Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

K-3 and lens questions: downsizing Pentax kit

I've decided to go dual system - mirrorless (Fuji X-E2) and Pentax DSLR. Currently, I have a K-5 and a K-30. My plan is to sell or trade those, and maybe some lenses, towards a K-3.

One lens I'm not sure about keeping is my 50-135, since I expect to use the K-3 more often for action, and the 50-135's AF is slow. Let's face it, when we take size, weight, zoom range, max aperture, and optical quality into account, it has no competition. For those reasons, it will be very hard to sell it, but I am curious about its AF on the K-3. Will it be any faster?

Thanks,

Jeff

12-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your 50-135 using SDM, or has it been switched to use the screw drive?
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Is your 50-135 using SDM, or has it been switched to use the screw drive?
It's SDM.
12-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No clue then. I'm sure someone will know. But if you switched it to use the screw drive, presumably the improved screw drive motor in the K3 would improve that.

12-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I normally shoot sports so I mainly use my Sigma combo of 70-200 & 50-500 and I have thought a few times of selling my 50-135 but I have to remember why I won't. Out in the field the Sigmas blow it away with focus speed but there are a few times I do family portraits and model shoots and the Pentax literally beats the pants off the Sigmas. For portrait work there is no better lens than a 50-135 IMO anyway, the color rendition, bokeh, sharpness ect.. the 50-135 is the king

Mine is still SDM, no real focus speed difference but it does lock focus with a lot more confidence.
12-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
No clue then. I'm sure someone will know. But if you switched it to use the screw drive, presumably the improved screw drive motor in the K3 would improve that.
There's no equivalent fast, mid-range zoom for the Fuji system yet, so it probably makes sense to keep the 50-135 for situations that call for that kind of lens. Later, especially if the SDM fails, I can switch to screw drive. I'm curious about how much louder the screw drive will be.
12-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
There's no equivalent fast, mid-range zoom for the Fuji system yet, so it probably makes sense to keep the 50-135 for situations that call for that kind of lens. Later, especially if the SDM fails, I can switch to screw drive. I'm curious about how much louder the screw drive will be.
Well, my used 16-50 just arrived in the mail about 20 minutes ago, and it's on SDM still; my 50-135 is on screw drive. I just tried it for the first time, and it's a significant difference in a quiet room, for sure. I almost never notice the sound of the 50-135 when I'm actually out taking pictures of things, though.

Not that this is probably helpful, but the difference is comparable to the very soft whir of my laptop fan in normal light use, and the louder whir of the laptop fan when I'm playing a game or rendering video or something.

12-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
I normally shoot sports so I mainly use my Sigma combo of 70-200 & 50-500 and I have thought a few times of selling my 50-135 but I have to remember why I won't. Out in the field the Sigmas blow it away with focus speed but there are a few times I do family portraits and model shoots and the Pentax literally beats the pants off the Sigmas. For portrait work there is no better lens than a 50-135 IMO anyway, the color rendition, bokeh, sharpness ect.. the 50-135 is the king

Mine is still SDM, no real focus speed difference but it does lock focus with a lot more confidence.
Very similar experience for me. I bought a Sigma 50-150 with the intention of it replacing my 50-135. It does AF much faster, but in the end, if I'm not as happy with images I end up with, what's the point? Sharpness was there, but the rendering is just not even in the ballpark with the Pentax. I ended up selling the Sigma.
12-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well, my used 16-50 just arrived in the mail about 20 minutes ago, and it's on SDM still; my 50-135 is on screw drive. I just tried it for the first time, and it's a significant difference in a quiet room, for sure. I almost never notice the sound of the 50-135 when I'm actually out taking pictures of things, though.

Not that this is probably helpful, but the difference is comparable to the very soft whir of my laptop fan in normal light use, and the louder whir of the laptop fan when I'm playing a game or rendering video or something.
Thanks. That doesn't sound too bad. If I do convert the 50-135 to screw drive, it will mostly be for outdoor use. I think I'll just take this one step at at time, since I don't even have the K-3 yet. The options to either sell the lens or convert it will still be available for some time, so I'll use it as it is until I make a decision.