Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 Body Cap

I am very enthusiastic about the new K-3 BUT I am disappointed that the Pentax Body Cap continues to be the flimsy white cap that continually falls off. Yes I bought a couple on eBay for a couple of bucks but honestly - please Ricoh - it is time for a ten cent upgrade for a body cap appropriate for a top notch camera.

11-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I am very enthusiastic about the new K-3 BUT I am disappointed that the Pentax Body Cap continues to be the flimsy white cap that continually falls off. Yes I bought a couple on eBay for a couple of bucks but honestly - please Ricoh - it is time for a ten cent upgrade for a body cap appropriate for a top notch camera.
I know that the bayonet cap is of much better quality, but it puts wear on your mount contacts every time you take it on and off. So I prefer to stick with the plastic push-in cap, which feels much better than the thin caps Pentax was using in the A-series film era.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Can honestly say when I buy a new camera the body cap comes off never to return. But that is just me, I understand it can be annoying when manufacturers get really stingy.
11-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I honestly thought the body cap thingy was just packing material.
So people actually use these? What for?

11-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I've never had a problem with those body caps falling off, I mostly use them on my extension tubes and teleconverters because my bodies always have a lens mounted.
11-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's packing material and nothing more.
11-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I know that the bayonet cap is of much better quality, but it puts wear on your mount contacts every time you take it on and off. So I prefer to stick with the plastic push-in cap, which feels much better than the thin caps Pentax was using in the A-series film era.
Thanks for the insight - I didn't know the caps wore on the contact points - I'll go back to using the plastic. I store my camera without a lens but capped so to me it is an item I use beyond just packing material in a box.

11-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recommend going for the premium SMC-Pentax Mount Cap - otherwise known as the DAL 18-55.
11-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I recommend going for the premium SMC-Pentax Mount Cap - otherwise known as the DAL 18-55.
I was thinking the DA 40, not much bigger than a body cap.
11-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

the only thing I'd try and do with a body cap would be to try and make a pin hole camera out of it lol
11-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Surely no more wear than attaching and removing a lens, though? The cap is plastic after all?
11-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just use the DA 40.
11-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

One thing, though. Any lens you leave on the body is having it's aperture arm being pushed all the way open, all of the time, even when the camera's off. This doesn't apply to the K-01. For this reason, and because my camera storage case is so full now (I can store the bodies in a narrower spot if they don't have a lens mounted), I have taken to using the body caps when storing my cameras.
11-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I just use the DA 40.
+1 me too, or the DA21, or the FA43.
11-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
Surely no more wear than attaching and removing a lens, though? The cap is plastic after all?
Definitely not, but I still see it as unnecessary wear.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: