Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always wondered about the effectiveness of Pentax SR so while doing the Worldwide Photowalk I was with a couple of Nikon Shooters and we did a test while walking at a steady pace we all took a shot one was shooting a D600 the other a D7000 they both had short VR lens and I was using my Tamron 70-200mm mine was the only keeper

01-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Exactly and that applies to all camera brands that have some WR, no? I've shot out in the rain many times. WR does little good when the wind is blowing. And how many Pentax owners are going to soak their cameras in the heavy rain just to see how far WR really goes? I'd think you don't want to find out if the warranty has expired.
Well, Nikon reps do not recommend using their WR bodies under rain. Meanwhile, Pentax cameras have been under faucets, in snow, in blazing cold, covered in Afghanistan sand and then rinsed in the shower, and still work perfectly. Have a look around the forums here, or search for "Afghanistan Pentax" on youtube. You'll see our colleague Heie making the best ad possible for Pentax.

I, for one, trust the WR completely under rain, snow, or dust.

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
To put things is some sort of perspective, where I live we had 19.6 inches (497mm) of rain in the last 3 weeks of November and 22.25 inches (570mm) in December. I am also at the same latitude as the southern shores of Hudson Bay so daylight is somewhat subdued at this time of year. The December rainfall total alone is close to the annual average somewhere like Norwich in eastern England, or even Peterhead in Eastern Scotland. We aren't suffering the Arctic chill that some others on this forum are unfortunately subjected to, but the above rainfall totals would produce something like 32.8 feet (10 metres) of snowfall +/- 30% (depending on texture).
Living in Quebec, we're had a pretty harsh winter too, lots of snow, cold, and rain mixed together. The K-3 is fantastic in the cold, by the way. It lasts longer than me

Here is a shot I made in a studio with the K-3 and Sigma 17-70 (a good lens but not the best). I was up on a small ladder, with 1/180 shutter speed, with some ambient light present. Just to show that it IS possible (easy, even) to get sharp results with 24MP when combined with SR.

Here is the link for the large version:

2013-12-08 V
01-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Exactly and that applies to all camera brands that have some WR, no? I've shot out in the rain many times. WR does little good when the wind is blowing. And how many Pentax owners are going to soak their cameras in the heavy rain just to see how far WR really goes? I'd think you don't want to find out if the warranty has expired.
I think it is peace of mind when you are out hiking and it starts dumping rain, etc. I have lost non-sealed cameras to weather and honestly, I have shot with the DA * lenses in lots of weather -- rain/snow/sleet and as long as I protect the front element it isn't a big deal. But I don't wash them off in a shower or under a faucet or submerge the cameras under water -- just seems cavalier to do something like that.
01-09-2014, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Did someone say handheld shooting techniques to stabilize your camera?

Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - A Handheld Stabilization Guide

But yes, I have also noticed that I have to work harder to get tack sharp shots walking around in 'normal real-world use' than I did before with the 16mpx sensors. The K-3 is making me a better photographer by forcing me to be more deliberate, which I don't see as a bad thing

-Heie
After two months of shooting almost 12000 exposures, most from testing the camera, I find myself again getting sharp results at lower shutter speeds. My technique has improved. In the beginning I had alot of motion blur. So there has been a learning curve and I am now starting to feel that the K-3 is my photographic tool, the way I feel for my K-5. No longer a technical gadget but a tool so next week there will, hopefully, be alot of pictures of Polar Fox and Aurora Borealis to show for it. I am fully confident that the K-3 will work without problem under the cold conditions, below -20 C

01-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I, for one, trust the WR completely under rain, snow, or dust.

Living in Quebec, we're had a pretty harsh winter too, lots of snow, cold, and rain mixed together. The K-3 is fantastic in the cold, by the way. It lasts longer than me

Yeah, I trust the WR and love the K-3. If I could be surgically merged with any technology I own it'd be this camera. Mind you the way it fits in my hands it's pretty close to that already. I know that winter exists elsewhere, but whilst not questioning the camera I am unsure as to my handheld technique, and seriously questioning if it is sensible to live where I do if photography is my main hobby. It just so damn gloomy. Last winter was crisp, cold and clear for months on end and I haven't completely given up hope we'll get some good light at some point in the near future. But last winter I didn't have a K-3.
01-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is peace of mind when you are out hiking and it starts dumping rain, etc. I have lost non-sealed cameras to weather and honestly, I have shot with the DA * lenses in lots of weather -- rain/snow/sleet and as long as I protect the front element it isn't a big deal. But I don't wash them off in a shower or under a faucet or submerge the cameras under water -- just seems cavalier to do something like that.

And there was me thinking you never took the DA 15mm f4 ltd of your camera
01-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Handheld shot with heavy gear.

The Sigma 70-200 F2.8 with OS switched off (prefer the SR as do not have to worry about extra switching of OS) the shot was in full sun and with breezy conditions. Also had dail in-2 Ev to hold down the ISO, the first shots were way over exposed. The 3200 shutter speed was to counter the breeze and my shake, as well to keep the exposure down.

With all the above circumstances and the debate on 24 MP or better not being hand held. My view is that it you get some keepers and you get some not so, it was always this way prior to OS,SR, VR , etc. The photo has no PP straight conversion RAW to JPG. The second cropped version is from 300 percent.

Just My five cents.

PS image stabilisation is great tool within limits and sometimes tripod is better, but who wants take a tripod everywhere you go.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by gmans; 01-09-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: PS
01-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
The 3200 shutter speed was to counter the breeze and my shake, as well to keep the exposure down.

With all the above circumstances and the debate on 24 MP or better not being hand held. My view is that it you get some keepers and you get some not so,
At 1/3200, no camera shake will be visible with any brand. The Nikonian uproar concerns pictures shot at more "normal" speeds, i.e.slower than 1/300 s I gather.
01-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
At 1/3200, no camera shake will be visible with any brand. The Nikonian uproar concerns pictures shot at more "normal" speeds, i.e.slower than 1/300 s I gather.
Yes I see your point, i really wanted to post this pic, was probably not a good choice to make my point, being that hand held has always been that you get some and you miss some due to lack of shutter speed in poor light. Will go looking for better example.
01-09-2014, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Did someone say handheld shooting techniques to stabilize your camera?

Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - A Handheld Stabilization Guide

-Heie
The "torso-hip turn-point" technique is the one I utilize 98% of the time, probably because of my military and shooting background. However, I'm 6'1 with a 78" wingspan, so I don't like tucking my arms into my chest, it's just uncomfortable, especially over an extended period of time. Thus I came up with my hand to shoulder technique previously mentioned in another post. It also works if you have a pole or tree in front of you, you can brace your left hand on the object instead of your shoulder. since there's no kickback on a shutter squeeze you don't NEED to support the barrel (lens) in a manner that maintains one axis for rapid target re-engagement (photos)

his breathing patterns section is great advice, and he's one of the few I've seen in a while talk about the 3 shoot burst technique.

thumbs up for his guide

Last edited by nomadkng; 01-09-2014 at 02:18 PM.
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry this lightweight tripod wherever I travel -- it even fits in my backpack:

All sizes | Pelican Travel Kit #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I carry this lightweight tripod wherever I travel -- it even fits in my backpack:
that's a great idea!
01-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

still, when you want serious sharpness, there really isn't anything like a good tripod. Here is a macro I took last summer with a 1980s Leica R 100mm lens on a 1970s Nikon bellows:

All sizes | Macro Stack 23 (36"x48") | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is a photo of the setup:

All sizes | Setup used for the macro stack | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Proof that old classic gear can still produce quality with today's modern digital cameras!!

J Michael
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've posted this many times, but I might as well again...

1/40s @ 300mm handheld. (But at 12MP).

01-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I have no problem accepting the idea that higher pixel density will be more demanding on technique and shake reduction. Which I imagine will also place more demands on camera construction in areas such as mirror/shutter linkages and ergonomics. What's the D7100 like for shutter actuation? Nikonians might be suffering from mechanical issues in combo with the higher res sensor? I don't know if that's the case, Just idle thoughts on my behalf.

I held a k3 the other day for the first time and the shutter system seems nicely damped and quiet. Pentax make good tools - the camera in totality - for its users. We certainly have some advantages over other brands owners.