Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
White Balance - AWB - Power on/off

Does the White Balance function operate different in the K-3 vs K-5? It seems the K-3 resets the White Balance to AWB on power off/on. On the K-5 it believe it remains where last set.

I do a fair amount of panoramic photography and tried out the K-3 for the first time today for a 360x180 using the Bower 8mm fisheye. In most rooms the light is varied so I usually pick a most important area, set the white balance and also take a ColorChecker shot for camera/lens calibration. Shooting method is Live View and 5 bracketed shots so I shut the camera off between activities to preserve battery life.

With the K-5 the white balance remained the same with power on/off, with the K-5 it reverts back to AWB.

Not a problem since having it stay the same has burned me in the past just as having it reset burned me today. All in all I prefer having it reset to AWB provided the K1,2,3 values remain after turn on. I will need to check this out.

11-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't this part of the memory menu? I think my K-3 remembered its WB setting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
With the K-5 the white balance remained the same with power on/off, with the K-5 it reverts back to AWB.
Huh??
11-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Memory is greyed out in User Defined Mode - maybe the K-5 was the same

I set up a User Mode for panorama since it requires multiple settings that I do not ordinarily use in other types of shooting. When the dial is set to User 2 (panorama in my case) then Memory is greyed out and WB reverts to AWB with On/Off. With the K-5 I reset all the options manually each time after hitting reset.

11-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was my error. I have not used User Defined mode with manual white balance in the past. I thought since WB is a 4-way controller function it would not be impacted by User Defined, my error it is. I saved my panorama settings using AWB thinking I would set Manual WB for each panorama. Shutting the machine on and off with User Defined selected will bring the camera back to the original WB when User Defined was saved. All I needed to change was the have my Panorama User Defined saved after selecting Manual WB1 and then just remember MWB1 is the WB to use for panoramas. The camera is more logical then I am.