Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lenses for the K-3

What's your favorite lens to use on the K-3?
I am still learning my way around the K-3 and I love the flexibility of the 18-135 lens but am curious to know what everyone else is using and why?
I imagine that there are other lenses out there with better image quality so I want to be on the lookout to possibly add to my lens collection in the future.

12-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

I'm in the exactly same position having only the 18-135mm.

I have my eyes fixed on the Pentax 31mm Limited or the new Pentax 20-40mm Limited. Just don't know which one to chose. The 31mm should have an exellent "magic" or "pixie-dust" picture quality - but maybe the 20-30mm does too and then adds zoom. If so, I will of course chose the later.

But "magic" and "pixie-dust" picture quality? Hmmm...sounds nice ;-)

Last edited by Ztrejfer; 12-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.
12-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I am still learning my way around the K-3 and I love the flexibility of the 18-135 lens but am curious to know what everyone else is using and why?
I imagine that there are other lenses out there with better image quality so I want to be on the lookout to possibly add to my lens collection in the future.
I will be the first to ask you: what do you like to take pictures of and where?
My favorites are situation specific:
Most wildlife is a DA*300 (amazing resolution)
Indoor sports is Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS (fast AF and sharp)
Family outing is the DA 18-135 (flexible, don't have to change lenses)
For macro I like the DFA 100WR (sharp and goes to 1:1 magnification)
For street I use most the DA21 LTD (wide, quick, small, light)

Last edited by crewl1; 12-23-2013 at 05:18 PM.
12-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

I have had the 20-40 for a few weeks now. It is certainly a very good lens. I also have the Fa31 which is the best lens I have ever owned. If I could only have one it would be the FA31, simply the best. The new Limited zoom is a wonderful walkabout lens and I am glad that I have both. In fact on hikes, the 20-40 is so light, It makes taking the 60-250 a viable option for this almost 60 yr old hiker. Another excellent lens on the K3.

12-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My DA70 Limited is nearly unique as a fast and tiny telephoto, only the FA77 comes close. Both are quite excellent but the 70 was built for APS-c so it could be made smaller. If your budget is tight the DA50/1.8 can be found at excellent prices - it's a bit faster and nearly as talented, but the build quality of Limited lenses really sets them apart.
12-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much the same as on the k-5, I've not noticed any real difference in the how lenses work on the k-3. But if you are asking what would be good lenses to go with the k-3 then:

DA*16-50
DA*60-250
DFA 100mm macro WR
Any of the DA Limiteds

The k-3 has the ability to get a lot out of good glass.
12-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

dont waste money in other lens, just go forward to DAs the sharpness and contrast is complete different.

12-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, there are some terms that I don't understand. What is "DA" and "FA" ?
From what I gather a "prime" lens is a fixed lens....correct?

I like taking photos of people, landscapes and macro. While I like color, I love black & white.
I'll probably be looking for a standard fixed lens that's comparable to the 50mm lens that was on my Nikon F2.
....and also a fixed wide angle.
I want something that is high quality and very sharp.

My previous lenses included:
Nikon 28mm, 50mm, 105mm and a 200mm ....all fixed lenses. I sold everythig except the 50mm that's on my F2 many, many years ago along with all my B&W darkroom equipment.
12-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, there are some terms that I don't understand. What is "DA" and "FA" ?
From what I gather a "prime" lens is a fixed lens....correct?

I like taking photos of people, landscapes and macro. While I like color, I love black & white.
I'll probably be looking for a standard fixed lens that's comparable to the 50mm lens that was on my Nikon F2.
....and also a fixed wide angle.
I want something that is high quality and very sharp.

Nikon 28mm, 50mm, 105mm and a 200mm ....all fixed lenses. I sold everythig except the 50mm that's on my F2 many, many years ago along with all my B&W darkroom equipment.
DA and FA are two distinct series of Pentax lenses. The DA's are the newest, are optimized for digital sensor, and do not have an aperture ring.
See this link for all of the Pentax lens series. Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
12-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is "DA" and "FA" ?
And here is some more info if you want the details: Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Just FYI but all Pentaxians are required to have this info memorized..... /joking
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Gallery
lens

I have also just received my K3, and am enjoying it. The last SLR I had was a Canon AE1 which I would gladly have stuck with Canon had the lenses I had on that body been forward compatible with new Canon equipment. But they weren't which allowed me to look at things as completely starting all over (although I had a series of very early adopter first generation of Digital cameras from Minolta which still work but just don't have the lens capabilities).

I'd always look that the situation you have (or are intending to be in) to have an idea of what you are after. I see people are recording a Sigma 70-200 f2.8, but I looked for and am quite pleased with the Tameron "equivalent" which to me makes more sense for a Pentax body since I didn't feel like paying for an extra image stabilizer in the lens itself.

I do some photography with high school cheerleaders and it's indoor competitive season, and the lighting tends to be florescent, so to me while I don't have to worry about weather sealing indoors, poor lighting is something I am still trying to work around. I am amazed at how different the faster lens is in terms of the amount of light it gathers compared to the smaller 18-135 that I got with the camera. I like that lens, but compared to the faster bigger lens, I feel like I'm able to get much better shots just because at the same f stop of the bigger lens I think I'm pushing a couple of faster speeds on the shutter speed.

The bottom line to me is lens speed for this, but I don't want to crop everything from a prime, so a fast zoom still makes sense for me.

Here's an example of what I can capture, and remember they're moving pretty fast when they do this stuff

(F3.5, 1/400, 70mm):

But what it really comes down for me (at least) is that it you should have in mind what your after, then pick the tool. Otherwise if all you have is a hammer that everything will look like a nail. Over time, the lenses that make the most sense will become apparent. I look at it as a whole system that will be built up over time.

(but then again, the "best camera in the world" for you is the one you have with you at that moment)
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The FA31 is the best lens I've ever owned, better than my fa77, fa43, da70, K50/1.2, da40, da15...... You get the idea all the fa limited are special though, and all are better than their da limited counterparts.
...beautiful photos in your albums. You and I have similar subject interests.
I love the shots taken with the FA31 f/1.8 and the DA15 f4.
Will be adding these both to my list of possible purchases in the future.
12-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And still do not know what is "prime" lenses??
12-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi,

Keep in mind Im using No AA filter everytime I shoot with the K-3, and sharpness is really amazing on all of my lenses.

Out of my lens pack that I was using with my K-5 (see sig below), Theses 3 really shines on the K-3.

Sigma 70-200mm DG HSM APO EX f2.8
Sharp, AF speed difference with K-5 is big and more precise.

Pentax 50-135mm f2.8
Sharp, Amazing color rendition, slow AF even on K-3

Tamron 90mm f2.8
Sharp, amazing Bokeh and nice color rendition. Faster AF.
12-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
Forum Member

Having had mixed results and little great from two kit zooms on the K10d (probably more down to my lack of talent than anything else), I just purchased a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 HSM and DA*60-250 with my new K3 (last week).

Busy Christmas prep so not much chance to play, but what little I have done makes me think I'm not quite as useless as I thought.

Both are (to me) excellent. Bright ... Sharp .. Quiet .. Pretty fast (AF is a revelation on K3 after K10d).

The 60-250 appears to be as genuinely worth raving about as most of the reviews I read. It is very heavy though .. and as an opportunist hobbyist .. I don't carry big kit bags and tri-pods ..

Having said that ... One picture with pop up flash, the 60-250, dull inside lighting .. Accidental 1/10s shutter (HyP) rather impossibly turned out perfectly sharp and beautifully exposed .. At 100% you can see the fluffy facial hairs on the cheek ...

I'll post some when I get a moment ... But right now ... I love K3 and both the lenses.

Paul