Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My first K-3 problem.

When using the camera today on one shot the shutter went off on a long burst on it's own and was still shooting after I switched the camera off. It stopped not too long after being switch off so I switched the camera back on and continued taking shots without another mishap. Has this happened to anyone else? I have a feeling it may have been a one off glitch. Oh, and GTW, I wasn't using a grip.

12-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happened to me once after the camera had been left out in -20degC cold for 5 hours and the external battery connector broke. Pretty sure it is power related as in if the voltage drops below a certain point, you get the mirror (not shutter) flopping at top speed. Mine also stopped flopping shortly after turning off the camera power. No recurrence since working with topped up batteries. Check your battery connections.

Jack
12-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I'll do that.
12-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I had my first 'anomaly' yesterday with the K-3. I was shooting some sunsets with HDR and all went OK except one particular instance. As I pressed the shutter it went ahead and shot the three photos as it normally does but it forgot to do one somewhat important step - it didn't lift the mirror. I of course noticed at once because the image in the OVF didn't black out during the exposure, and just to make sure I wasn't seeing things I looked at the resulting photo which was much as I expected - black with some lighter patches from light coming through the OVF.

The next photo was again fine but just as a precaution I pulled the battery and put it back.

12-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
When using the camera today on one shot the shutter went off on a long burst on it's own and was still shooting after I switched the camera off. It stopped not too long after being switch off so I switched the camera back on and continued taking shots without another mishap. Has this happened to anyone else? I have a feeling it may have been a one off glitch. Oh, and GTW, I wasn't using a grip.
we had +40C in Perth today, could that be heat?
12-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
we had +40C in Perth today, could that be heat?
I know it was hot but this was at 9.30am this morning so heat shouldn't have been a problem at that time.
12-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

the shutter went off on a long burst on it's own
this was at 9.30am this morning
Weirdly, this also happened to me...just one time...during my first use of the K-3...at just about exactly the same time...Sat 11:30am Qld time. My burst stopped when I hit the menu button. I turned the power switch off and pulled the battery. Hasn't happened since. It was about 30C degrees and the battery (genuine) was fully charged.
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
you get the mirror (not shutter) flopping at top speed
I also think it was just the mirror as there were no pics being taken during this burst. Even if it is a power/voltage issue, it's still a very weird thing to happen.

12-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the shutter problem on my first outing with the K-3 on the weekend before Thanksgiving. I had the grip on and AF set to continuous. I don't remember what mode I was in at the time, probably P. The shutter stopped after turning off the camera, but it happened three more times. The temperature could have been low to mid 30's F with wind chill factor. I was on a train going through redwood forest while on a open car to get shots of train at curve points as well as scenery we were passing. I decided to go inside to warm up. Problem didn't happen again while on trip home down the very scenic Highway 1 in California and while in San Francisco primarily at Golden Gate Park. My two K-5's never did that even at 10 degrees F a few weeks earlier while up in the Eastern Sierras. I suspect the cold my case, but wondering if the issue is hardware originated problem. Frustrating though. Glad I had my both K-5's with me as back up and second camera. I already contacted Pentax and looked into sending my K-3 to them after the new year at the Rose Parade. Other than that, getting some good pics.
12-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Train ride was from Fort Bragg, CA to Northspur, CA and back to Fort Bragg where problem occurred. Problem never occurred again back in enclosed car on train and during the balance of trip which was warmer.
12-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

That's troubling, it sounds a lot like the K-5 mirror flop issue. On my K-5, it would happen constantly with fully charged batteries in hot weather. I had to send it in to get it fixed.

If it is a battery current or voltage issue it may be more likely to happen with older batteries. My older D-Li90s are three years old which is about the lifespan of lithium ion batteries. They still work great with the K-5, but might not work as well with the K-3 which seems to need more power.
12-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my K-3 freeze while on when I was in Melbourne yesterday. On/off switch won't turn it off. Pulled the battery out and put back in. Turned on and then all ok for subsequent shots. The only trigger I can think of is that I might have been at the point of filling Card 1 and the camera failed in its attempt to shift to Card 2.
12-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Jon

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I had my K-3 freeze while on when I was in Melbourne yesterday. On/off switch won't turn it off. Pulled the battery out and put back in. Turned on and then all ok for subsequent shots. The only trigger I can think of is that I might have been at the point of filling Card 1 and the camera failed in its attempt to shift to Card 2.
I had the same thing happen a couple days ago. Then today I had the machine gun shutter/mirror issue (after upgrading firmware). This is getting out of control.
12-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

There is a "Firmware 1.01" update available for the K-3 but apparently it does not seem to address the issues encountered here.

I hope you are all letting Pentax know about your issues. I'm confident they can fix the problems but the more they here about it, the better.
12-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I hope you are all letting Pentax know about your issues.
I've used my K-3 a dozen times since my first and only mirror burst, without another incident. Until it happens a second time, for me, I'm going to consider my issue a one-off glitch.
05-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #15

Freeze pentax k3

My pentax k3 is stuck on 2 occasions, with the first optical sigma 50-500 os burst mode av jpg; toshiba sd 16 gb class 10, the second single-shot mode optical pentax 18-135 16 gb card (Class 10 before the coma) but San disck Raw mode av ...... I would say that I expect a propio agg.firmware: with canon never had these problems: I just hope no freez in church during a wedding! Ps remained on the monitor with the last picture taken appears that was not transferred to the scheda.X solve just turn off and on: