Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #61
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My observations using both cameras would confirm that at least for the K-5 and K-3. For landscape, I may continue to carry the K-5, keeping the K-3 on a long lens for wildlife. MInd you, the K-3 is still quite a bit better than my K-x or K20D. Let's keep it in perspective. But you aren't going to pull detail out of the depths of the shadows like you could on the K-5. Proper exposure is more critical.
Hi Norm, that is a really helpful comment from me regarding the K5 vs K3 differences in real world landscape. Thanks. Ross

12-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon may have faster focusing on paper, but it's not as accurate as Pentax, I get more keepers with my K5 than I do with my 1D (OK an older camera). Another problem with Canon auto focus is you have to send them in for re-callibration every few thousand frames at £60 a pop. A colleague of mine who does Event photography, and takes thousands of frames, has to send his 1D and 5D cameras in several times a year, til he does only 1 in 3 frames are actually in focus!

Image quality is visibly better on my K5 than any Canon full frame I've used (and I've used then all), Canon are old technology and have to use full frame sensors to get close to the IQ in the newer Sony APS sensors used in Pentax cameras.

I can't comment on Nikon as I haven't used them much.

Chris
12-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #63
Pentaxian

My observations using both cameras would confirm that at least for the K-5 and K-3.
You responded to wahid_satu who looked at DxOMark "screen" data.
The latter does not allow a fair comparison.

Are your observations based on 100% pixel peeping or are they based on comparing images at the same level of magnification?
In the former case, the K-3 would obviously be disadvantaged.
In the latter case, you should be seeing minimal differences only.

With the exception of ISO 80 (that doesn't exist on the K-3) the DxOMark measurements for the K-3 and K-5 are very close to each other.

But you aren't going to pull detail out of the depths of the shadows like you could on the K-5. Proper exposure is more critical.
Would you be able to post two shots from the K-3 and K-5 respectively to demonstrate your observation?

It would be very interesting to see how much less latitude the K-3 provides in terms of pulling out shadow details.

According to the DxOMark measurements, there should be an insignificantly small difference only, but we know that they don't measure banding, for instance.