Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I really like the camera. I had the K-5 and went to the K-3. I find the AF accuracy to be the single biggest advantage at this point. The camera is faster at everything which you notice pretty quickly. I'm doing a lot of B&W and the 24MP sensor produces a nice fine grain even at high ISO.

WB has been different in color. I'm getting use to it, but not everyone seems to having WB issues. I've been using my 31mm mostly so AF speed is really not something I can judge.
I think WB issues have to do with Lightroom not having a K3 update yet. With Silky Pix it seems better (but I hate the Pentax software package so I just work with Lightroom).

11-19-2013, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Come on, be fair an talk about the con too. One good reason to keep the K-5 around is the mechanical SR during video. The K-3 doesn't have that anymore. It has the digital pseudo SR, that causes the jello effect. I'm baffled as to why they did that. Well that's the one and only con that I know of.
Jello effect is caused by cmos inability to shut off instantaneously hence you can see the 'wave' shut off as moved position during hence jello it has nothing at all to do with SR be it mechanical or electronic.

The reason they did it is pretty obvious think audio recording, and if that doesn't give you the answer stick a screw drive lens on the camera and record video whilst using on demand AF you'll get the message loud and clear
11-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Jello effect is caused by cmos inability to shut off instantaneously hence you can see the 'wave' shut off as moved position during hence jello it has nothing at all to do with SR be it mechanical or electronic.
SR done in the video processing might not be the cause of the Jello-effect; the rolling shutter is. But electronic video processing does make it much worse. It exaggerates any jello effect that is present. That is why all K-5 spinoffs, with their electronic SR, show the Jello Effect so badly and the old K-5 itself doesn't. (Unless you pan like a madman on steroids.)

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The reason they did it is pretty obvious think audio recording, and if that doesn't give you the answer stick a screw drive lens on the camera and record video whilst using on demand AF you'll get the message loud and clear
That screwdrive lens is going to make that sound with or without mechanical SR.
11-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me going from a K20D to K-5, the big difference was IQ. If you get an image on a K-5, it's top of class. You may be limited by slower AF, not as good low light performance, slower processing time, but in terms of IQ on captures, the K-5 IMHO is still tops if you consider everything but resolution. . The K-3 is a faster processing, more advanced AF, faster burst mode, to me the K-3 is an action camera…. wildlife, fast moving kids etc. It's not the same upgrade as K20D to K-5. It's a different up grade, and every bit as satisfying. The K-5 addressed absolute IQ, the K-3 addressed the things that take a toll on your keeper rate. It's a different kind of joy. But still a joy.

11-19-2013, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think for "ME" I'm going to keep my K5 and get a K3 so I'll have the best of both worlds
11-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
Forum Member

K-5 II to K-3

Please let me know if it is worth moving from k-5 II to k-3. Sorry if i have hijacked the thread.
11-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #22

K-5 to K-3

I'm a K100D Super (sold) -> K20D (given to a friend) -> K-7 -> K-5 -> K-3 user

I think the K-5 to K-3 is as big a changed as the K20D to K-7

Last edited by CypherOz; 11-21-2013 at 12:37 AM.
11-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trumanusa Quote
Please let me know if it is worth moving from k-5 II to k-3. Sorry if i have hijacked the thread.
I went from the K5IIs to the K3. If you put value on all of the things that have been mentioned and want even better Autofocus than the K5IIs offers, then yes it definitely is.