Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
AF assist light only works in green mode

The camera's internal AF Assist light and the AF Assist LED on the AF360FGZII appear to work only in green mode. I have just upgraded my firmware to 1.01, and am sure it used to work in other modes before the software upgrade.
All comments appreciated!
Regards Rob

Last edited by robheath; 12-23-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
12-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you check the AF light setting?
I know that my K-5II only uses it when it's really (really really) dark. Maybe the Auto mode just uses it at higher light levels.
12-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
The AF Assist light is turned on in the menu. And yes I went really dark (lens cap on), but still got the same result
12-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked my K-3 with the AF540 FGZII and the LED assist comes on in all modes.

With the flash removed the green assist light works in all modes also.

I am running FW 1.01
AF assist light setting is on.
I tried it in a dark room, not with the lens cap on.

Last edited by crewl1; 12-23-2013 at 03:22 PM.
12-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by robheath Quote
The camera's internal AF Assist light and the AF Assist LED on the AF360FGZII appear to work only in green mode. I have just upgraded my firmware to 1.01, and am sure it used to work in other modes before the software upgrade.
All comments appreciated!
Regards Rob
The update may have reset your custom settings, so I would start by checking those.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have just checked my K-3 and I get the same result - that is assist light only in green mode, well almost.

I found that in the U1, U2 and U3 modes the green assist light does work. Now those modes override most of the settings so I am guessing there is some setting somewhere that is preventing the focus light from doing its thing. However I've been going through the settings and one by one making them match what is in U1 and still cannot get the focus light to come on. Even tried it in a completely dark room. So dark that a 30 second exposure at max ISO gave a completely black image except for the noise.

Maybe a factory reset would fix it but I'm not going to try that as there are too many things I'll need to set up again. I might eventually though if nothing else fixes this issue.

I have a feeling that this went wrong after upgrading to 1.01 but I'm not sure.
12-23-2013, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Figured it out - if I switch from AF.C to AF.S the light works just the same as it does in green mode.

What was in common between the User modes and green mode is that all four were doing AF.S or AF.A (which includes S).

I don;t know if this is a bug or design intent.Could be some sense in not using the focus light for AF.c but not so sure when I think about it.

Strangely enough then in live view it works both in af.c and af.s

12-23-2013, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Figured it out - if I switch from AF.C to AF.S the light works just the same as it does in green mode.

What was in common between the User modes and green mode is that all four were doing AF.S or AF.A (which includes S).

I don;t know if this is a bug or design intent.Could be some sense in not using the focus light for AF.c but not so sure when I think about it.

Strangely enough then in live view it works both in af.c and af.s
I reproduced it here, good catch. Must be by design, hope that is the OP's situation.

Edit: confirmed on P45 only says Assist function in AF-S. Omitted from AF-C.
Attached Images

12-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think it has to work that way (no AF assist light in AF.C mode) otherwise you'd get an inaccurate metering and perhaps the subject looking like an alien in the shots.
12-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #10

Original Poster
Great research thanks
AF.S is the answer!
I did read the manual cover to cover, but it was a while ago.
I can see some logic in it not turning on for AF.C: if it was on for AF.C presumably it would have to occult each time the shutter opens in order to avoid affecting exposure/colour cast.
09-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for figuring this out. I thought mine was burnt out or something!
10-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robheath Quote
Great research thanks
AF.S is the answer!
I did read the manual cover to cover, but it was a while ago.
I can see some logic in it not turning on for AF.C: if it was on for AF.C presumably it would have to occult each time the shutter opens in order to avoid affecting exposure/colour cast.

Just curious, why have you not updated to ver. 1.30 of the firmware? If I read correctly you do own a K-3 not a K-3II.

Larry