Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dust removal question with k-3.

I've got a question about the dust removal feature with the K-3.
With my K-30 when I go to the dust removal feature and started it there is a very distinctive sound, the sensor being shaken I assume, and possibly even a little vibration sensation. However, when I do the same with the K-3, there is no apparent sensation at all. Did they make the dust removal feature that much quieter and not noticeable with the K-3? It is not that I use that feature often, but if it is defective, then what else is defective. Besides at that price I expect near perfection.

12-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve I don't own the K-3, but with the K-5 the dust removal is almost silent also. It is my understanding (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) but now the camera vibrates the sensor at close to ultrasonic speeds. With the K-20 (like the K-3) it was a lot slower and I also think it hit the stops at the end of the throws which made the rattling sound.

NaCl(nothing to worry about)H2O
12-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-3 uses an ultrasonic piezo element to remove dust. It cannot be heard working.

The K-30 and K-3 do not have this and instead used the SR mechanism to shake the sensor. The latter is less effective but more economical because it uses a mechanism that was already there for another purpose (shake reduction)
12-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

LOL, this issue regularly comes up with the new users of the K-5 too.

The ultrasonic dust reduction of the K-5/K-3 is extra quiet but very effective.
Having been used to the loud K-x rattle and shake, it took me a while before I accepted the K-5 process. The K-x dust-reduction sounds and feels like a paint-shaker in comparison.

Pic below illustrates the K-3 dust reduction system. No need to shake the sensor about anymore - the piezoelectric element does the job at 'supersonic' speed:

Attached Images

Last edited by rawr; 12-22-2013 at 07:02 AM.
12-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
Steve.<== Feels better now.
12-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #6

K-3 has two options for dust removal: on turning a camera on and on on turning camera off. As far as I remember, K-5's had the dust removal only on turning cameras off.
Why does K-3 have two options instead of one combined? Does dust removal have any negative impacts on a sensor or something like this?
12-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
K-3 has two options for dust removal: on turning a camera on and on on turning camera off. As far as I remember, K-5's had the dust removal only on turning cameras off.
Why does K-3 have two options instead of one combined? Does dust removal have any negative impacts on a sensor or something like this?
The dust removal phase takes some time so it makes it take a bit longer to be able to shoot after switching on the camera. So if you don't want to miss that important photo because the camera was busy cleaning the sensor you would just let it do the cleaning when switching off. If the short added delay in starting up is of no concern to you then you would probably want to set it to clean both on switch on and switch off. The delay is only about half a second so for most people maybe it is not an issue.

The dust removal actually normally lasts longer than that but pressing the shutter interrupts it so the delay is not as long as it would be if it were to complete the dust removal but still longer than when the dust removal is turned off.

12-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Thank you for the explanation, lister6520!
10-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Does dust removal have any negative impacts on a sensor or something like this?

Good question. The dust removal is off by default. Should I turn it on from preventive reasons (even when having no current troubles with dust), or rather keep it off? When turned on, is there a risk of some damage or wear?