Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone using an external mic with a K3

Finally pulled the trigger on a K3.

Thinking about expanding my shooting of video a bit, and I'm wondering what external mic people may be using with the camera.

Any and all input is welcome.

Thx

12-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I use a Rodes smartlav with an Android device to record for what I do...I have a feeling it won't help you much lol...

But being satisfied with the Rodes I would look at a Rodes Videomic...It also depends on application...
12-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
Finally pulled the trigger on a K3.

Thinking about expanding my shooting of video a bit, and I'm wondering what external mic people may be using with the camera.

Any and all input is welcome.

Thx
I have a RODE video mic I used for my K-5. Haven't hooked to K-3 yet
12-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have several of these - Audio-Technica Pro-24CM - Stereo Microphone PRO 24CM B&H Photo

I also have a Zoom H2n and Sony wireless URX-P2 and UTX-B2

12-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The main points to note about choosing a microphone are the following recommended specifications:

- Power Plug-in Power Method (operating voltage of 2.0 V or lower)
- Output impedance 2.2 kΩ.

Other than that, you might like to look at this guide to microphones for Pentax:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Definite Guide on External Video Microphone Selection for Supported DSLRs (Brand Regardless)
12-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I have the Rode stereo videomic and use it on K-5 and K-01. Didn't do any video with the K-3 yet.
12-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I dont shoot video at the moment with DSLR's.

When I did shoot Video, Sennheiser was (is) my preferred brand.

Try one of of these? : Sennheiser MKE 400 Compact Video Camera Shotgun Microphone

12-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

I don't know about others except Rode Stereo Videomic .
It's good at low noise and good sound quality.
12-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I have several of these - Audio-Technica Pro-24CM - Stereo Microphone PRO 24CM B&H Photo

I also have a Zoom H2n and Sony wireless URX-P2 and UTX-B2
I have been thinking of trying my Zoom H2N. What has been your experience with it? Is it awkward attached to the hotshoe or do you do it another way?
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have been thinking of trying my Zoom H2N. What has been your experience with it? Is it awkward attached to the hotshoe or do you do it another way?
It's always in my kit! Sometimes I use it with a lav, sometimes I use it as the mic on the camera, sometimes I just leave it as the main audio track that I use to sync things to.

With any kind of camera, you need a dedicated audio recorder for when you stop filming with your camera. Any of the Zooms are great.

12-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought a H2n. Amazing quality. Handy for all sorts of recording jobs, not just for video tracks.
Only thing I don't like so much is the gloss finish on the shell.
12-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #12

I spent last week filming with a Rode Video mic Pro for a small church project.
It's quite a capable mic, handling outside conditions quite well and produces very little self noise.
Due to the nature of shotgun mics, indoors things sound a bit muddy and strange, unless it's being used with someone speaking at it directly in front of the camera.
The standard Rode video mic is also very nice, although with a few less features, but either will be miles better than the inbuilt mic :P
12-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I bought a H2n. Amazing quality. Handy for all sorts of recording jobs, not just for video tracks.
Only thing I don't like so much is the gloss finish on the shell.

I've got an H2 and am curious about how you use the H2n with the K3. Do you connect the H2n to the K3 with an attenuation cable (or any other cable for that matter), or do you use the H2n standalone and synch up with the video in post processing?
12-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
I've got an H2 and am curious about how you use the H2n with the K3. Do you connect the H2n to the K3 with an attenuation cable (or any other cable for that matter), or do you use the H2n standalone and synch up with the video in post processing?
Both. With the H2n you can "loop" through to the K5/K3 and you get an uninterrupted audio track. A little "snap" of your fingers and you get a clacker mark.

Sometimes I just put my H2n down near the talent, and just leave it alone.

While I recommend the Audio Technica Pro24CM, I also have several Rodes and other shotgun mics as well as some blimps.

When it comes to sound, it's really best to have someone dedicated to that task.