Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 Review up on DXOmark

Seems solid.

As per one of the comments, we may get to finally see some DA* zooms reviewed on the K-5IIs..

Last edited by Clarkey; 11-25-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Comment re: lens review.
11-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You were beaten to the punch by ogl (about 10 hours ago), here.
11-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ouch. The sensor rates worse than my K5. That was REALLY unexpected. Maybe they got a bad one?
11-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Ouch. The sensor rates worse than my K5. That was REALLY unexpected. Maybe they got a bad one?
It's not worse. In fact it's better considering K-3 has no ISO 80 and has 50% more pixels.
It's quite remarkable but just shows that it's the same tech, bears same results and any difference is not noticeable with naked eye.

11-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It's not worse. In fact it's better considering K-3 has no ISO 80 and has 50% more pixels.
It's quite remarkable but just shows that it's the same tech, bears same results and any difference is not noticeable with naked eye.
No it is worse. The per sensor area performance of the K3 is lower than the k5. If it was better the K3 would rank higher in "print" based metrics.
11-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

they make the point in the conclusion that they haven't tested the sensor for resolving power as yet. which will surely be why you'd want the K3 anyway (in terms of sensor)? if it proved to be lacking detail, then you worry. If it was noisy and destroying data, then you worry. but there are enough pics already out there to suggest that the sensor is capturing a hell of a lot of detail, and the noise seems to be very fine, manageable and actually quite nice, adding realism where some camera's look plasticky. I wouldn't be stressing about anything in that "review".
11-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

These scores should keep Ricoh on their toes. Ricoh can't afford to be complacent, especially when DxOMark shows competitors can sometimes use the same Sony sensors, and get higher scores in the lab.

11-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
These scores should keep Ricoh on their toes. Ricoh can't afford to be complacent, especially when DxOMark shows competitors can sometimes use the same Sony sensors, and get higher scores in the lab.
Could Ricoh possibly solve it with firmware though? I am hoping that a firmware update does not only improve stability, but some of the problems people have stated such as jpeg engine problems, higher perceived noise? lower DR, etc.
11-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jbloomerjo Quote
Could Ricoh possibly solve it with firmware though?
I think they could probably tune up everything a little better, which might impact some of the areas of sensor performance that DxOMark measures.

But the horse has already bolted - DxOMark isn't going to re-test the K-3. So if Ricoh tweak the K-3 firmware so that suddenly it performs way better than any other 24MP APS-C, we will never know.
11-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You were beaten to the punch by ogl (about 10 hours ago), here.
Hmm. Yes, I did.
I did search prior to posting too - but not in the Camera section. Seems that is where we now put this stuff.
11-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yeah! I myself have several lab charts framed on my walls.
12-02-2013, 01:41 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad truth for many gearheads around the Internet forums: DXO is irrelevant to normal users.

All techno babble and nitpicking aside, 99.97% of people won't be able to see any difference under 99.97% of circumstances between the K5 and K3. If you can, out of camera, then those who claim that don't have expertise to handle K-3 files and no PP skills.

What most dissecting here are digital sensor equivalents of developer formulas from the days of film; one uses emulsions made with same tech, but by tweaking something in the developer formula the result gained from same emulsions can be slightly different under the microscope and in some types of shots. Same goes for same tech used in sensor production; they are equivalent emulsions.

And then, some make PhD dissertations out of it, making statements are of no use to normal people. Because if that were true, people would stop buying Canon cameras long ago — all Canon cameras have (considerably) lower DXO marks than Pentax's or Nikon's.

But what it means in real life? Nothing. Quite the opposite is true: Canon sells their cameras by truckloads, and more than all others. So who really cares for DXO marks and numbers? DXO has arguably helped Pentax in forums such as this, during times when Pentax had nothing else to boast about: when flash metering was a disaster, AF too, buffer and writing too slow, sensor had spots, etc. DXO mark of the K-5 was the only bragging right.

But in terms of Sony's sensors used nowadays, we have come back to good old film days. The game is now even. If you cannot take a good photograph or have a reason to dismiss one camera because in the lab it has a 1 grade lower DXO mark, it's not the gear — it's the photographer and quasi scientific excuses for pretentiousness.

Do yourself a favour and get a Pentax / Nikon / Leica / etc. camera based on what it offers to you beside the chip.
12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Best post I have read in quite some time. The single biggest gripe I have with my k7 is the auto focus. Every one goes on and on about the bells and whistles promoting sharpness blah blah blah...If my k7 had the auto focus capabilities to match Nikons best I would never upgrade. It simply does not matter how good everything else is - if the af system misses focus you miss the shot and it is all for nought.