Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #61

Original Poster
DimC, how would you compare HUE profiles to Adobe's (standard and embedded) in representing the out of the camera jpegs from K-3?

12-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
DimC, how would you compare HUE profiles to Adobe's (standard and embedded) in representing the out of the camera jpegs from K-3?
Well I dont use jpeg, never have so I am not the good person to give an opinion but maybe I did not understand what you are saying.

What I can tell is that in the case I've seen (landscapes mainly) so far I find that the HUE Standard color profile is better at reproducing what I saw when doin the shoot.
12-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
After processing shots with Lr 5.3 and the updated HUE profiles, I think they are better than Adobe Standard for the K-3.
The difference between Adobe standard and the HUE Standard profile is important, I prefer the last one, seems better at reproducing reality.

As a side note I've only processed landscapes so far, I need to check my ColorProfile with human portrait and Live Gigs to confirm my first impression.
Thanks for your insights here, I might just spend the whopping $10 on the HUE. Having choices is important.

M
07-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #64

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across a pretty alarming blog post comparing Adobe's DNG treatment to CaptureOne's customized camera profiles. The K-3 II is not yet supported by CaptureOne. Looks like I need to make a switch to PEF. Suddenly feeling boxed in by Pentax's lack of CR2 support.

07-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #65
Veteran Member

That petapixel post was written by a 10 year old, or so it seems. I wouldn't call it alarming, just inane. As a C1 and Lightroom user for longer than the petapixel writer has been, DNG works fine, Lightroom works fine, C1 works fine, colour profiles are adjustable all round.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr. Zee Quote
Suddenly feeling boxed in by Pentax's lack of CR2 support.
Why should Pentax support a Canon RAW format like CR2?
07-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That petapixel post was written by a 10 year old, or so it seems. I wouldn't call it alarming, just inane. As a C1 and Lightroom user for longer than the petapixel writer has been, DNG works fine, Lightroom works fine, C1 works fine, colour profiles are adjustable all round.

Why should Pentax support a Canon RAW format like CR2?
While I agree that Pentax support for CR2 seems a little silly, it's easy enough to do some experimenting on your own with C1. There's a free trial, just switch your camera over to PEF (K-3 and earlier, right now) and go to town. Too bad you can't set the K-3 to record PEF on one card and DNG on the other, so you'll need to do a lot of switching, but still, pretty easy to do.
07-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #67
Veteran Member

This must be a stupid question, but what does the colour profile actually do?

The camera should be colour corrected already, out of the box.

If you shoot jpeg then the light source colour temperature comes into it, as usual.

I have Lightroom 4.6 - the latest version available for windows XP (I am using winXP for specific reasons - some software I have which won't run on win7+).