Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Hardly the same thing. Suppose you wanted a particular car without the optional floor mats and the only one available had them? Something that could be eliminated with no alteration whatsoever? Would you turn it down if the dealer offered to remove them?
I don't see how its that different. The box was put together for a bundle, but was sold as something else with part of the bundle missing. Hm, would you buy a box of 6 chocolates, if it was obviously made to hold 10 chocolates? Even if they offered you a discount? But what if they didn't even tell you about it, you just got a box with 4 empty spaces.

In that situation, I would expect, demand, the seller to be upfront and tell me "hey, is it okay if we send you this box? let me explain the situation." And if I trusted them and thought their explanation was legitimate, I would go for it. But I would know the full story and have the chance to reject and look for an offer elsewhere.

But again, if the actual camera seems in working order without any fingerprints on it, without having a couple dozen photographs taken on it, then it might be fine to keep without worries. As long as the warranty and everything is in order.

12-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
Unregistered User

No peely films on the screens in Sweden either...
12-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, would you buy a box of 6 chocolates, if it was obviously made to hold 10 chocolates? Even if they offered you a discount? .
Absolutely! Why would I pay for chocolates I don't want? If I get a box, for a discount, with only the most delicious chocolates, then I call that a "WIN".

My K-30 cam in a similar way. The box was labeled to contain the body and DA L 18-55mm lens... At first I thought, "Holy moly! Bonus!" But I wasn't disappointed when the box contained only what I ordered. It was brand new, never used, 0 shutter count.

It never even crossed my mind to complain...
12-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
??

So send it back. Buy one for more money somewhere else with the right box, or do without if it's that big of an issue.
Would like what I ordered for the price I paid.

12-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Is "gray" the color or the import status?

Then you got what you ordered and "all" you expected.

Then why this?
I didn't get the proper box. So I didn't get ALL I expected.
12-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #21

It is a tactic to maximize profit. A camera body plus kit lens is usually sold at a cheaper price and the cost is also lower to the seller. By selling the bundle to 2 different customers they are able to profit as if each is sold as a separate item or maintain a decent level of profit after factoring in the discount.

I experienced the same when I bought my K30 but had been informed upfront that the box is from a bundle package.
12-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Absolutely! Why would I pay for chocolates I don't want? If I get a box, for a discount, with only the most delicious chocolates, then I call that a "WIN".

My K-30 cam in a similar way. The box was labeled to contain the body and DA L 18-55mm lens... At first I thought, "Holy moly! Bonus!" But I wasn't disappointed when the box contained only what I ordered. It was brand new, never used, 0 shutter count.

It never even crossed my mind to complain...

I am concerned, not complaining... primarily because I'd read warning about this happening from other sellers (not via Amazon) passing off junk and removing the OEM stuff. That did not happen, but is a step away from it. I read it here BTW.

12-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Would like what I ordered for the price I paid.
I can understand that, so as I suggested, send it back.
12-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So my K-3 body arrived... I just opened the shipping box to pull out (SURPRISE) the K3 Body + Lens Kit box with the kit lens removed.

They obviously split up the kit to match the Amazon price, taking out the lens to sell separately.

1. Is this technically legal?

2. Is there anything I can or even should do about it?

It appears to have everything else... the manual, battery, power cord, body... just an empty space where the lens would be as well as the lens hood I suppose. The right side of the box is empty.

The body did not have any peely protectors on either the main or top display. But I'm not sure if it was supposed to. Hope someone can advise on that part.

It does says RICOH and PENTAX (as opposed to RICOHHH or PENTAXXX nonsense).

Takes a little air out of the sails/sales if you know what I mean.

Should I complain to Amazon? This was sold via their site through a reseller.
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions without unnecessary attack. Much appreciated

Checked with Pentax. They thought it questionable but nothing technically wrong. So it's good to go. They did ask for the vendor name which I provided.

The peelies aren't supposed to be there, so that's great.

They should obviously say they are selling something different than advertised. I did select the Pentax part number so they failed there. Also had this been a gift the 1/2 empty box would have made things awkward.

Regardless concerns alleviated. I can now use it.
12-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

FYI: My Pentax Q came in a box which is used for the dual-lens kit. I only ordered the body and 01 Prime, which is what I got of course. I don't think they are going to go to the expense of creating packaging for the various kit forms - think about that..
12-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
FYI: My Pentax Q came in a box which is used for the dual-lens kit. I only ordered the body and 01 Prime, which is what I got of course. I don't think they are going to go to the expense of creating packaging for the various kit forms - think about that..

They do have different package for the body only.
12-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Surely you feel like it's worth the money you saved to get a different box, though. It's still a Ricoh K-3 box. I'm really anal about keeping boxes (and keeping them in good shape) for my gear, but this seriously wouldn't bother me.
12-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Surely you feel like it's worth the money you saved to get a different box, though. It's still a Ricoh K-3 box. I'm really anal about keeping boxes (and keeping them in good shape) for my gear, but this seriously wouldn't bother me.
Since it was not a gift and this is the first time it's ever happened to me I just wanted to make sure it wasn't illegal.

This is a valid and true analogy. If I buy a box of snack cakes, then I can do anything I want with them. Except sell them individually at retail. When you see items marked "Not labelled for individual sale" that's what it means. You cannot split them up. But I've been to many inner city bodega type places that do just that. To save a buck or make more money. That's what this felt like. A retailer cheating the system. Yes I got a deal but it does feel tainted.

But it will wear off.
12-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions without unnecessary attack. Much appreciated
Unnecessary attack. You mean like calling someone's logic twisted just because you didn't like the answer he gave to your qustion? That kind of unnecessary attack?
12-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unnecessary attack. You mean like calling someone's logic twisted just because you didn't like the answer he gave to your qustion? That kind of unnecessary attack?
That was twisted logic -- to thank someone for doing you wrong. No attack.
Closed Thread