Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Really Right Stuff bracket on K-3

I contacted Mark at Really Right Stuff about availability of a camera bracket. I have used them on every every dSLR I've owned, they're based on the ARCA-Swiss mounting system, and are fantastic products. He informed me that they have no intention of making a camera specific plate for the Pentax K-3, but after sending him photos of the camera bottom, he assured me the BP-CS universal plate would work. I just received the plate in the mail today, and two minutes later I had it installed. Looks good, and should work great like all the others I've owned.

01-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think they have a plate for the K-5. Just checked the web site and it looks like they offer the BP-CS and BK7-L L-plate for the K-5.
I think the photo universe guy mentioned his K-5 bracket worked on his K-3.
01-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Markins also has one that works fine on the k-3. Just FYI
01-02-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Arca Swiss plates can be had cheaper. Their shine was IMO the L bracket which if they aren't making, then a pox on them. Lol.

01-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #5

powderhound2. What ball head do you use with this plate. There is a bewildering array of these heads available. Hard to know what to choose.
01-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
My ball head is Acratech Ultimate ballhead. It's a pretty smooth, easy to use setup.
Acratech Ultimate Ballhead with Right Side Rubber Knob 1123
01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Arca Swiss plates can be had cheaper. Their shine was IMO the L bracket which if they aren't making, then a pox on them. Lol.
Their plates have a lip that keeps the plate from rotating and were extremely well built. I'm not sure how well the universal plate helps in this regard because it looks like the bottom screw could slide.

I'm disappointed they're not doing them as well. They CNC their plates. CNC = almost like 3D printing. It's just a computer program and you stick stuff into the machines...

01-20-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I still have my RRS "L" plate that I've never used as I don't have a full company set-up yet. There's a machine shop downtown that I'm to see if they can make a plate that'll include the grip.
01-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #9

The L plate is a must for the K-3!. This is the only way to get proper vertical shots!
01-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by powderhound2 Quote
I contacted Mark at Really Right Stuff about availability of a camera bracket. I have used them on every every dSLR I've owned, they're based on the ARCA-Swiss mounting system, and are fantastic products. He informed me that they have no intention of making a camera specific plate for the Pentax K-3, but after sending him photos of the camera bottom, he assured me the BP-CS universal plate would work. I just received the plate in the mail today, and two minutes later I had it installed. Looks good, and should work great like all the others I've owned.
Thanks for posting which one you got, I've been thinking about buying one of their plates.

I also asked RRS if they were going to make an L-bracket for the K3 as I love the ones I've had for the K20 and K5. Got the same answer that they weren't going to make one for the K-3. I ended up looking around for a universal alternative as I wasn't willing to give up the L configuration. I ended up buying one from Acratech, along with their GP head (I've always hated my Gitzo head). The Acratech L-plate works fine with my RRS macro rails, which also works on the Acratech GP head. It isn't as good a solution as the custom-designed L-plate I have for the K-5, which I had a tendency to just leave on the camera. The Acratech L-plate has a knob on it because it attaches to a tripod plate which gets in the way if you are not using a tripod. Also, the Acratech plate that the L-bracket fits onto is a basic plate. The RRS plate you bought has something that I wish my Acratech plate had - a place to attach a connector for my Optech sling strap. Since I know that the Acratech equipment is compatible with RRS, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, and I think that would be a reasonable alternative all the way around.

It's really too bad they aren't going to make the L-bracket for the K3, their stuff is so beautifully engineered and works so well.
01-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but the Acratech you will never have to sell. It will continue to work with any camera going forward. I too ended up buying the Acratech L-bracket and use it for all my cameras. Instead, I buy a generic plate with a lip and everything "just works".

Michael
01-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have gone the same route with AS plates and L brackets. About 6 years ago I acquired an Acratech GP ballhead with a plate for my K100D. This plate also fit my K20 and now my K5. Acratech still offers Pentax plates. Their plate with the lip is a perfect fit, in that it has a slot so that it can adjust for the width of the camera. Right now the plate is attached to my Q. Its a tad large (wide) but it slides into my GP ballhead perfectly.For what ever reason I really never took to Acratech's L brackets nor the ones from RRS. I bought 2 L brackets over the years from Kirk - one for my old K20 and then one for my K5. They fit perfectly and they stay on the camera body full time.

Unfortunately, it appears that neither Kirk, Acratech nor RRS offer plates for the K3. This is too bad as I do agree that for vertical shots an L bracket is really the only way to go.

01-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course, with the DA* 300mm or DA* 60-250mm there is no need for an L bracket!

Michael
01-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too have gone the same route with AS plates and L brackets. About 6 years ago I acquired an Acratech GP ballhead with a plate for my K100D. This plate also fit my K20 and now my K5. Acratech still offers Pentax plates. Their plate with the lip is a perfect fit, in that it has a slot so that it can adjust for the width of the camera. Right now the plate is attached to my Q. Its a tad large (wide) but it slides into my GP ballhead perfectly.For what ever reason I really never took to Acratech's L brackets nor the ones from RRS. I bought 2 L brackets over the years from Kirk - one for my old K20 and then one for my K5. They fit perfectly and they stay on the camera body full time.

Unfortunately, it appears that neither Kirk, Acratech nor RRS offer plates for the K3. This is too bad as I do agree that for vertical shots an L bracket is really the only way to go.

It's amazing that you can have a custom Rolls Royce, High-End acoustic guitar or home done as long as you're willing to spend the cash, but you can't get a simple bracket. CNC has to be employed for RRS to make their products and this would be a way to generate additional income from us.
01-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by powderhound2 Quote
He informed me that they have no intention of making a camera specific plate for the Pentax K-3
As suggested above...A POX on them!!!

They were good enough to fully support the K-5, why not the K-3?

Steve