Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first ever video

I don't do video, the most I've ever done in the past is tripod and go. So this is a first for me. Used an Apex mini-condenser microphone and the K3 for this. It's dark, but the venue is almost pitch black aside from the spot light at the front of the stage. enjoy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lkphotographics/11003475075/

11-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hey,
it's dark yes. but aside from that, i like how you switch between wide views and closeups of the guitar e.g. Ofcourse, the ideal would be to do this with two cameras.
what iso was this? to be honest, i like how the K3 seems to perform.
11-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It is pretty dark, I would have preferred a bit more light but without knowing the actual light levels you may have had nowhere to go, exposure-wise.
That said for a single camera shoot you have done it rather well.
I would love to see what a common-or-garden camera phone would have made of this challenge (a ton of grain or white ghost faces)
11-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very good, the quality of this video is better that what I have done with my K-5.

11-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
hey,
it's dark yes. but aside from that, i like how you switch between wide views and closeups of the guitar e.g. Ofcourse, the ideal would be to do this with two cameras.
what iso was this? to be honest, i like how the K3 seems to perform.
Thanks, yes, I would have loved a second shooter to help me with this one. I would have also loved a an LED light source of some kind like a Manfrotto MIDI-LED or something....something for Christmas list. The iso was at 3200, f2.8 and I think 1/60.

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
It is pretty dark, I would have preferred a bit more light but without knowing the actual light levels you may have had nowhere to go, exposure-wise.
That said for a single camera shoot you have done it rather well.
I would love to see what a common-or-garden camera phone would have made of this challenge (a ton of grain or white ghost faces)
Even doing the stills it was hard to get a decent exposure in natural light with a 3200, f2.8 1/30, and even then that introduced motion blur. The stage area is pretty much black, worst stage I've ever shot on.

My buddy tried with his iPhone4 and he gave up when all he saw was the highlight reflections on the edges of the skin of the singer and reflections on the guitar hardware.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Very good, the quality of this video is better that what I have done with my K-5.
Thanks. I've only done video a handful of times on my K5, but everytime the audio clipped like mad. So having microphone control and an external mic was key for me on this.

I'm going to be at this venue doing video again in August, but will be doing other venues in the new year too. I eventually want to have a board out recording of the show, plus two cameras going.
11-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Given those impossibly low light levels, the results are superb.
It sounds like you hope to get a recording off the mixing desk in future gigs. My experience is that these recordings rarely materialise and I would stick with your current separate mic setup. If you get a mixing desk recording then all the better, but these can sometimes be quite spartan with minimal audience sound and some instruments may not go through the desk at all, so even ideally the best sound may be a combination of desk and camera audio.
11-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Given those impossibly low light levels, the results are superb.
It sounds like you hope to get a recording off the mixing desk in future gigs. My experience is that these recordings rarely materialise and I would stick with your current separate mic setup. If you get a mixing desk recording then all the better, but these can sometimes be quite spartan with minimal audience sound and some instruments may not go through the desk at all, so even ideally the best sound may be a combination of desk and camera audio.
could also do a standalone audio recorder somewhere in the room too. Just to get a better balance.