Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I did it! New k-3 owner!

Was making all the moves to jump ship to Nikon for a ff… but after much research & an in-depth discussion with the local shop employee, I pulled the trigger on a limited edition silver k-3 last night! Stellar reviews, man! The shop employee challenged me to do the research, and I'm glad he did! Now I have a backup and I can keep my lenses!

Phew, avoided that bullet! You know, besides the specs & reviews, one of the things that really convinced me to stick with Pentax is what the shop employee had to say about the company itself. According to him, Ricoh/Pentax is very easy to work with, responsive, generous, and just an all around solid company that treats its employees, vendors & customers very well. He had not so nice things to say about Nikon, I'm afraid.

If Pentax ever does release a ff, I'll be the first in line, but I am now very excited about my new cam! Looks like they've released a real gem with the k-3!

Anyway, for anyone else who has contemplated jumping to another brand, why have you stayed?

12-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gotta ask: What shop?

And congrats by the way. k-3 is really sweet.
12-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Gotta ask: What shop?

And congrats by the way. k-3 is really sweet.
Robi's in Lakewood, WA.
12-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well you are the second person to post recently that Robi's has upped their Pentax game. That's good news. I'm not close (4 hours) but I do stop in when I am in the area.

12-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
For those of you who own one, please tell me the histogram is easy to access, view/remove. That is the ONE thing I forgot to check out. Can it be viewed on the top panel so it doesn't obstruct the photo previews on the back?
12-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
The shop guy basically steered me away from a $3,000+ camera to one half that price. He was very knowledgeable, though. It was an informative conversation. His opinions were not just opinions, but very well informed. I was impressed. He even shoots Nikon & still he thought my best bet was the K-3. I'm excited to see the resolution in person-- my main complaint about the K-30 has been the loss of facial details that occurs when I have to step back to get the frame I want on the cropped sensor… I'm hoping that will no longer be an issue with the new sensor/resolution on the K-3
12-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysmichellerene Quote
Anyway, for anyone else who has contemplated jumping to another brand, why have you stayed?
Every brand, system and camera has it's pros and cons. Every usage scenario or shooting style or job environment can also have it's own camera requirements. Sometimes people have to weigh up a lot of things when choosing a camera.

It's also worth mentioning that different systems can co-exist happily in the same camera bag sometimes It doesn't always need to be an either/or decision.

12-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, it does if your finances are limited… I couldn't afford (at this time) to support two systems. Maybe in the future. We'll see.

Last edited by alwaysmichellerene; 12-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.
12-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For those of you who own one, please tell me the histogram is easy to access, view/remove. That is the ONE thing I forgot to check out. Can it be viewed on the top panel so it doesn't obstruct the photo previews on the back?
The historgam can't be viewed on the small top LCD, unfortunately. However that its a good idea. But the resolution of the top LCD probably isn't up to the task. It's only pretty simple LCD.
12-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Can histogram be switched on & off without accessing a menu?
12-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I couldn't not afford (at this time) to support two systems.
Just keep an eye on local auctions and eBay And some systems - eg NEX - make co-existence with Pentax easy, since mounting Pentax lenses on NEX is simple. Other systems may be more complicated and expensive to maintain alongside each other.
12-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just keep an eye on local auctions and eBay And some systems - eg NEX - make co-existence with Pentax easy, since mounting Pentax lenses on NEX is simple. Other systems may be more complicated and expensive to maintain alongside each other.
Great advice. Thanks! I'm not opposed if there would be some cross over.
12-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Can histogram be switched on & off without accessing a menu?
Not that I am aware of. You have to go to playback mode, then hit the Info button.

It would be handy to be able to assign Histogram display to a one-button press of the RAW/Fx button, but that isn't one of the items you can assign to that button at the moment.
12-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not that I am aware of. You have to go to playback mode, then hit the Info button.

It would be handy to be able to assign Histogram display to a one-button press of the RAW/Fx button, but that isn't one of the items you can assign to that button at the moment.
Grumble.
12-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Ricoh/Pentax is very easy to work with, responsive, generous, and just an all around solid company that treats its employees, vendors & customers very well
That would be a glowing accolade for any company, enjoy that K-3.