Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 "different" behaviour with pop-up flash

When using K-5 in various modes, with auto ISO set, when you pop up the built-in flash, auto ISO shows the selected ISO setting for your shot, before you pull the trigger (top LCD, screen and in the viewfinder) - same as when NOT using a pop-up flash.

K-3 however behaves differently, when the flash is popped up, the screen, LCD and viewfinder all change to "Auto" from the previous numeric value. You can't see what ISO you will get (in ISO auto mode) until after the shot is taken, unless you change to manual iso by selecting a value.

Curiously, the K-3 selects a much lower iso value than the K-5 ever did, resulting in a much better shot most of the time.

Not seeing the actual iso value is annoying IMO.

My question is: is the K-5 behaviour better? or the K-3 behaviour? The resulting K-3 shots do seem much better.
What do other people think?

Jack.

12-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Forum Member

I've noticed the same behaviour too. I do prefer to see the ISO when the shot is taken without having to review the image.

Pentax's pop-up flash logic changed between the ist*DS/DL to the K10D. The change was with the DS/DL even though you were on Auto-ISO, the flash would trigger and the ISO was adjusted accordingly just prior to the shot (maybe after the light has been evaluated). Most of my flash shots on the DS/DL ended up having ISO-200. On the K10D, the ISO became fixed based on the evaluation of ambient lighting conditions and the flash would trigger with enough power to match the ISO. I raised this several times in various forums and was told this is how it should be. So basically on the K10D I was getting flash-exposed shots at ISO 1600 which resulted in grainy well lit images.
12-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's two settings I can think of that might effect different ISO settings. They are 3 "ISO Auto" and 5 "Program Line" settings, so you have quite a few combinations. (I'm talking about a k5ii but k5 is probably the same.)
12-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't yet had time to observe your issue - but - I've takien so far a grand total of 7 shots with my brand new K3. 3 were indoors with onboard flash. The difference in exposure (correct, at last) is astonishing!! If I have to trade knowing my ISO for correct exposure, . . . . .

12-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
When using K-5 in various modes, with auto ISO set, when you pop up the built-in flash, auto ISO shows the selected ISO setting for your shot, before you pull the trigger (top LCD, screen and in the viewfinder) - same as when NOT using a pop-up flash.

K-3 however behaves differently, when the flash is popped up, the screen, LCD and viewfinder all change to "Auto" from the previous numeric value. You can't see what ISO you will get (in ISO auto mode) until after the shot is taken, unless you change to manual iso by selecting a value.

Curiously, the K-3 selects a much lower iso value than the K-5 ever did, resulting in a much better shot most of the time.

Not seeing the actual iso value is annoying IMO.

My question is: is the K-5 behaviour better? or the K-3 behaviour? The resulting K-3 shots do seem much better.
What do other people think?

Jack.
If you think about it how in a probably working pre flash system know what ISO you'll be using before assessing the flash required?
So I think what happens now is

1 no iso set - shows auto
2 preflash
3 iso set
4 main flash
5 correctly exposed image

There is no where in this to show you ISO prior to th shot being taken.