Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K3 - raw

Translated by Google French -> English
The software does not yet take the PEF K3. I use a compromise solution. I devellopper RAW by K3 TIFF. IL fate of 16-bit TIFF (about 70 mega photo). We can develop a complete record
It is very good, better than JPG for improvements. The photos above ISO is very correct, try.
It seems long but it goes very fast for the following manipulation:
1) Picture Playback
2) press the button fash clover
3) select RAW
4) OK
5) select: image or multiple image or folder (personally always files)
6) selecion folder button OK
7) develop the images as shooting, OK
8) choose TIFF-button ok
9) select record on the map SD1 or SD2 (I think if 2 cards in the camera) ....
It is part
Warning have a busy Bow Thruster! I work the camera in the car at home, I get home it's done

12-18-2013, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ric,

Might be better to write in french and Ill translate.

La traduction est incompréhensible, écris en français et je traduirais.
12-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also set the camera to record RAW in DNG format instead of PEF. That's probably a lot easier.
12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just love the warning about the busy bow thruster. Curious to know what it meant before Google mangled it.

I second what Ter-ror says better just set the raw to record DNG rather than record in PEF and convert to TIFF in camera.

I have recently found use for the TIFF route though following suggestions from this forum - it allows you to take advantage of the multi-AWB which I find sometimes achieves better results than I can achieve manually in PP and at the same time is almost as good as DNG for further post processing.

12-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pour DimC , merci pour la traduction et peut-être refaire un autre post
Pour ceux qui photographient en RAW et si leur logiciel préféré ne supporte pas encore les PEF du K3 (pour moi DXO) et le DNG. Pour DXO il faut attendre courant janvier. Il existe une solution intermédiaire et temporaire pour développer en TIFF 16 Bits, ce qui permet de garder un maximum d'informations (meilleur que le JPG en 8 bits). Faire développer par le K3. Attention les fichier font environ 70 mega. Pour Pour les photos en haut-iso c'est très bon, faites des essais.
1) se mettre en mode lecture - affiche la dernière photo
2) appuyer sur le bouton flash du trèfle
3) sélectionner RAW
4) sélectionner images ou plusieurs images ou dossiers - puis faire OK -
5) développer images telles que prisent - un petit temps d'attente
6) Format fichier TIFF
7) si il y a deux cartes SD sur l'appareil, choisir la carte
C'est parti - Avoir un batterie correctement chargée.
12-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I just love the warning about the busy bow thruster.
Moi aussi.
(And I've seen a busy bow thruster before!)

QuoteOriginally posted by ric83 Quote
Pour DimC , merci pour la traduction et peut-être refaire un autre post
Pour ceux qui photographient en RAW et si leur logiciel préféré ne supporte pas encore les PEF du K3 (pour moi DXO) et le DNG. Pour DXO il faut attendre courant janvier. Il existe une solution intermédiaire et temporaire pour développer en TIFF 16 Bits, ce qui permet de garder un maximum d'informations (meilleur que le JPG en 8 bits). Faire développer par le K3. Attention les fichier font environ 70 mega. Pour Pour les photos en haut-iso c'est très bon, faites des essais.
1) se mettre en mode lecture - affiche la dernière photo
2) appuyer sur le bouton flash du trèfle
3) sélectionner RAW
4) sélectionner images ou plusieurs images ou dossiers - puis faire OK -
5) développer images telles que prisent - un petit temps d'attente
6) Format fichier TIFF
7) si il y a deux cartes SD sur l'appareil, choisir la carte
C'est parti - Avoir un batterie correctement chargée.
Merci, Ric. Je fais la même chose pour mon Sigma SD1 X3Fs.
12-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You can also set the camera to record RAW in DNG format instead of PEF. That's probably a lot easier.
I just love the warning about the busy bow thruster. Curious to know what it meant before Google mangled it.

I second what Ter-ror says better just set the raw to record DNG rather than record in PEF and convert to TIFF in camera.

I have recently found use for the TIFF route though following suggestions from this forum - it allows you to take advantage of the multi-AWB which I find sometimes achieves better results than I can achieve manually in PP and at the same time is almost as good as DNG for further post processing.
Then, to summarize, you'd set the camera for DNG and once you are done shooting, you'd convert all of those DNG files to TIFF files "in camera" ?
Is this the idea?

Thanks.

JP

12-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I process the DNG to JPG via Lightroom. I still have the camera set to RAW+JPG but will likely eliminate the JPG from that soon since I rarely use it anymore.
12-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here is a non google translation (which *might* be better )

If you shoot in RAW and dont have a software yet able to use either PEF or DNG, there is a way to transform pictures to TIFF straight from the camera with the following procedure :

1) Choose play mode, display last picture.
2) press the flash icon on the directionnal pad
3) choose RAW
4)Select "single image" or select multiple images" or "select a folder"
5) choose "image capture settings"
6) Select file format then change to TIFF
7) Choose which SDCard you want to transfer the image.

That's it.

I was trying to help Ric with some translation, I dont use this process myself.

DimC
12-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Then, to summarize, you'd set the camera for DNG and once you are done shooting, you'd convert all of those DNG files to TIFF files "in camera" ?
Is this the idea?

Thanks.

JP
Yes. you can process all image in a single batch, it will take time I guess.
12-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

On the general subject of K-3 RAW's, exiftool has been updated again (v9.44) with a few more K-3 additions. Phil Harvey has been working hard on decoding the K-3 metadata since it was released:

Dec. 11, 2013 - Version 9.44
  • Added a new Pentax WhiteBalance value
  • Added back the K-3 SRResult tag, but make it Unknown and with no print conversion
  • Fixed problem copying the maker notes of some recent Pentax models

ExifTool by Phil Harvey
12-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Is this the idea?

Thanks.

JP
Yes, but not all the DNG files, just that small minority of photos where the multi-AWB achieved better than what I could by manually adjusting WB in lightroom. For all the rest I just import the DNGs and process them in the normal way.

Typically I would first process all the DNGs in lightroom in the normal way and where I have difficulty with the WB with some of the photos I'd have a look at the preview on the camera (or the jpeg on the second card) to see if it looks like the M-AWB has done its magic and if it looks promising I'll convert those particularimages to TIFF in camera, import into LR and process further.

Until it was helpfully pointed out to me that the camera could convert to TIFF I was doing same but with jpeg, with the obvious drawbacks that had for PP.
12-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Until it was helpfully pointed out to me that the camera could convert to TIFF I was doing same but with jpeg, with the obvious drawbacks that had for PP.
It would be nice if the camera had a full range of file save options to include TIFF, so users could choose from this list of save options in the menu:

- JPG
- TIFF
- RAW [PEF]
- RAW [DNG]
- RAW+ [RAW+JPG]
- RAW+ [RAW+TIFF]

Coding that into the firmware shouldn't present much trouble, I think, since all those features are already in the camera.