Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

"4. FOCUS PRIORITY LITERALLY"

I'll second that, provide that they also keep 1.

The reason for C3 16 I believe is to allow you to start with release priority, since for the first frame you are in full control of when best to release the shutter whereas in the subsequent shots you have no choice but to let the camera decide - otherwise it would not be continuous shooting after all.

Usually I find the best combination as C3 16 release priority and C3 17 in focus priority. That way I can make sure I shoot the first frame at the exact moment I want to, taking care myself about whether the image is in focus or not and then for the rapid fire shots allow the camera to take its time to achieve focus rather than just shooting blindly at 8FPS with no time to focus.

Typically with this combination I will get only a few images out of focus in a sequence and a reasonable but variable frame rate.

Sometimes I will set also C£ 17 to release priority - I would do this either because the subject would not be moving to/away from me quickly and needs very little focusing between frames or else I just want to be guaranteed a steady non variant frame rate - such as when capturing a sequence of a bird landing and I am more interested in capturing detail of the motion than absolute sharpness.

12-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I haven't done a proper test since I didn't have sports to do these weeks, but it is better then K-5, and no idea to what extend.
12-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #18

Original Poster
lister6520, thank you for interesting thoughts on configuring AF.C modes!
12-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #19

Cancel AF

Has anybody figured out how Cancel AF works?
I have my K30 set on Continuous AF and Release priority. I was imagining the Cancel AF would work the following way. I keep AF-ing continuosly until I decide to freeze the AF. At this point I press the AF/AE-L button which stops the AF and then I take a shot.
I was suprized to see that didn't happen. The camera continued to AF no matter if I was pressing the AF/AE-L button or not. More than that, if I keep the AF/AE-L button pressed for a second or two it keeps doing the AF. Even after I release the AF/AE-L button the AF keeps working. It stops only after I press the shutter.
I have 1.06 firmware. Any ideas?