Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron: It isn't a destination - it is a journey!

I choose not to despair Big Brother has a tiny scored advantage. Our K3 objective was credibility - which has been earned.

Save the ISO80 issue - which a few here have also lamented - K3 might have actually scored above the Nikon. But so what? It's so good as it is!!! We should pay attention to the actual rating, not the comparison, and shout Hallelujah from mountaintops (then shoot landscapes) that we have the camera we have.

The next 12 months there will be joy in Pentaxland - I tell you, it is true. Be of good cheer!

Last edited by monochrome; 11-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.
11-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Potential K-3 purchasers might want to read Lloyd Chambers' review of both the K-3 and the new DA HD Ltd. lenses. Chambers is a well respected commentator on photographic gear. While he focuses mostly on Nikon and Canon (and to a lesser degree, Leica) he has taken an interest lately in Pentax.

He is very positive about the K-3. However, he is not so positive about the lenses (especially the wide angles).

See diglloyd - Advanced Photography. I'm not so sure how much is available without subscription to Chamber's DAP (digilloyd's andvanced photography). However, a subscription might be worthwhile for those contemplating a new lens purchase.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 11-25-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
11-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
To markkuk, thank you for posting this link, I've added it to the list.
Somehow I'm not surprised that dxomark finds the Nikon superior, they usually do. But it doesn't agree with most of the other test review conclusions.
A bit odd, to say the least.
K-3, Camera of the Year, 2013.
Ron
DXO Mark, for whatever reason, doesn't look at banding, which is one of the biggest ways to spoil shadow recovery from a sensor. The D7100 is much more prone to banding than the K3 sensor. So even if the dynamic range looks like more on the D7100, I don't buy that there is any more "usable" DR.
11-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks to monochrome, Byrd-2020 and Rondec for the comments and suggestions.
@ Byrd, you're right, I wasn't able to open anything on the diglloyd site without a subscription. I'll leave it up to members to decide whether they wish to do so.
As the list stands, it's all non-subscription, and your post provides the diglloyd link.
Thanks again,
Ron

11-27-2013, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
The Phoblographer has completed his review:

Review: Pentax K3 - The Phoblographer
11-27-2013, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

some reviews are just good

Pentax K-3 Review | PhotographyBLOG
11-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Reviews!

Hello civano, thanks for adding the full review link, I've added it right after the 'first impressions' Phoblographer link.

Hi Macario, I agree, that's one of the best reviews so far! I just added it yesterday, it's at the bottom of the listing. TFP.
Ron

11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"While they have wonderful bokeh and great image quality, Pentax’s legendary primes are a tad soft when compared with many modern optics. And so to get the best results we recommend stopping down just a bit lest you believe that you’re not in focus."

Well that's a first for me. Never heard it before. Not disputing it per se - but I'd sure like to know which third-party modern lenses are so much sharper than Pentax's legendary primes.
11-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The sharpness criticism was new to me as well.
11-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"While they have wonderful bokeh and great image quality, Pentax’s legendary primes are a tad soft when compared with many modern optics. And so to get the best results we recommend stopping down just a bit lest you believe that you’re not in focus."

Well that's a first for me.
That's not the only thing that is wrong in the review of the Fauxblahgrapher.
11-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ed Checks In!

Thanks to tabl10s for finding this one; Ed, from Photo Universe, 'gushing' over the K-3. A bit long @ 30 minutes, but very entertaining.
It's at the bottom of the list, page 1.
Ron
11-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
20 And Still Counting!

Thanks to Spodeworld for finding a new review from Neocamera. It's particularly useful for pointing out the differences between the K-5 'family' and the K-3, including the features that didn't make it onto the K-3. Overall, they do like the camera.
It's at the bottom of the list on page 1.
Ron
12-02-2013, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

DC Watch Japan posted on Friday Part 2 of their K-3 'long term usage' review, mainly some comparisons with the K-5 IIs.
Part one of their K-3 usage report is here.
12-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for posting, rawr. I've added it to the main list.
Ron
12-04-2013, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

This is a fairly in-depth review:
Pentax K-3 Review: Sharp and Speedy, No Video AF

And uses an interesting subject to test moire: bird feathers.
He gets a point for catching the HDR bug where the camera mucks w/ your aperture (uber fail for the Pentax QA department)-:
And loses a point over obsessing over AF during video...DSLRs aren't camcorders and you should be really focusing manually...