Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I'm processing DNG from the K-3 in Lightroom just fine.
Do you need to fix white balance? Other raw converters seem fine with K3 dngs (if they recognize them) but Lightroom makes the white balance very green by default. A click on auto white balance is usually enough to fix it but it is annoying.

12-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #17

I saw this post on DPR with the image sharpness. I also watched Ed's youtube videos (quite enjoy them keep it up good stuff)
I think in recent years Pentax have ramped up the NR somewhat on jpegs, I almost always set NR to off and have done regardless of camera model.

Even if I use another maker's body NR off is almost always preferable to the auto or default NR.
I think the difference is more recent bodies are more aggressive with NR on jpegs.

Personally I shoot raw most of the time, but it's handy to use jpegs at times. Though some have noted Pentax are doing some fiddling with raw NR too (it seems to be mostly chroma noise)
12-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Do you need to fix white balance? Other raw converters seem fine with K3 dngs (if they recognize them) but Lightroom makes the white balance very green by default. A click on auto white balance is usually enough to fix it but it is annoying.

I set my white balance to either Auto or custom in the camera and then apply it to all the images at once. But they tended more toward purple in the shoot I'm working now -- but there was a lot of red on stage (Christmas show)
12-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I would like to hear your take on the anti moiré function in regard to sharpness. I have, with my Tamron 90 and my Tamron 70-200, tried to see the difference between shots taken in "laboratory" fashion at home with the anti moiré set to Off, 1 and 2 but there is no visible difference so I guess I am doing the testing the wrong way or? I can hear the special noise the camera makes when applying the function. I have used slow shutter speeds i.e arround 1/125 at f3.2 /3.5 shooting greenish fabric.
Heavily depends on the fabric. Try something like a satin. I saw moire in that even w/ the K20D. The pattern density and your distance to it determines moire.

Or try photographing bird feathers...the feathers have varying pattern density. I saw this in a K-3 review (it's linked in the K-3 reviews thread in this forum) and it was surprisingly effective at showing moire...

12-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
Unregistered User

Well, the thing is that I was expecting a degredation of sharpness but there was no difference... That is why I ask.
12-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, the thing is that I was expecting a degredation of sharpness but there was no difference... That is why I ask.
There should be some...are you doing 100% crops?
If you're viewing a downsized image, you won't see as much..
12-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Unregistered User

I am looking at 100% in Adobe Camera RAW at my DNGs so all settings are equal. I don´t see any difference so either it is not doing its job or my test is flawed...

12-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am looking at 100% in Adobe Camera RAW at my DNGs so all settings are equal. I don´t see any difference so either it is not doing its job or my test is flawed...
Images taken on a sturdy tripod and SR disabled? Not sure if it'll look the same w/ SR on or off? Or if you're handholding, are you taking shots in bright light w/ a high shutter speed?
12-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

As many already said LR 4.4 seems to handle the K-3 DNGs just fine without the K-3 profile.

What is not clear to me is what differences/improvements should I expect once they make the K-3 specific profile?

In a previous discussion it was pointed out that it would load and display images quicker and generally work more efficiently. However in terms of the image quality what differences should we expect?
01-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #25
Forum Member

Hi, I am also having this blurry problem in my K-3. But I think I just found out a quick solution on this problem. Let me write down my solution:

1. Under HIgh-ISO NR option, choose CUSTOM.
2. Then under Setting:

ISO100 OFF
ISO200 OFF
ISO400 OFF
ISO800 OFF
ISO1600 LOW
ISO3200 LOW
ISO6400 LOW
ISO12800 MEDIUM
ISO25600 MEDIUM
ISO51200 MEDIUM

With this setup, I manage to get sharp image even up to ISO6400. Have a try..... No harm!

Regards,

Tommy