Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I already lost one Pentax genuine M 30086 and with second I've done some kind of modification which is now, saved in the camera box in the closet. I like hiking so the camera is always in the move and I was really annoyed when I lost the first one eyecup; seems like the Pentax made it all just of rubber just that it can be purchased again. Two weekends after that I got new one from Japan and I was start to thinking how could I make it unlosable. "I have to lace-up that little thing somehow", was my thought. And I've done some thing, but since I told you I like to hike, the last time when I was out that eyecup was hanged on monofilament fishing line about twenty-thirty times and it was so irritating to put it back to its place every time. This modification is maybe good for someone who isn't that much in move.

Then I bought two eyecups from jruss71731 on ebay. It has, and I quote, "metal and plastic frame that slips over the viewfinder frame, and a glass window to keep dust off your viewfinder" (unlike the genuine M 30088 which is all made only of rubber). I got it yesterday and it still must be tested but somehow I think I will not have any problems with it.
Some pictures are shoot with cellphone so details aren't that good.

http://tinyurl.com/qesnp8u

11-01-2014, 05:33 AM - 3 Likes   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
So I would recommend not buying this product or dealing with ACE of Japan. It cost me $15 and 6 weeks of waiting for this product and one photo shoot to lose it. I have now asked Amazon to intervene and take this company off of their preferred list. Hopefully Amazon will refund me my money.
This is rediculous. What exactly did they ACE do wrong? YOU lost it and THEY should pay for it now? If you lose your shoes would you request a refund from the seller, too?
THINK before you publicly try to destroy someone else reputation.
11-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #18

I lost mine and ACE would not refund my money. But since I bought through Amazon, they did! Poor piece of equipment. Haven't found anything since.
11-01-2014, 08:51 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
I lost mine and ACE would not refund my money. But since I bought through Amazon, they did! Poor piece of equipment. Haven't found anything since.
I find it odd you think someone else should pay for your carelessness.

11-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #20

What the? When there is not a metal clip on the eye piece, it lasted 5 minutes on the famous upside down Black Rapid strap! Who am I to think that it was designed poorly? I assumed they knew what they were doing and selling it to withstand the rigorous use of a professional camera.
09-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #21
Forum Member

Can I ask a silly question?
How do you remove the eyecup that comes with the K3? It seems pretty fixed and it appears it would rather tear than come off. Is there a knack to it or something I'm missing?
09-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertie Quote
Can I ask a silly question?
How do you remove the eyecup that comes with the K3? It seems pretty fixed and it appears it would rather tear than come off. Is there a knack to it or something I'm missing?
Press up with both thumbs from the bottom the inner plastic part that surrounds the opening is part of what moves and then the whole thing should slide off.

09-02-2015, 02:00 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Press up with both thumbs from the bottom the inner plastic part that surrounds the opening is part of what moves and then the whole thing should slide off.
Thanks UncleVanya, I'll give that a go.
09-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by malenisjaj Quote
Then I bought two eyecups from jruss71731 on ebay. It has, and I quote, "metal and plastic frame that slips over the viewfinder frame, and a glass window to keep dust off your viewfinder" (unlike the genuine M 30088 which is all made only of rubber). I got it yesterday and it still must be tested but somehow I think I will not have any problems with it.
Some pictures are shoot with cellphone so details aren't that good.
Would be interested in hearing your test results on this eye cup malenisjaj.

I found the K3-ll eye cup rubber very soft, almost unusable. I put my K10D one on. The rubber was alot better/firmer. Seems the eye cup is one thing that's got worse with the new release.

Looking at getting the ones malenisjaj got. I'm guessing the ebay listed K5 is the same as the K3-ll eye cups. Since my K10D fit the K3-ll.

TWO EYE CUP Cups FOR Pentax K5 K 5 Digital Eyecup NEW | eBay
09-06-2015, 02:22 AM   #25

Hi Craig66.
Well, after almost year of using I concluded this:

Good for: light hiking where you don't have large backpack (my is 65 L) and lots of other gear, when the paths towards mountain/hill spots are easy. Excellent on daily use. It has two little metal hooks, so (if and) when it pops out from its slot, it remains with one hook in camera. At least, that was in my case.

Not good for: (semi) extreme hiking, because of the knowledge from light hiking/daily use that there are times when it pops out and I didn't want to have risk of losing it. Problem is when you use it on difficult paths, camera is moving alot and you don't have energy to look every time if the eyecup still standing or not.

Also, before week or two, I noticed that some little part of rubber is cracked, but I repaired it with super glue on almost whole area from the outside and small one from inside, just to be sure. Now it's ok.

I would like if the producer could make this eyecup as it is BUT with hooking method just like on the eyecup that comes with K-5 II or K-3. That would be much firmer and without any chances to semi pop-out. On the other hand, perhaps producer wanted to be just like this because if it could be the way I want it to be, then only the rubber would pop out, while the metal construction, where rubber is attached, would stay on the camera. Just thinking.

Bottom line: I use it 90% of time, and when I go where I think I could have risk of losing it, I put genuine eyecup which came with K-5 II. It takes 10 seconds. I recommend it.
09-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #26

Thanks. I think I'll just stick with the k10D one. It's rubber holds it's shape better and doesn't just collapse flat like the one that came with my K3-ll.
09-08-2015, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I miss my Canon F-1 Speedfinder...

wish something like this was available for our modern cameras:

Michael
10-06-2022, 02:20 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
wish something like this was available for our modern cameras:

Michael
Some of the Fuji GFX models have a modular viewfinder!

I'm trying to find out if the eyecup M has any magnification, it seems it doesn't?