Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

DNG questions

Hello,
I have been reading the forum since your K3 review came out and finally decided to join. I bought the K3 a few weeks ago having owned the K7 and the K5 which I still have.
I shoot in DNG most of the time and use Lightroom 5.3. One thing I noticed is that on Import, the thumbnails all show the DNG logo and not the actual photo. Has anyone else seen this? Or is there a setting that I need to make?
Has anyone downloaded a DNG file to an IPad? I don't have my IPad (original version) anymore but that never had a problem with downloading the K5 DNG files. I am considering getting a IPad Air if it doesn't have issues with the K3 DNG files.

01-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John4287 Quote
Hello,
I have been reading the forum since your K3 review came out and finally decided to join. I bought the K3 a few weeks ago having owned the K7 and the K5 which I still have.
I shoot in DNG most of the time and use Lightroom 5.3. One thing I noticed is that on Import, the thumbnails all show the DNG logo and not the actual photo. Has anyone else seen this? Or is there a setting that I need to make?
Has anyone downloaded a DNG file to an IPad? I don't have my IPad (original version) anymore but that never had a problem with downloading the K5 DNG files. I am considering getting a IPad Air if it doesn't have issues with the K3 DNG files.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't DNG Adobe's version of a RAW file? I think that generally when you shoot in the RAW format (or a similar format), you will not see thumbnails containing the actual image that you captured in that file. Only after you have converter the RAW file will you be able to see the image. I do not know if that is the same with TIFF files or not. Like when I shoot RAW on my Canon DSLR, the thumbnails will only show some type of logo after I have imported them into my computer. They will not show an image until after I have converted the RAW file with image-editing software.
01-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not see the icons in Lightoom 5.3 (on Windows 64), they've always imported just fine. As for copying to the iPad, I've never actually tried before. Figured they would not work, LOL. Have to give that a shot.
01-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DNG is a "wrapper" spec that allows one to update the metadata independently of the image data (something Apple has been doing with its OS' for years)

You can have DNG wrapping a RAW file and you can also have DNG wrapping a TIFF file. Up to the manufacturer. As such, DNG is not really a "format".

M

01-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use elements which is in the same family of products. I have always just seen the default logo. I shoot RAW+ and prefer it that way.

I suppose it is possible in file associations to tell windows to see that as an image file and show a thumb of it but I surely can tell you any more than that.
01-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I do not see the icons in Lightoom 5.3 (on Windows 64), they've always imported just fine. As for copying to the iPad, I've never actually tried before. Figured they would not work, LOL. Have to give that a shot.
well I run Photoshop CS5 and use the Adobe Camera Raw and photoshops in built bridge software and I can access K3 DNG directly with no changes.
01-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
I do see the photo thumbnails of DNG files taken from my K5 when I import to Lightroom 5.3 (on iMac 64) but with the K3 I only get the DNG logo. Both K5 and K3 DNG files import into Lightroom without any problem. Just with the K3 files I don't see what I am importing. Will have to wait and see if this changes with further Lightroom updates.

Also, I borrowed an iPad (with Retina Display) with the latest IOS7 on it and it will not display either DNG or PEF files from the K3. It shows a gray thumbnail with no content. Both DNG and PEF files from the K5 display fine. So it looks like Apple needs to update to handle the K3 RAW files. I did not download from the IPad to my iMac to see if it is actually saving the files correctly - something to try later.

01-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just copied one to DropBox and tried to open it... it opened as a pure text/binary file -- which means the iPad didn't know how else to handle it. I tried to load it over into Snapseed to a "file could not be opened" message.
01-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
I just talked with Apple Support so now they are aware that there is an issue. When they do anything about it, who knows. If I get any feedback I'll post it.
01-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
with the K3 I only get the DNG logo. Both K5 and K3 DNG files import into Lightroom without any problem. Just with the K3 files I don't see what I am importing. Will have to wait and see if this changes with further Lightroom updates.
This does not happen on my Mac with LR 5.3 and K-3 DNG files. I get the jpg thumbnails on the LR import screen as per usual. I question whether it is a matter of an upgrade.

M
01-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Have your tried updating your DNG converter and ACR for lightroom to the newer 8.3 version? Also their is a plug-in for windows that enables DNG to be viewed.
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #12

Original Poster
In LR5.3 on the left menu under source it lists "Devices" and then "Files". When I Import, under "Files" shows the K-3. If I click on that button for the K3 it shows the thumbnails as the DNG logo. If I go down under "Files" and click on the K-3 and then the folder "DCIM" and the subfolder under that it does show the jpeg thumbnails. If I repeat this with the K-5, it shows the jpg thumbnails in the K-5 folder under the Devices. Not sure why but as long as one method works that ok.
01-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #13

In LR5.3 on the left menu under source it lists "Devices" and then "Files". When I Import, under "Files" shows the K-3. If I click on that button for the K3 it shows the thumbnails as the DNG logo. If I go down under "Files" and click on the K-3 and then the folder "DCIM" and the subfolder under that it does show the jpeg thumbnails. If I repeat this with the K-5, it shows the jpg thumbnails in the K-5 folder under the Devices. Not sure why but as long as one method works that ok.
+1

it seems lightroom is not 100% ready for k-3 or lr not read the folder structure of how k-3 write to sdcard.
01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
one method works that ok.
I just drag all the files from the card's Finder window into any LR Library screen. Has worked since the beta of version 1.

M
01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I always cut and paste my file from the card to a working directory AND then import from there into Lightroom. Has worked since the beta of version 1.