Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is the part of the Pentax forum, I finds most amusing… rousing the rabble to fudge a poll.
Meh, you need to login to vote on that poll. The main point of that poll is for DPR to get more members, so there is not really anything to fudge. Its not like users can vote which camera is "best" - I doubt any of us had all of those cameras at our disposal. Or even most of them. We only vote to have our voice heard, and DPR allows it to get more hits. But! I maybe if we are loud enough, DPR might notice Pentax a little more.

12-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is such a silly poll. How many people have actually used a Nikon df, a Canon D70, Nikon D7100, and a Pentax K3? Much less the cheap end cameras... I guess this ends up being more of a poll of the people who frequent DP Review and how rabid each brand's fans are. All well and good and I suppose Pentax fans probably do pretty well in that, but it probably won't make a difference for anybody's choice of a camera.

By the way, I've got to create three more DP Review user IDs so I can vote three more times...
12-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is such a silly poll. How many people have actually used a Nikon df, a Canon D70, Nikon D7100, and a Pentax K3? Much less the cheap end cameras... I guess this ends up being more of a poll of the people who frequent DP Review and how rabid each brand's fans are. All well and good and I suppose Pentax fans probably do pretty well in that, but it probably won't make a difference for anybody's choice of a camera.

By the way, I've got to create three more DP Review user IDs so I can vote three more times...
When I leave there I always feel the same as I do when I leave a car dealer's showroom.

Thankfully I only need to do either once every four years.
12-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
Jon

Anyone else find it confounding that the K-3 section of the Forum is plagued with posts discussing the issues we have faced with the camera...
Yet among all these is a post asking us to vote for it as DSLR of the year?

12-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Quote
Anyone else find it confounding that the K-3 section of the Forum is plagued with posts discussing the issues we have faced with the camera...
Yet among all these is a post asking us to vote for it as DSLR of the year?
Show me one camera on that list that didn't had any kind of issues since the day it was launched... or had people not complaining about it...
12-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Jon

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Show me one camera on that list that didn't had any kind of issues since the day it was launched... or had people not complaining about it...
mrNewt.
I am not trying to stir things up by any means. Up to this week, I would have been totally on board. And I agree that some people just like to complain. But having experienced two hard failures in 3 days (had to remove the OEM battery from the k-3 to stop the issues) I am just saying that I have become reluctant. I like my k-30 and have never experienced an issue. I have also put Canon 5d's through absolute hell without a hiccup. But in clean and controlled conditions I expect a companies flagship to be a little more reliable or consistent. That being said, I am not abandoning ship. I hope by firmware 1.0whatever they get it all sorted, because when this camera is not freaking out, it's brilliant.
12-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

mrNewt.
I am not trying to stir things up by any means. Up to this week, I would have been totally on board. And I agree that some people just like to complain. But having experienced two hard failures in 3 days (had to remove the OEM battery from the k-3 to stop the issues) I am just saying that I have become reluctant. I like my k-30 and have never experienced an issue. I have also put Canon 5d's through absolute hell without a hiccup. But in clean and controlled conditions I expect a companies flagship to be a little more reliable or consistent. That being said, I am not abandoning ship. I hope by firmware 1.0whatever they get it all sorted, because when this camera is not freaking out, it's brilliant.
James... is that you mate!?

I know you what you mean!
I was just trying to say that the grass is not that greener on the other side either...

12-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One More Reason?

I agree with most of the above posts and will add another reason;
Many sites that purport themselves as 'experts' in some field, post "Best Of' lists regularly, usually at year's end. And just as regularly, these lists are met with howls from detractors, fanboys, gearheads. So, in response we see in many areas, an additional list; "Users Poll" or "Consumer Poll'.
"See, we're fair-minded, we gave you a list, too!" Of course, these two lists rarely, if ever, agree. We see this with film critics, music mags, automobile forums, virtually any field where there's major competing rivalries.
The users slam the 'official' site list for being elitist, out-of-touch, paid off by advertisers, unfair, etc. Some of which is undoubtly true.
The site scoffs at the "users" poll for being (again) fanboys, overreacting, under-researched, biased. Some of which is surely true.
Meantime, as Na Horuk points out, the site benefits by increased readership, membership and volume. Official winners crow about their victory, others grumble about the results. The site appears to be above-board by giving everyone a voice, failing to mention that the user's poll is virtually useless, a sop to the masses to keep them happy and coming back.
But occasionally, say for example here, if the K-3 happens (by divine intervention, pure luck or perhaps a full-court press) to win this particular poll, it would benefit Pentax much more than at any other recent time. Because the K-3 IS competitive with the D7100 or Canon 70D, on a level playing field. It is without a doubt one of the best, (if not THE BEST) APS-C DSLR available in 2013. Now the fact that Canon and Nikon outsell Pentax by roughly 90% to 10% in most markets, means any mention of near equality (much less superiority!) in a given class of camera, is near-heresy, a major blow has been struck. We've crashed the party and won't leave. Uninvited? Take your invite and stuff it.
JMO
Ron
12-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
Jon

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
James... is that you mate!?

I know you what you mean!
I was just trying to say that the grass is not that greener on the other side either...
Haha, "Great News!" I agree with you Newt.
12-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the issues we have faced with the camera
Issues? What issues?
12-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just casted 47 votes on Nikon df just to make it interesting.
12-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Issues? What issues?
Use yours a bit longer and try, really try and you will find an issue. That's why we buy cameras, right? To find issues?

Steve

...and if you don't find an issue of your own, you can always borrow one from another user. The same two or three are generously shared such that even people with no issues can talk about the issues they might have.
12-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If these kind of "Best of" polls upset you then head over to The Photo Rumors blog/website where there is a poll for Worst Camera if 2013.

Unfortunately, our beloved Q7 arbitrarily made the list.
12-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Don't forget to also vote for :
- Ricoh GR: Have your say: Best Fixed-lens Compact Camera of 2013: Digital Photography Review
- MX-1: Have Your Say: Best Enthusiast Zoom Compact of 2013: Digital Photography Review
- DA 20-40 Ltd: Have Your Say: Best Lens of 2013: Digital Photography Review
12-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They are flush with surveys, eh?