Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SD card speed for K-3

Does anyone know optimum card speed for K-3? I have a 32 GB 40 mbs and a 32GB 30 mbs. I am thinking of using 40 mbs for raw and the 30mbs for JPEG in RAW + JPEG mode. Will these cards keep up with the K-3 capabilities, or should I step up a notch for optimum performance? Thanks anyone for comments.

01-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Almost, you will miss out on the the topspeed, bu I don't thing you will ever miss that. In most settings teh top writingspeed doesn't get to the max off your card (if the label is correct).
01-12-2014, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

I've read that for best performance you should use 95mb/s cards.

But..

I saw somewhere on the forum a test which showed that 45mb/s and 95mb/s cards (Sandisk Extreme and Pro) write files pretty much the same speed.
What interested me, is that CF (60mb/s) was twice as fast as Sandisk Pro (95mb/s). Pity, K3 can't use them.

I believe your cards will fit the K3 just fine.

P.S. found the vid
01-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A test of a Canon camrea and different cards do not tell anything about the Pentax K-3 and different cards. The K-3 has newer hardware and different software drivers.

Our tests of the K-3 indicated that K-3 users will benefit from the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 Mbs cards. It is definitely noticable in connection with burst shooting. If you shoot RAW+ there is a lot of data to be written - the faster cards will probably make a difference in that scenario, too.

As per our findings the K-3 writes to one card first, then to the second card - it doesn't write to the two cards in parallel.

01-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

5DM3 has slow SD card memory controller. It's apple and orange comparison.
01-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
It is definitely noticable in connection with burst shooting
But if you don't do burst shooting, it seems to only need a 45MB/sec card (not much difference between that and 90MB/sec cards w/o bursting)...I think that's he's asking...
01-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
Does anyone know optimum card speed for K-3? I have a 32 GB 40 mbs and a 32GB 30 mbs. I am thinking of using 40 mbs for raw and the 30mbs for JPEG in RAW + JPEG mode. Will these cards keep up with the K-3 capabilities, or should I step up a notch for optimum performance? Thanks anyone for comments.
The K-3 can handle today's fastest cards, including the 95 Mb/s ones. You'll notice a difference between a 45 and a 95 card whenever you shoot more than 1 photo in a row (i.e. burst or bracketing).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I suggest you buy cards that have less memory and more speed. With previous models, the camera couldn't use the latest SD card technology fully, but according to specifications and reviews, the K-3 can.
Also, buy a reputable brand like Sandisk. Class 10 cards from different brands have different real world speeds, regardless of what the labels say.
Avoid odd online stores, since it has happened before that someone bought cards on ebays and got lower quality knockoffs.
01-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for info. I feel much more informed than I was this morning. The card I thought was a 40 is a 45 (Sandisk). I have been using it for JPEG only. Have not shot anything in RAW yet. Come to think of it, I haven't even shot in burst mode yet! I guess I should find out what 8 FPS feels like and test this card. I think at this point I will return the unopened 30 MBS card and go for a 95 MBS card, and put it in the RAW slot and leave the 45 in for JPEG. Does this sound like the most logical configuration? I doubt I'll be shooting more than an occasional burst.
01-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
Banned

Thanks to everyone for info. I feel much more informed than I was this morning. The card I thought was a 40 is a 45 (Sandisk). I have been using it for JPEG only. Have not shot anything in RAW yet. Come to think of it, I haven't even shot in burst mode yet! I guess I should find out what 8 FPS feels like and test this card. I think at this point I will return the unopened 30 MBS card and go for a 95 MBS card, and put it in the RAW slot and leave the 45 in for JPEG. Does this sound like the most logical configuration? I doubt I'll be shooting more than an occasional burst.
Then you won't missing on the seconds you have to wait over the coming years. The fast cards are for sports and wildlife when you want to run true the 200k lifecycle off the shutter as fast as possible. You could also invest in the FluCard that offers you the remote-option to controll your camera with smartphone.
01-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think at this point I will return the unopened 30 MBS card and go for a 95 MBS card, and put it in the RAW slot and leave the 45 in for JPEG. Does this sound like the most logical configuration?

Consider reducing the size of your JPG images going into slot 2. As you propose, I save RAW (DNG) images in slot 1 and JPG in slot 2. My JPG spec is 14MB ***, Natural color with Sharpen set to Fine +1 and NR=Off up to 3200 ISO, then Low for 3200+. Seems to work great.

Cheers... M