Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DPReview - no favors from them

Personally I like the reviews in DPReview. However their holiday comparison of DSLR's compares the Nikon D7100 to the Pentax K-5II and K-5IIs

They have had the K-3 long enough to do an evaluation and include it in their comparative recommendations of cameras for Christmas. I am disappointed, I'll guess we'll see thier evaluation of the K-3 in February?

12-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Banned

You have a K-3. Why do you need a review to validate that purchase?
12-04-2013, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
You have a K-3. Why do you need a review to validate that purchase?
Good point.
What I would like is more people buying Pentax and get more third party lenses supported for Pentax. For example it would be nice if the entire Sigma line supported Pentax, if the Tamron line supported Pentax, etc.

From the comments of Pentax/Ricoh executives it is the low percentage of Pentax users that results in the limited 3rd party lens offerings.

More users may result in more lens options.

Maybe it would not drive a lot of people to decide in favor of Pentax over Nikon or Canon, but even a small percentage could make a big impact on Pentax's piece of the pie. In other words a small number leaving the larger suppliers of Nikon and Canon could significantly bolster Pentax's market position. That doesn't even include Olympus and Sony buyers who might consider Pentax.

So for me it is self vindication but more importantly, getting Pentax supported on third party lens lines to a greater extent than it is supported today. I want a choice to add a long telephoto, today the only option is the Sigma 500 and even that option does not have the features (focus limiting, SDM) available on other mounts of the same lens.
12-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
What I would like is more people buying Pentax
That's their job, not yours. You don't get paid for it. You and other 'team players' won't get them significant sales enough to compel third parties to produce lenses. That effort will come from the source. Such campaigns will ensure sustainability of the brand enough where third parties will assume the risk associated with this. For instance, Zeiss has much less to do to keep ZK lenses running, especially with what they cost, but they don't. This should point you to how little demand there is and how much of the burden relies on now Ricoh and not word or mouth. In fact, ZK lenses are mostly heavily discounted out here, as NOS.

but even a small percentage could make a big impact on Pentax's piece of the pie.
Unfortunately, it won't. Now, for instance, the K-01 became some ridiculous best-seller in Japan and that didn't drive anyone to even consider anything. Right now, we should be lucky that Sigma is giving us the 35 1.4 and the 18-35 and keeping most-all of their current line up. Same for Tamron.

Regardless, you have a K-3, so if you're frustrated, I think you should put together your own proper review and promotional campaign for it. Don't wait for others to do it and be perpetually frustrated (look at how many DPR reviews going back a couple years on even major manufacturers are still in the preview phase. D4?).

DPR is not the be-all, end-all.

And in my market, a review won't help in the least, since my region's distributor don't particularly do much for the brand. We have an infrastructure problem here that consumers that think they are on a brand's 'team' can't resolve. Only Ricoh can and they need some time to do it. And unfortunately, that is the nature of big corporations- endless meetings, operational lag. They need to keep what works in Pentax's infrastructure, remove the what doesn't. That will take years of corporate meetings, unfortunately. And that is not a snipe or a joke.

The fact that you feel you have to do this, while made acceptable somehow in this area, signals problems and the years of neglect of this brand. It's not a start up in need of grassroots and crowdfunding and other forms of charity. Ricoh needs to be incentivized to push the brand and make it perform and hopefully they see such things as profits as incentive enough.

Last edited by snake; 12-04-2013 at 04:51 AM.
12-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All good points. Let's hope good products like the K-3, continued leading technology product development by RICOH, and good marketing by RICOH (to me this includes with organizations like DPReview to get out timely fair reviews) will improve Pentax in many respects in addition to very good cameras, AND personally I would still like to see more of the Sigma long telephoto line supported on Pentax - self serving interest.
12-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
Banned

to me this includes with organizations like DPReview to get out timely fair reviews
I have to ask- why is DPR the be all, end all?

We have several people here spamming DPR to get people to visit this forum and they spout off on its legitimacy, so why isn't the review from here being pushed as the legitimate one, especially since DPR doesn't have one yet?

DPR=Amazon. Nothing more, nothing less. It's an elaborate storefront, much like this one is for BH and Adorama. Both sites are driven by what they can sell. This one, more restricted, however, to a Pentax scope, so why not push this review here?

And Ricoh needs to be hit with what the former-Pentax infrastructure failings are. I've discussed realistically my market's problems with the Ricoh distro, and then been slammed for it (mostly in those private areas of the forum). This is what Ricoh needs to see. They don't read this forum. People need to take it to them direct.

Last edited by snake; 12-04-2013 at 06:48 AM.
12-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
They don't read this forum.
If true, they've got to be the dumbest people on earth.

12-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It's been confirmed.

And I think it could be a good thing for them.

12-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
They read it more often than you'd expect, but obviously they're not going to post here themselves.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Personally I like the reviews in DPReview. However their holiday comparison of DSLR's compares the Nikon D7100 to the Pentax K-5II and K-5IIs

They have had the K-3 long enough to do an evaluation and include it in their comparative recommendations of cameras for Christmas. I am disappointed, I'll guess we'll see thier evaluation of the K-3 in February?
DPReview is really no longer the site for me that I will visit to find out something about a cameramodel.
certainly not a recent model. maybe it is my subjective impression, but it always seems to take ages...
12-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They read it more often than you'd expect, but obviously they're not going to post here themselves.
I'd like to think that the "they" from Pentax/Ricoh who occasionally read this forum are the real corporate decision makers in Japan but I'm betting that's not the case. I'd also be willing to bet that the actual decision makers in Japan haven't ever taken a picture with anything other than a point and shoot camera. Ricoh is a huge corporation who like all others is driven by the bottom line and their focus is on the areas that give them the biggest bang for the buck. High end DSLR's are a tiny little part of their multinational corporation. I'm actually surprised and happy that Pentax has gotten the attention at Ricoh that it has. Still, I think that all of us Pentax users showing our Pentax cameras in public and pestering camera shops to support Pentax will help get the brand moving again as well as more options for us Pentax users. I also am planning on a fast long lens and right now my only option is the Sigma 300mm 2.8 but that needs Sigma's 1.4 teleconvertor which Sigma recently stopped making for Pentax....
12-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just a thought... if they do visit the forums as often as you leave to believe, should we have a dedicated place where we can put "requests" for upgrades (firmware or hardware) and wish lists for future equipment!?
I was thinking a dedicated place will be much easier to go trough for them then be all over the place. I guess heavy moderation will be a good thing to weave out the off topic remarks!?
12-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

There is lots of evidence that Pentax are putting their marketing structure here in Canada back in place… hopefully we'll see some results from that soon. As for DPR, I have gone there, but I don't go there on a regular basis…. it's one of those sites that just doesn't grab my attention, if they want to know why, they're going to have to pay me to figure it out.
12-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Just a thought... if they do visit the forums as often as you leave to believe, should we have a dedicated place where we can put "requests" for upgrades (firmware or hardware) and wish lists for future equipment!?
I was thinking a dedicated place will be much easier to go trough for them then be all over the place. I guess heavy moderation will be a good thing to weave out the off topic remarks!?
Even since we started doing regular interviews with Pentax they've been getting a compilation containing such requests. Of course they can't/won't act on most of it, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I actually think this is a good idea.

It puts Ricoh on the spot, so to speak, especially on a forum like this, which can have lots of sway over how things go with their imaging division.

With heavy-handed moderation, including over ridiculous requests, perhaps it could be workable.