Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #16

Might it be a shake reduction issue - are you giving it enough time to stabilise?

12-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn Auto Noise Reduction OFF! See this video

The K3 is far too aggressive with noise reduction which will probably be cured in the next firmware update. Set Auto Noise Reduction so it doesn't come on until an ISO of 1600 or even 3200, by default it's working at ISO 200 when it's just not needed.

If you use a tripod be sure to turn SR OFF too or it can add camera shake as it tries to compensate for camera shake that isn't there.

With the higher resolution of the K3 and finer pixels it is far more susceptible to both of these issues.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 12-25-2013 at 03:38 AM.
12-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #18

Did you already try another lens...? Just to make sure that this either a K-3 or a lens issue.
12-25-2013, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cant really say why you get blur, but i am getting great result with the 55 300wr on the k3

12-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Reptilezz Quote
After looking at the shots i took of this pacific baza i have found that none of them are sharp this is a very light crop to get the bird in frame. Should i exchange for a new lens? Or send in for service/calibrating
EDIT: iit looks like there is lots of noise reduction also but ive got noise reduction to OFF and when i was shooting raw it had the same effect. Also at 55 the image is very crisp and clear

This shot looks to me like camera shake / movement, notice the ghosting in the background leaves and branches. As stated in an earlier post, the slightest movement will be greatly exaggerated at longer focal lengths.
12-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
Unregistered User

After looking at the shots i took of this pacific baza i have found that none of them are sharp this is a very light crop to get the bird in frame. Should i exchange for a new lens? Or send in for service/calibrating
EDIT: iit looks like there is lots of noise reduction also but ive got noise reduction to OFF and when i was shooting raw it had the same effect. Also at 55 the image is very crisp and clear
What EXIF do you have on this shot?
12-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Maybe a bad lens? Ive seen some people get great shots, but I'm locked on a tripod, mirror lockup, cable release and stopped down, with and without SR, yet photo are very soft. It used to be great even hand held. Dunno if temps affect it? But I've also used auto focus, live view with no luck. My eyes are not good enough to manual focus reliably.

So just sayin, you're not the only one.

12-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

From what I've seen on the picture exif you were at 1/40s aperture speed, which is not fast enough for handheld. Also when you get to fast shutter speed (I think over 1/250), deactivate the shake reduction option.
12-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You missed a '0' that showed as 1/400.
12-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky-Luc Quote
From what I've seen on the picture exif you were at 1/40s aperture speed, which is not fast enough for handheld. Also when you get to fast shutter speed (I think over 1/250), deactivate the shake reduction option.

Why would you turn off shake reduction when using higher shutter speeds?

I have the K-3 with the DA* 300 f4-lens and I use from 1/160 with shake reduction on and it keeps me stable. When going faster I have not seen any degradation in my pics but if there is some issue with faster shutter speeds and shake reduction I do want to know about it.
12-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
bxf
Veteran Member

I'm not necessarily able to analyse the softness of your specific lens, but the softness of 55-300 at higher focal lengths has been mentioned numerous times in these forums. It's possible that your copy may be par for the course.
12-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #27

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Turn Auto Noise Reduction OFF! See this video

Pentax K-3: REDEMPTION - YouTube

The K3 is far too aggressive with noise reduction which will probably be cured in the next firmware update. Set Auto Noise Reduction so it doesn't come on until an ISO of 1600 or even 3200, by default it's working at ISO 200 when it's just not needed.

If you use a tripod be sure to turn SR OFF too or it can add camera shake as it tries to compensate for camera shake that isn't there.

With the higher resolution of the K3 and finer pixels it is far more susceptible to both of these issues.

Chris
I have turned off the NR and i have set it on a tripod with SR off and the images look exactly the same. Also i have a 18-55 lens as well and i think that is plenty sharp so shouldn't the 55-300 being a much more expensive lens be at least on par with the kit lens?
12-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
This shot looks to me like camera shake / movement, notice the ghosting in the background leaves and branches. As stated in an earlier post, the slightest movement will be greatly exaggerated at longer focal lengths.
Yes but I did try shutter speeds over 1/1000 and it looks the same. I also took a photo of a tree and zoomed in on the back of the screen by about 4x on the leaves and all the leaves looked mashed together.
12-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Exchange that lens if you have the option. The 55-300 should be better than that.
Yes that is what im thinking of doing but first im going to go to my local camera shop to see if i can test a couple of their lenses to make sure its the lens and not the camera. Could i be missing any settings that could make it look like this?
12-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Yes that is what im thinking of doing but first im going to go to my local camera shop to see if i can test a couple of their lenses to make sure its the lens and not the camera. Could i be missing any settings that could make it look like this?
You probably reached the point of over-analysis. If you tried fine tuning the AF module and still get shots like this (plus Live View makes no difference) then you most likely have a lens problem. That the 18-55 is sharp only confirms this.