Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #1

K-3 with Metz 58 AF-2

When I had K-5 IIs I switched off the AF-beam of my camera and Metz 58 AF-2. Everything was fine.
Now I have K-3. I also switched off the camera's AF-beam. Then I tried the Metz on my new camera. However it turned out that the flashlight's AF-beam was still on. I began searching in the Metz's menu for the "AF-beam OFF" point. Surprisingly, now I can't find such an option! (According to the Met's manual "AF-beam" option should be under "m/ft" in "Sel" menu).
Has anyone experienced something like this with your Metz flashlights?

12-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you installed the latest 58 AF-2 firmware? One of the advantages of Metz is you can change the firmware I had to do it for the K5 and the K-01. This is the latest. but it's likely that they haven't caught up with the K3 yet.

Pentax: Metz

The firmware has a loader, one thing that caught me out was that you have to plug your flash into your computer, but leave the flash turned OFF, I assumed that the flash had to be turned on and the software doesn't recognise it, turn the flash off and it does, it needs the 5V from the USB socket to work.

Chris
12-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
Unregistered User

I have the Metz 50 AF-1 and it does not turn the Sb off when turning it off in camera. I use the latest firmware for the flash and camera. No menu item to turn on/off.
12-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, my flashlight has the latest firmware.
A question to those Metz owners who have an option to turn off the AF-beam: If your flashlight isn't connected to a camera can you still find this option in the flashlight's menu?
I want to find out whether this bug because of Metz's unawareness of the new camera or because of something else.

12-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not having an issue with AF-Beam, but wireless flash doesn't appear to be working currently. Reverted to using them in Servo mode, or with radio triggers, which to be honest I find more reliable anyway.
12-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Wireless works fine for me.
10-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Folks

As a new K-3 owner and still finding my way through the options, I've been interested in this thread. I too have a Metz 58 AF-2 and want to use it off camera. Would someone be so kind as to post a rundown of the steps to get this function operational, including the more obvious bits such as whether I have to have my built in flash up or down.

Many thanks

Liney

11-24-2015, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #8

It's easy

First, you have to set the flash on camera (only for the first time), turn it (and camera) on, activate wireless function by going Sel->Remote->Slave. Then, go to Para->Channel, select whatever you want (default 1 is ok unless there are lots of other Pentaxians around doing wireless-flash shooting), this will set the same channel on flash and camera

Second (anytime when you want to use wireless flash)
1. Take the flash, set it to Sel->Remote->Slave
2. Take the camera, go to flash menu (arrow down), select wireless flash (the last symbol in sequence, with a "W" letter over the lightning). You have 2 options on K-3 (earlier models required digging in cFun to ajust the flavour). Wireless master means that in-built flash not only controls the slaves, but also lights the scene. If you choose Control, then in-bult flash tries not to lighten your subject. Pop the in-built flash (this is critical step!). Those having K-3II will have to mount Master-capable flash on top of camera to go wireless.
3. Take a test shot. Most common problem is that light sensor on Metz doesn't see the control flash impulses. That sensor is located on top of flash enclosure (not head, but "body"), on the left side. I usually rise the head upwards and turn it 90deg to clear sky for sensor, then it works fine even without direct visibility (in a moderate sized room).
4. You can control flash options via Para menu, including EV comp, zoom, etc, and switch on/off secondary reflector as usual (via Sel menu)

that is the sensor (little clear cap):

make sure it's not blocked by flash head or anything else
11-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a 58 AF-2 but the sensor is not there but on the side just below where you show it.

What were they thinking when they hid it under the head in your version? Is mine more recent and maybe someone realised what a silly idea that was?

I have used wireless at times with K-r, K-30 and also K-3 and it's always worked fine and also seems very sensitive.

11-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #10

Oh, yes! I have a 58-1 and didn't notice that sensor is moved on the second version.

The one on 58-1 works fine on most occasions (except when head turned left by 90 deg in horizontal position), but with proper ajustment it works even better.