Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zhon Quote
Teal, dttore, May I know whether the ebay seller is onlinefred62 ? Thanks
That was mine. He replaced it very quickly.

01-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
That was mine. He replaced it very quickly.
Yes it was onlinefred
01-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes it was onlinefred62
02-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #34

Last month i went to Uyuni-Bolivia, to see the Dakar Rally, i didn't have any accesories except my camera bag.
When i was walking around with the camera over my neck with the defaul neckstrap, the down side of the screen was constantly hitting my belly. Uyuni is a dry place, eventhough it rained the day after, so it was very hot and i was transpirating.
I was concerned about the sand and dust from my t shirt from scratching the screen, but when i could clean the screen there wasn't a single one. (the camera also resisted some dusty winds with soft rain)
Back to my city i noticed that the screen had some kind of texture over the down side that was in contact with my stomach back in Uyuni.
I tried to clean it with a flat screen cleaner from Philips, and i could get all the grease from my nose and cheeks off the screen, but not that texture.
I assume that my transpiration did some kind of reaction to the coating of the screen, when i tried to remove it with a scalpel i couldn't take off anything but a tiny bit of it. Of course the sharp object didn't scratch the display
Although it's a medium spot, i doesn't interfere with the clarity of the screen and it can only be seen then reflecting light over it.

That's why i decided to buy an ACMAXX screen protector, now the display feels safer, even the small LCD has a protector.

IF you don't have resources or possibility for a custom screen protector, i recommend to use transparent vinyl film, the same one used in automotive decals, i was using a strip of it over the small LCD, it's cheap and durable. Back when i had a zune player (big screen) it fell from my pocket to the paving and it didn't had a single scratch when i removed the film.

02-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #35

My ACMAXX is still looking good. But I need to reserve judgment until the next trip to see how durable it will be.
02-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #36

Have only had my K3 and ACMAXX for 3 weeks now but have put it through a lot. Including a week in often -30 F weather where there has been solid ice on the back of the camera breathing on it.

It has held up great and am very pleased so far.
02-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #37
CDW
Site Supporter

Under most circumstances, does the K3 really need an LCD protector? I seem to recall reading somewhere the LCD display glass is similar to Corning Gorilla Glass, as used on the iPhone.

02-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #38

Good question CDW. That was the first thing I asked my local dealer. He said no. I love my Gorilla Glass on my iPhone 5. I protect it with a case but nothing on the screen. Two years now with no scratches. Put in pocket all the time like most guys! Along with keys! How can we find out officially what the Pentax LCD is made of?
02-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sand can still scratch gorilla glass, it's far worse than knives, nails that they typically demo scratch resistance with.
03-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
received mine from onlinefred today... Wrong size, same as mentioned earlier in thread. Now the fun begins on a return
03-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #41

Your what Calc? Which one? My ACMAXX is still holding up after three extensive photo shoots.
03-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #42
Veteran Member

My ACMAXX lcd protector.
03-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #43
Veteran Member

An update for my ACMAXX purchase.

Originally received the wrong sized main LCD protector. Emailed eBay seller and had him quickly ship a replacement. Replacement came and it stated on the package that it was the updated and correct size. So clearly there is a problem with sizing that is well known about. That's fine, a lot of things have issues and Seller made everything okay.

However, I am still not impressed with the sizing of both the main LCD and top LCD covers. Both are short on one side by about 2 mm and partially, ever so slightly, block the LCD view, unless positioned off centre. Now it just looks goofy. Slightly worried they will peel or be picked off inadvertently in the future.

Will I return it? No. Would I buy another? No. Would I buy another ACMAXX product? No, for this experience and glass is getting tougher every year.

I am basing a lot of this on how perfect my ACMAXX is on my K-r. Top notch quality and bang on sizing.

In summation, just wanted to fill in my two bits of information for the written record. Of course, YMMV and this is my opinion. At least I won't worry about a jacket zipper anymore.
03-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I seem to recall reading somewhere the LCD display glass is similar to Corning Gorilla Glass, as used on the iPhone.
I do recall reading somewhere that the K-3 rear-LCD is more durable than the K-5 series rear-LCD.

But the Pentax JP website merely says of the rear-LCD:
"..the protective panel is made of tempered glass to keep it free of scratches and abrasions".

Perhaps that's the difference - I don't think the rear-LCD of the K-5 series is glass, but polycarbonate.

EDIT - tempered glass for the rear LCD was also added to the K-5II/IIs. So the K-5 'Classic' is the only model of the K-5 series with a polycarbonate rear-LCD.

Last edited by rawr; 03-16-2014 at 07:07 PM.
03-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #45

My ACMAXX was a perfect fit even fitting right in the slot around the edge of the LCD. Has been through 3 major shoots with no problem.