Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 Problem? Redemption or Not...

My apologies in advance if this link has been posted before. Ed's made such an ongoing video saga regarding the high-ISO, Jpeg, noise reduction issue that I may have lost track.
But the 'REDEMPTION' video seems to wrap it up;
In his usual rambling and disjointed way, Ed keeps promising to give us the answer(s) but get's sidetracked with lens comparisons, his track record for problem-solving, how we (he) approach a new camera body, upcoming reviews, etc.
He keeps circling and sidetracking but eventually (about 10 minutes in) gets near the point. Turn off the high ISO auto noise reduction. He's guessed at this before (and, was correct, as it turns out) but here he proves it, and 'signs off' on the K-3.
Another several minutes of circling and he gets to 'The bottom line' at 17:30, how and why the setting needs to be changed.
While I admire his enthusiasm and efforts on behalf of the brand, it can be annoying to watch a 20 minute video for 3 minutes of information. I'm grateful for his conclusion and willingness to admit that his own familiarity with the K-5IIs was part of the problem. But, a good edit wouldn't hurt, either.
JMO, Thanks, Ed!
Ron

01-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Unregistered User

I like when he circles around.
01-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Ed was in my class, he'd learn how to edit, and he'd learn that not everyone who can talk is communicating, and that organizing your thoughts and sticking to the topic is a good thing, or maybe he'd just fail, who knows?
01-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

Well, a wise man have told me, a long time ago, that NR should always be off, if you'd want maximum resolution, and you have access to much better noise reduction in software than ever 'onboard'! Only free programs like GIMP have noise reduction that could be compared to that in cameras!

01-05-2014, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If Ed was in my class, he'd learn how to edit, and he'd learn that not everyone who can talk is communicating, and that organizing your thoughts and sticking to the topic is a good thing, or maybe he'd just fail, who knows?
Even more important if the majority of the audience, like on YouTube, comes from countries where English is not always the native language!
01-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, a bit of rambling but he really sounds competent and knowledgable. I'm going to check out any reviews he has about the K5ii, which I have and love.
01-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
Well, a wise man have told me, a long time ago, that NR should always be off, if you'd want maximum resolution, and you have access to much better noise reduction in software than ever 'onboard'! Only free programs like GIMP have noise reduction that could be compared to that in cameras!
I don't know about GIMP, but I do know that NR should be OFF and capture mode should be RAW (or RAW+ sometimes).