Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is the most hilarious thread I've read in ages. Excuse me while I go to a restaurant, order dinner, and proceed to complain that they open the food's packaging, cooked it, and brought it out to me before I got it.

12-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
This is the most hilarious thread I've read in ages. Excuse me while I go to a restaurant, order dinner, and proceed to complain that they open the food's packaging, cooked it, and brought it out to me before I got it.
And we have a winner for the most irrelevant and inaccurate post in this thread. Congratulations.
12-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
And we have a winner for the most irrelevant and inaccurate post in this thread. Congratulations.
That's disappointing. I was going for "biggest troll."
12-06-2013, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Throw the box and start shootin..

12-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

klkitchens I think you are over-reacting in this whole thing.
It is very normal for this to happen - Adorama does the same thing, Henrys, Black's (in Canada) and a few other reputable companies.

Put it this way... I am a customer ordering a camera and the store only has so many amounts of body only boxes and body + lens boxes. iIf they are sold out on the body only boxes and you order one, what are they going to do!? Refuse the business? No!
They will take the lens out of the other boxes and send you what you wanted! And then they will sell the lenses separately. I find this perfectly normal, not sure why you are so confused?
A lot of big businesses are doing this... relax and enjoy your camera now.
12-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
It is very normal for this to happen - Adorama does the same thing, Henrys, Black's (in Canada) and a few other reputable companies.

Put it this way... I am a customer ordering a camera and the store only has so many amounts of body only boxes and body + lens boxes. iIf they are sold out on the body only boxes and you order one, what are they going to do!? Refuse the business? No!
They will take the lens out of the other boxes and send you what you wanted! And then they will sell the lenses separately. I find this perfectly normal, not sure why you are so confused?
I wasn't confused

It's a dishonest business practice if they don't tell you up front.

As I posted I checked it out and all is good.
12-06-2013, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #37
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote

Just because 'a lot' of businesses supposedly behave in this manner doesn't make it acceptable.

I'd be a slightly bummed.. I mean what if you want to resell? You don't have the proper box.. I suspect you may even get a lower price quote simply for not having the proper box. Some might care others might not..

However, it is tacky on Adorama's part to do this without stating such... Yeah its great they price matched, but they could have done so by giving you 1:1 what the competitor was providing - that is a K-3 body in an unopened K-3 body-only box.

As it is, they sold you an OPEN BOX item as NEW.

12-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
just because 'a lot' of businesses supposedly behave in this manner doesn't make it acceptable.

I'd be a slightly bummed.. I mean what if you want to resell? You don't have the proper box.. I suspect you may even get a lower price quote simply for not having the proper box. Some might care others might not..

However, it is tacky on adorama's part to do this without stating such... Yeah its great they price matched, but they could have done so by giving you 1:1 what the competitor was providing - that is a k-3 body in an unopened k-3 body-only box.

As it is, they sold you an open box item as new.
+1000
12-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Just because 'a lot' of businesses supposedly behave in this manner doesn't make it acceptable.

However, it is tacky on Adorama's part to do this without stating such... Yeah its great they price matched, but they could have done so by giving you 1:1 what the competitor was providing - that is a K-3 body in an unopened K-3 body-only box.

As it is, they sold you an OPEN BOX item as NEW.
That's absolutely not what they did. It is not considered an open box just because they broke up a kit. As previously stated, kit break-ups are standard business these days. It's on you if you don't know that's possible when you get a extra low price on an item. And Adorama wasn't the seller, btw. There was no malfeasance or misrepresentation unless they specifically stated that you would receive a body-only box. And why would they even bother? Who cares? It would absolutely not affect resale value as it still has a Ricoh K-3 box. If I bought it used it wouldn't bother me a bit and I'm an anal, uptight buyer. This is really a complete non-issue and the OP understands that now.
12-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so what all reputable shops are going to do with all left overs from those separated kits?
the lens will not have any packaging so could not be sold as brand new?
my friend purchased DAL 55-300 very cheap from Malaysia ( on eBay) and there was a note within the listing : "item from separated kits , no packaging" ,
but I never seen items listed like that at any reputable online shops....
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
That's absolutely not what they did. It is not considered an open box just because they broke up a kit. As previously stated, kit break-ups are standard business these days. It's on you if you don't know that's possible when you get a extra low price on an item. And Adorama wasn't the seller, btw. There was no malfeasance or misrepresentation unless they specifically stated that you would receive a body-only box. And why would they even bother? Who cares? It would absolutely not affect resale value as it still has a Ricoh K-3 box. If I bought it used it wouldn't bother me a bit and I'm an anal, uptight buyer. This is really a complete non-issue and the OP understands that now.
That's not QUITE what I said.

It's not a non-issue. It's a issue I can live with because the camera turned out to be legit and non-used.

It's actually a very big issue and one that Amazon and the seller are going to hear about. I am frankly shocked Adorama (as someone else indicated) would take part in such a deceptive practice without informing the consumer. Adorama, B&H and others are supposed to be leaders in their field, not shady operators.

Ever buy a harddrive? I have. Many times. You can buy a drive in retail packaging OR you can buy a barebones drive that comes in only a static-free bag. The barebones drive is less expensive obviously. If I choose to buy a retail packaged drive and they ship me a barebones drive -- even though it's the same piece of equipment, it's fraud. Even if the price is lower. The "common practice" is to let the customer decide what they want to buy and then the retailer honors that purchase.

If this seller could not honor the price for the SKU ordered, they don't get to assemble the same items that would be in that box and ship it out as if it was what was ordered. Not without being up front.

Saturday, shortly after I ordered mine, someone here posted an $999 K-3 deal on ebay. I was a little upset that it was $200 less, but I read the thread and saw the cautionary advice that it might be a broken up kit along with some replacement parts, etc... I read the fine print in the ebay listing and sure enough, they at least stated up front that it might not arrive in the correct box. So I was relieved that my deal was a good one.

Regardless of all this and everyone's childish dismissal of these valid concerns, I went to Amazon and ordered this item:

Amazon.com: Pentax K-3 Pentax SLR 24MP SLR Camera with 3.2-Inch TFT LCD- Body Only: Camera & Photo -- This is for the BODY ONLY in the box. Brand Name: Pentax Model: K-3 body kit

Amazon was out on Saturday, so I went to one of their suggested other sellers who was claiming to sell this exact same item: Brand Name: Pentax Model: K-3 body kit for the same price.

That seller misrepresented what they were selling. They were selling this item: Brand Name: Pentax Model: Pentax K-3 lens kit w/ 18-135mm WR with missing pieces for the same price.

Period. End of discussion.
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #42
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
How is it on me? In that case, these retailers should scrap single body sales and just buy the kits in bulk and separate. If this is to maximize profits let's not even ship a box.. tell Pentax to bulk ship them in a single giant container.

Hey what a revolution, DogLover! Let's do that with everyyyything. Think of all the money the grocery store can save by buying frozen pizza and breadstick combo boxes and then selling them individually to consumers like you who don't care! Now we can buy single frozen burritos and get the holds-8 carrying bag!!

What about dish soap.. I only need 10 oz of an 18 oz container so maybe they can split that too. I only ordered a 10oz bottle so I got my 10oz after they squeezed out 8 oz from the container. Underwear.. they can dig around the bag and remove 2 pairs from a 3-pack why nottttt. wowwwwwww!!
12-06-2013, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
That's not QUITE what I said.

It's not a non-issue. It's a issue I can live with because the camera turned out to be legit and non-used.

It's actually a very big issue and one that Amazon and the seller are going to hear about. I am frankly shocked Adorama (as someone else indicated) would take part in such a deceptive practice without informing the consumer. Adorama, B&H and others are supposed to be leaders in their field, not shady operators.

Ever buy a harddrive? I have. Many times. You can buy a drive in retail packaging OR you can buy a barebones drive that comes in only a static-free bag. The barebones drive is less expensive obviously. If I choose to buy a retail packaged drive and they ship me a barebones drive -- even though it's the same piece of equipment, it's fraud. Even if the price is lower. The "common practice" is to let the customer decide what they want to buy and then the retailer honors that purchase.

If this seller could not honor the price for the SKU ordered, they don't get to assemble the same items that would be in that box and ship it out as if it was what was ordered. Not without being up front.

Saturday, shortly after I ordered mine, someone here posted an $999 K-3 deal on ebay. I was a little upset that it was $200 less, but I read the thread and saw the cautionary advice that it might be a broken up kit along with some replacement parts, etc... I read the fine print in the ebay listing and sure enough, they at least stated up front that it might not arrive in the correct box. So I was relieved that my deal was a good one.

Regardless of all this and everyone's childish dismissal of these valid concerns, I went to Amazon and ordered this item:

Amazon.com: Pentax K-3 Pentax SLR 24MP SLR Camera with 3.2-Inch TFT LCD- Body Only: Camera & Photo -- This is for the BODY ONLY in the box. Brand Name: Pentax Model: K-3 body kit

Amazon was out on Saturday, so I went to one of their suggested other sellers who was claiming to sell this exact same item: Brand Name: Pentax Model: K-3 body kit for the same price.

That seller misrepresented what they were selling. They were selling this item: Brand Name: Pentax Model: Pentax K-3 lens kit w/ 18-135mm WR with missing pieces for the same price.

Dude, seriously, I have never seen anyone get so worked up over a freakin' box! They didn't misrepresent what they sold you. You got EXACTLY what they sold you, and for an extra-low price. The person who buys the lens out of that kit may have a beef, depending on how it is represented, but you don't. As pointed out earlier, return it and pay the regular going rate if you want the specific box. There are no free rides. Extra-low prices often come with little surprises. You should be thrilled that you got what you ordered.

I've been trying to cut you some slack, but because there are a few others here that have agreed with you, you've become indignant about your deal and are convinced you've been wronged. You haven't.

12-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

How is it on me? In that case, these retailers should scrap single body sales and just buy the kits in bulk and separate. If this is to maximize profits let's not even ship a box.. tell Pentax to bulk ship them in a single giant container.

Hey what a revolution, DogLover! Let's do that with everyyyything. Think of all the money the grocery store can save by buying frozen pizza and breadstick combo boxes and then selling them individually to consumers like you who don't care! Now we can buy single frozen burritos and get the holds-8 carrying bag!!

What about dish soap.. I only need 10 oz of an 18 oz container so maybe they can split that too. I only ordered a 10oz bottle so I got my 10oz after they squeezed out 8 oz from the container. Underwear.. they can dig around the bag and remove 2 pairs from a 3-pack why nottttt. wowwwwwww!!
Food items obviously are held to a different standard. But with anything else, as long as it's not being mis-represented, then where's the issue?
12-06-2013, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

I just watched Hunt vs. Silva in the UFC fights from Brisbane, but maybe I should have been here, instead. This is incredible.
Closed Thread