Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sad day: I had to return my K3

Hi everyone. My K3 I bought on Amazon has been giving me fits with inconsistent AF. It would say it was focused, then you take the picture and it is so blurred that nothing is usable. Then you shoot it again and it is perfect. I first thought it was the new Tamron 17-50 F2.8 that I bought, then I tried it on my wife's K5IIs and after a little calibration it is completely consistent in it's AF. Then I tried the DA*300 and it kept doing the same thing. Today I took the 12-24 DA the K5IIs and the K3 out and tried the 12-24 on both cameras and the same lighting and subject for both. On the K5IIs it needed -3 then was perfectly consistent in the images, and on the K3 for every sharp image it gave a really soft image that the AF said was focused. The focused ones were at 0 micro adjustment. I looked at the foot/meter scale and it was on a different distance for almost every shot with a stationary object. Multiple 1/2 pushes of the shutter button before actually taking a pic usually gave a sharp image. I used AFs with focus priority and center point selected and it did the same thing before and after the new firmware. The K5IIs showed no such issues with any lens, and I tried about 10 of them. Amazon allows the return until the 31st so I am gonna do that, then get another one. I'm not posting pics as imo there is no point to it at this stage. Has anyone else seen this behavior in their K3? My guess is this is a fluke and the replacement will cure the issue. Anyway, it is a disappointment but stuff happens.

David

01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say I've experienced that issue... tough luck.
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It happens. I'm not anti Pentax or anything like that, I still feel that the brand offers a combination of features that I can't find in any other.

David
01-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tough luck. Maybe I hit the jackpot with a hand tuned model but my k-3 has been spot on with every lens I've tried. No AF adjustment needed.

Hope the replacement works better.

01-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually am confident that it will. Pentax has been good to me and my wife over the lat 25 years or so.
01-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

You are not alone my friend. I had the same problem. I got my K3 from Pentax Webstore. When I tried my first shots I found the same that the pictures were not sharp in focus. I tired with DA 70mm Ltd and the DA 35mm Macro Ltd. I found no difference in the results. I became suspicious about K3 and tested the same shot with my K5 IIs. They were tack sharp. I went through the drill of doing the AF fine adjustment. It did improve marginally but the pictures were not really sharp. I tested for front focus and back focus issues with 5 AA batteries placed at 45 degrees all that stuff. Though there were no front or back focusing issues what ever I focused was in focus but not sharp in focus. After this I called Pentax webstore and asked for an exchange. I have sent mine back to webstore and waiting for the replacement.
01-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It sucks thats for sure. Pm me or post when you get. you new camera, i would like to know how it all works out.

David

01-02-2014, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #8

For the possible benefit of others who may face similar circumstances in the future- also consider that another alternative is to send the new body into to Pentax service (e.g. CRIS in the US) for proper calibration under warranty. Based on observations during the K-5 product life, I believe that such a sample when properly calibrated will deliver a very solid performance afterward. I am certainly no expert, however my impression is that the end-of-production bodies that are calibrated close to the design intended nominal provide very consistent AF performance while those that are not tend to vary considerably in their AF performance. Therefore it is likely that a sample correctly calibrated under warranty to a OEM master lens will ultimately perform better than an exchange unit unless that exchange unit also meets nominal calibration.
01-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
It sucks thats for sure. Pm me or post when you get. you new camera, i would like to know how it all works out.

David
Sure David, t will take a week or 10 days before I get the replacement. I will keep you posted.
01-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
For the possible benefit of others who may face similar circumstances in the future- also consider that another alternative is to send the new body into to Pentax service (e.g. CRIS in the US) for proper calibration under warranty. Based on observations during the K-5 product life, I believe that such a sample when properly calibrated will deliver a very solid performance afterward. I am certainly no expert, however my impression is that the end-of-production bodies that are calibrated close to the design intended nominal provide very consistent AF performance while those that are not tend to vary considerably in their AF performance. Therefore it is likely that a sample correctly calibrated under warranty to a OEM master lens will ultimately perform better than an exchange unit unless that exchange unit also meets nominal calibration.
Thanks for your input. The idea did cross my mind to send my K3 to Pentax service center but than I thought I will try an exchange and see. And I also thought that this would be faster. I hope that the replacement will solve the issue. However if I have to face the music again I will try the service center route.
01-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
I would like to know why the warranty provider would calibrate the camera better than the factory?
01-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did consider the cris route, but I was worried that if it needed parts it would be gone for many months as it is so new. So this is faster and I think the safer route at this point.

David
01-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
I would like to know why the warranty provider would calibrate the camera better than the factory?
Warranty service in the US is handled by CRIS Camera and presumably they would 'hand tune' any camera they received to factory specs. Is that better than factory? Theoretically no. But the factory might have had a bad day, the camera might have been knocked about in shipping, it might have a part that passed spec at the factory but no longer does for some reason, or the factory may not run as extensive of testing as the service center might.

That said, If I received a camera that did not function properly out of the box, I would prefer an exchange rather than send it in for service. Yes, you take the chance the next one will be no better, but you balance that against the one you have being a 'lemon' that never works right. Not sure there is a right or wrong in this, you pays your money and takes your chances.
01-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Hi everyone. My K3 I bought on Amazon has been giving me fits with inconsistent AF. It would say it was focused, then you take the picture and it is so blurred that nothing is usable. Then you shoot it again and it is perfect. I first thought it was the new Tamron 17-50 F2.8 that I bought, then I tried it on my wife's K5IIs and after a little calibration it is completely consistent in it's AF. Then I tried the DA*300 and it kept doing the same thing. Today I took the 12-24 DA the K5IIs and the K3 out and tried the 12-24 on both cameras and the same lighting and subject for both. On the K5IIs it needed -3 then was perfectly consistent in the images, and on the K3 for every sharp image it gave a really soft image that the AF said was focused. The focused ones were at 0 micro adjustment. I looked at the foot/meter scale and it was on a different distance for almost every shot with a stationary object. Multiple 1/2 pushes of the shutter button before actually taking a pic usually gave a sharp image. I used AFs with focus priority and center point selected and it did the same thing before and after the new firmware. The K5IIs showed no such issues with any lens, and I tried about 10 of them. Amazon allows the return until the 31st so I am gonna do that, then get another one. I'm not posting pics as imo there is no point to it at this stage. Has anyone else seen this behavior in their K3? My guess is this is a fluke and the replacement will cure the issue. Anyway, it is a disappointment but stuff happens.

David
The only focus issue I have had resently is when trying to capture a horse standing pretty still. It just would'nt fokus. Choosing any other object in the visinity was spot on but not the horse. Still tying to figure that one out. I side stepped a few pases and then got sharp pics. Same ISO, shutter and f-stop. It was cloudy and not so dark, the horse was brown with a white streak on the front.

Before this I had problem with my 17-50 2.8 Tamron that I have had for two years and Live View focus with my DA 18-135 that came in the box. I sent them and my K-3 to the service place. They sent me new lenses and my K-3 back.
01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Warranty service in the US is handled by CRIS Camera and presumably they would 'hand tune' any camera they received to factory specs. Is that better than factory? Theoretically no. But the factory might have had a bad day, the camera might have been knocked about in shipping, it might have a part that passed spec at the factory but no longer does for some reason, or the factory may not run as extensive of testing as the service center might.

That said, If I received a camera that did not function properly out of the box, I would prefer an exchange rather than send it in for service. Yes, you take the chance the next one will be no better, but you balance that against the one you have being a 'lemon' that never works right. Not sure there is a right or wrong in this, you pays your money and takes your chances.
That's what I was thinking, "Factory Specs", someone at the factory needs better glasses ;-)