Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Thanks Ed. I just ran up a $7500 wish list while reading your post.

Like waving a red flag at a bull...

Easy to do in Nikonland

D810 = $2800 14-24mm = $1900 24-70mm = $1700 70-200mm = $2100 Total = $8500 OUCH!!

And why Pentax is the "affordable option"

K1 = $1800 15-40mm = $1450 24-70mm = $1300 70-200mm = $1700 Total = $6250

And the maximum (LEGENDARY lens) capability for landscapes for the least money (IMHO, YMMV)

6D = $1300 16-35 F4L IS = $1000 50mm 1.4 = $350 70-200mm F4 L IS = $1100 Total = $3750

(The EF 50 1.4 is an excellent lens, not legendary. )

If you go crop, and there no reason other than lack of LEGENDARY quality lenses why you couldn't, then you could save half again as much. And this is all predicated on buying new gear with a USA warranty.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 03:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vigerus Quote
Good opinion... Maybe wide Samyang is a solution. Manual focus could be faster than AF.

I don't think the wide Samyangs are able to take filters directly.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 03:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Well, the 15-30 does not take screw on filters but with a holder it takes filters...

https://www.google.se/search?q=LEE+SW150+MK+II&oq=LEE+SW150+MK+II&aqs=chrome...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I have been in this kind of situation before and probably will be again. It's tough enough with screw on filters...

08-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I only make a video when I have something that I want to say and think might be beneficial to somebody somewhere. Anyone who has followed my video journey knows that I have basically 2 professional requirements of my camera systems: 1.) Landscapes, which require the making and selling of up to 30x40 inch prints and panoramas, and 2.) Weddings, which don't tax any of the major systems too much these days.

So far the Fuji's have been great for weddings and not so great for landscapes. The XTrans sensors have issues when enlarging far away fine details in landscapes to 30x40. The "watercolor" effect is really a bad interpolation of data that makes fine details look like "little worms." All the major guys I have been using as examples of "great" Fuji work don't shoot "big landscapes." I am not sure if I could make it work or not, but I do know I don't want to waste a lot of time trying to find out if it does or not.

So that leaves me with Pentax for both pursuits. And there is no doubt in my mind that the K3 and K3II is more than capable of delivering the results I need for both of my requirements. We shot a wedding 2 weeks ago 100% Pentax and it was great.

BUT, lenses come in 4 major categories: bad, good, excellent and LEGENDARY. I have shot LEGENDARY glass. In 2008 I was shooting Nikon's 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 VR II. I have also shot Canon's 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 L II.

(Note, Canon never really had any LEGENDARY wide zooms until recently. The 11-24 and new 16-35 F4 L IS are LEGENDARY quality optics.)

For my landscape work, I have always struggled to find a Pentax APS-c wide lens that is of LEGENDARY quality. Some are excellent, but not LEGENDARY. Tony Northrop made a video in the last few days where he said Pentax's biggest mistake was making the K1 instead of focusing on the APS-c lens line and cameras. I feel the same way. I would have much preferred some LEGENDARY quality Pentax glass for APS-C instead of the K1. (Hey this is about what I would have wanted. ) Now Pentax has a LEGENDARY FF camera with no glass for it, yet.

The 15-30mm Tamron doesn't take filters. The 70-200 2.8 Tamron isn't smaller and lighter like the F4 Canons. The 24-70 Tamron I have no use for. So how fast can Ricoh come up with some LEGENDARY F4 Lenses for their K1? Why bother when B&H can have the Canon lenses at my door in a day?

At the end of the day, a camera bag with a 6D, 16-35mm F4L IS, 50mm 1.4, and 70-200 F4L IS, is going to be almost as light as a K3II with 12-24, 35 LTD, and 50-135mm, and much much lighter than the same bag with a K1, 15-30 (that doesn't take filters) 50mm, and 70-200mm 2.8 Tamron.

So there's a video here somewhere, but what has been holding me back is the desire to not have it sound like I'm saying Pentax is "no good." What I want to say is that Ricoh made a marketing decision to pursue full frame, when what attracted me to the system was their commitment to APS-c. Ricoh has now split their attentions, and made it less likely to give me what I want, (I want, not what EVERYBODY SHOULD WANT,) and I am reevaluating my options...

If Fuji had traditional Bayer sensors, it would be game over. If Ricoh concentrated on a full lens set for APS-c, game over. If the K1 gets anything resembling the 16-35mm F4L IS, game over. I could make any of those scenarios work. Or just order a 6D and 3 Canon lenses and I'm done... (for now. for landscapes. )
Hey, Man,

I bought two 58 AF-2 because that's what you reviewed.
08-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Hey, Man,

I bought two 58 AF-2 because that's what you reviewed.

Great flash units! I added a Metz 52 recently. Another great unit. Not as powerful as the 58, but a little smaller and lighter.
08-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #94

"Tony Northrop made a video in the last few days where he said Pentax's biggest mistake was making the K1 instead of focusing on the APS-c lens line and cameras. I feel the same way. I would have much preferred some LEGENDARY quality Pentax glass for APS-C instead of the K1. (Hey this is about what I would have wanted. ) Now Pentax has a LEGENDARY FF camera with no glass for it, yet."

I have a little bit different opinion about it. I think that K1 is a camera that ware await by all thoose who have a legacy glass inn grater numbers. Try to attach legendary A series lenses or F,FA lenses. There is a lot of lenses to choose, especially when all that vitige glass is mostly up to par with 36mp sensor. That back compatibility is somthing that all Pentax users are gratfull for... A lot of People are using this equipment even if it's manual, becouse it is relatively cheap...yeahhh but maybe not for long now... We shoul remember about those lenses even if there are underestimated...

08-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vigerus Quote
"Tony Northrop made a video in the last few days where he said Pentax's biggest mistake was making the K1 instead of focusing on the APS-c lens line and cameras. I feel the same way. I would have much preferred some LEGENDARY quality Pentax glass for APS-C instead of the K1. (Hey this is about what I would have wanted. ) Now Pentax has a LEGENDARY FF camera with no glass for it, yet."

I have a little bit different opinion about it. I think that K1 is a camera that ware await by all thoose who have a legacy glass inn grater numbers. Try to attach legendary A series lenses or F,FA lenses. There is a lot of lenses to choose, especially when all that vitige glass is mostly up to par with 36mp sensor. That back compatibility is somthing that all Pentax users are gratfull for... A lot of People are using this equipment even if it's manual, becouse it is relatively cheap...yeahhh but maybe not for long now... We shoul remember about those lenses even if there are underestimated...

I agree. Tony Northrup is not figuring in legacy glass Pentax owners, and actually neither am I in those assessments. Starting from scratch is way different then starting with a bunch of legacy film FF lenses you already own.

The K1 is truly what anyone with any Takumar, K, M, A, F, or FA lenses was waiting for. Any pro could EASILY put together a fantastic K1 system if they had reliable access to those older lenses (like they already owned them.)

But if you got no FF lenses and need to buy them all anyway, it's a lot easier putting Canon or Nikon lenses that already exist in your cart at B&H than it is trolling ebay for un-abused legacy lenses. Which is the premise that I think Tony and I are using. What's available new, right now.

It also has to be pointed out that none of the legacy lenses have any of the modern benefits of weather sealing and ring drive AF motors either. (Some would say that's a good thing too. I get that. )
08-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #96

Thanks for understanding - according to this point. Of course that new lenses have great coatings and they are more advanced in af aid, but also new lenses mostely are packed with optical elements and as we know thats flatten the image... Further more lot of modern lenses are less durable then glass and brass. I have k3ii and pairing it with Industar, Helios and new modern lenses too, but my S17-50 needed mechanical service becouse it is plastic. That why I hope that some that I can afford to buy Limiteds. Everything now is build for limited time of use with additiomal low resistance for unpredictable situations that can cause damage. Only high end products shows some quality, but somtimes they are ONLY shows but they aren't. You just think that is gonna last for ever, but well... I think also that Pentax is a company that delivers more durable products in similar price point then C/N/S. That why lot of amateurs and proffesionals that are gathering equipment look after 2nd hand lenses and bodys in C/N/S systems becouse they want to buy higher quality for lower price. If someone can afford new stuff, then everything is simple: selection, shopping, testing (sometimes repleacment is needed :-/). Have a good day and God Bless!

Last edited by Vigerus; 08-03-2016 at 12:28 AM.
08-03-2016, 02:42 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Like waving a red flag at a bull...

Easy to do in Nikonland

D810 = $2800 14-24mm = $1900 24-70mm = $1700 70-200mm = $2100 Total = $8500 OUCH!!

And why Pentax is the "affordable option"

K1 = $1800 15-40mm = $1450 24-70mm = $1300 70-200mm = $1700 Total = $6250

And the maximum (LEGENDARY lens) capability for landscapes for the least money (IMHO, YMMV)

6D = $1300 16-35 F4L IS = $1000 50mm 1.4 = $350 70-200mm F4 L IS = $1100 Total = $3750

(The EF 50 1.4 is an excellent lens, not legendary. )

If you go crop, and there no reason other than lack of LEGENDARY quality lenses why you couldn't, then you could save half again as much. And this is all predicated on buying new gear with a USA warranty.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 03:31 PM ----------

I don't think the wide Samyangs are able to take filters directly.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 03:33 PM ----------

I have been in this kind of situation before and probably will be again. It's tough enough with screw on filters...

Landscape Photography Fail - Damaged 10 Stop ND Filter & Polarising Filter. Nightmare Vlog. - YouTube
I think that there are actually few people who go out and buy all three of the f2.8 zooms from any of these companies. I would guess more people buy a normal zoom 24-70 f2.8 or f4 and then get a couple of primes to fill in around it. Over time, they can add additional lenses.

If cost was an object, I would get the K-1 with a Samyang 14mm f2.8, Tamron 28-75 and Tamron 70-200 which ends up being about 3500. The fact that all of those lenses end up being stabilized with Pentax is an added plus that you wouldn't get with a 6D if you stick the same lenses on it.

08-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that there are actually few people who go out and buy all three of the f2.8 zooms from any of these companies. I would guess more people buy a normal zoom 24-70 f2.8 or f4 and then get a couple of primes to fill in around it. Over time, they can add additional lenses.

If cost was an object, I would get the K-1 with a Samyang 14mm f2.8, Tamron 28-75 and Tamron 70-200 which ends up being about 3500. The fact that all of those lenses end up being stabilized with Pentax is an added plus that you wouldn't get with a 6D if you stick the same lenses on it.

Depends on the target audience. The big three lenses are bread and butter for pros.

You could go 6D (or any Canon FF including the 5Dsr at 50mp's) with 16-35 F4L IS ($999) 24-70 F4L IS ($899) and 70-200 F4L IS ($1199) and have in lens stabilization for all three for $3000 for the lenses.

One big difference is that with the 70-200 in lens stabilization, the image through the viewfinder is stabilized while your composing. A drawback of in body stabilization is the image jumps around as if it's not stabilized while composing.

And the IQ of the Tamron 28-75 is good, but not in the same ballpark as the 24-70 Canon L. Though it is 2.8 and not 4.

I'd rather shoot weddings with your choices and landscapes with mine... Neither is "wrong" just running through the choices.

And there is no way I'd want to shoot weddings with any of the FF 2.8 choices. I'll stick with the K3's and Tamron 17-50 for that!

We live in a great, if not confusing, time to be photographers.