Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a crappy piece of software.

I'm a retired software engineer, if I were still working and had worked on the software that comes with the K-3 I'd be just plain embarrassed. Did they do any testing other than the most rudimentary?
I accidentally switched to .PEF files which none of the software known to man (including the software that comes with the k-30, which was a pretty weak product itself) recognizes. The mere existence of the ability to switch to PEF files is a different thorn in my side, why bother creating them when you already could produce perfectly good DNG files. At any rate, I tried to installed the software on my Windows 7 64 bit systems, so I could change these files to DNG files and work on them in LR. On my laptop it installed and would start, then I found it to have an absolutely terrible GUI, what don't more software companies hire GUI design and testing guys, got me. On my desktop which has even faster CPUs and more memory it wouldn't even start.
Sorry just had to rant! Want to hear my opinion of the manual compared to the K-30 manual. I just hope that as I move forward I'm not as disappointed with the K-3 as I am with it's supporting items.

12-11-2013, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps Ricoh should come out with a decent RAW editor and charge for it, like Nikon does...

Capture NX 2 - Full Version (Boxed) from Nikon
12-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
...if I were still working and had worked on the software that comes with the K-3 I'd be just plain embarrassed.
The software has always been like that, though some people like it. I have the version from the K-5 which I only use for creating the exif database, and file handling (it recognizes the xmp file created during conversions, so I can "see" what I'm moving around).

I can not get the window sizing to stick (I just figured out how to for one - yay!) , it hangs up if too many files are in the directory (a bug the minor update was supposed to fix and did not), and it is far too slow opening raw files to chimp with.

Many programs recognize PEF files, including Faststone and Elements. I like the fact that the original file can not be overwritten as no software saves in that format. I have Faststone on my netbook for viewing while traveling and use it at home to (quickly) chimp and rename files, and Elements is way more user-friendly than PDCU for processing raw files.
12-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Windows 7 64 bit and didn't have a problem installing the software which came with the K5. Having said that, I generally use Paintshop pro, and I discovered immediately that PSP wouldn't read the RAW files from the K5 even though it reads the RAW files from the K7 and K200D. I switched the camera to DNG. Unfortunately it's usually the case that free software is worth as much as you paid for it. There are exceptions - Irfanview reads PEF and many other formats and is free. I use it to preview images and decide which to keep or discard before I think about editing the keepers.

The other issue with PSP is that it drops a lot of the EXIF data from Pentax cameras eg the lens description. I recently bought Photoshop Elements but the lack of a context menu entry for it has meant that I haven't used it much yet.

12-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Blame silkypix for the software - it's just silkypix badge engineered for Pentax / Ricoh. Having said that, I like it well enough, because by default, it produces very natural looking results and makes a big difference to the appearance of noise in my K-7's images. Also, I like the way it handles batch processing - you can set up a whole load of processes on hold and then hit "run" and go and watch TV.

I like PEF - it's been around longer than DNG and means I don't have to integrate with Adobe's $oftware. ;-)
I began using PEFs on the K10d because they were smaller files than the DNG that existed back then.
12-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I used the dreadful Pentax editing software a couple of times after purchasing my K10D several years ago. I never reinstalled it when I replaced my hard drive a year later. The version that came with my K5 is unopened in the box. I use Lightroom and am very happy with the results I get. It is a Silkypix issue. I have an equally dreadful version that came with a Panasonic Lumix LF-1. I mostly shoot JPEGs with that camera anyhow so it's not a problem. Lightroom 5 will cover the Lumix when I decide to upgrade. I'm sure the K3 will be covered in Adobe's next update.
12-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

On my desktop which has even faster CPUs and more memory it wouldn't even start.
FWIW, it starts and installs fine on my Windows 7 64bit desktop. Make sure you are installing as an Admin user.

PDCU 5 is a decent enough tool for a 'freebie'. It even has some unique and handy features - like support for all the built-in Pentax custom image tone settings, and a multi-point white balance dropper tool - both of which can be very useful sometimes. Even it's noise reduction options are decent and useful.

The interface can be confusing, and some of the simple options (eg sharpening) are buried deep in obscure places, so usability for those unfamiliar with the software does indeed leave a lot to be desired.

12-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I like PEF - it's been around longer than DNG and means I don't have to integrate with Adobe's $oftware. ;-)
I began using PEFs on the K10d because they were smaller files than the DNG that existed back then.
DNG has been around for more than 9 years. Lots of non-Adobe products support DNG.

As far as I know, a DNG contains a super-set of a PEF from the same camera. (I'm not aware of any information in a PEF that isn't in a DNG). "PEF" is really a loose term, that doesn't determine what additions and any other changes have been made for a new camera. That is why PEF-users are reliant on either software supplied by Ricoh/Pentax or on specifically-updated software from other suppliers.

Ricoh/Pentax cameras now use lossless compression of DNG files, so the sizes are similar to PEFs.
12-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Actually all the free RAW converters from the OEM are like that

Even a paid one like Corel After Shot can be a joke (refusing to open the DNG file )
LR has proven to be the most stable so far from my use.
12-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You are probably doing something wrong.
I find the new 5 version to be more than acceptable in many respects over adobe.
In terms of IQ I dare anyone to say that ACR/Lightroom make a better quick rendition. I use ACR for weddings where you are editing a lot of pictures. Otherwise its the pentax software for me.
Here is a picture of my desktop. I have configured the software how I like it, everything is very quick to access.
Attached Images

12-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #11

In PDCU there is a hexagon that shows a difference in producing different colours when one selects another colour profile. I like the Bright profile and I would like to recreate it in LR or Photoshop. Does Adobe's software have such a hexagon in its instruments with a possibility to drag each colour point?
12-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
In PDCU there is a hexagon that shows a difference in producing different colours when one selects another colour profile. I like the Bright profile and I would like to recreate it in LR or Photoshop. Does Adobe's software have such a hexagon in its instruments with a possibility to drag each colour point?
I'm not an Adobe user so I can't answer that. I use SilkyPix Developer Pro 4. The "hexagon" is called the Fine Colour Controller. It's good for stuff like adjusting the colour of grass in a back-lit shot where it tends to be too yellowish for my taste in K20 & K5 shots. Pentax DCU has been hobbled as it only uses 1 CPU core and doesn't use the GPU for computations. But, like SP Pro 4, DCU 4 (and I presume, also DCU 5) has a Dodge control which I find very useful in SP.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 12-12-2013 at 03:32 AM.
12-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Adobe Camera Raw version 8.3 has finally included the Pentax K3 which wasn't on the pre-release list a few weeks ago.

Adobe releases final versions of Camera Raw 8.3 and Lightroom 5.3: Digital Photography Review

Camera raw, DNG | Adobe Photoshop CC

I don't know if the multiple colour balance (MAWB) from Ricoh is fully supported, but at least K3 files, both DNG and PEF, should open with a modicum of correct conversion, may be now we can see what the K3 can really do.

Chris
12-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I accidentally switched to .PEF files which none of the software known to man (including the software that comes with the k-30, which was a pretty weak product itself) recognizes. The mere existence of the ability to switch to PEF files is a different thorn in my side, why bother creating them when you already could produce perfectly good DNG files. At any rate, I tried to installed the software on my Windows 7 64 bit systems, so I could change these files to DNG files and work on them in LR.
Note that Adobe just released LR version 5.3 which includes support for the K-3. So forget about the Pentax/Ricoh software and happily open your PEFs in LR... No need for DNGs anymore.

Wim
12-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

OP, you're probably not looking for this, but I love PDCU. The white balance tool is simply amazing.