Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interested in what you think of the files after you get into post (whether you think the bitrate is fast enough, whether you see moire, etc).
Nice jib...that must have been fun to put the k-3 on :-)

01-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Very well done - the entire package!!!!

The actual shooting is a small part of the overall product. The concept, layout, story boarding, script, locations, setup, shooting, editing, music, packaging it. Impressive!!!

Thanks!
That is awesome feedback!
01-15-2014, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Interested in what you think of the files after you get into post (whether you think the bitrate is fast enough, whether you see moire, etc).
Nice jib...that must have been fun to put the k-3 on :-)
Yep. I will definitely report back.

In that shot are a TON of Kessler products.
That is their Pocket Jib Traveler.

When you are a "one-woman-show" you need the smallest gear that you can get. Granted, I'm not small or delicate, but I do have my limits on what I can carry around.

01-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

That looks like some nice gear. Can't wait to get to a computer to watch your work.

I think there are 2 major issues with the K-3. No MJPEG/high bitrate h264 files (Sony's new XAVC format can go up to 600 Mbps, spec wise even 900, while the K-3 does something like 20-25 Mbps, and it does 10 bit h264, can do 12 bit eventually, while Pentax does 8 bit) and no mechanical SR during video. Only stills and liveview (so it would be possible, everything to enable it is still there!). That also means the frame is cropped. For your style of shooting that is probably irrelevant, but if you want to shoot handheld, without any rigs, that is a big deal.

Oh, I like that Oracle video. Nicely done, love the shift to color and how the man leans back and reveals the kid. Great idea. Few questions: What was the point/idea of the sudden shift in focus near the end (focusing away and then back), and also the small pan just before the fade out. Those things were a bit jarring to me. Just curious

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-16-2014 at 01:31 AM.
01-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
That looks like some nice gear. Can't wait to get to a computer to watch your work.

I think there are 2 major issues with the K-3. No MJPEG/high bitrate h264 files (Sony's new XAVC format can go up to 600 Mbps, spec wise even 900, while the K-3 does something like 20-25 Mbps, and it does 10 bit h264, can do 12 bit eventually, while Pentax does 8 bit) and no mechanical SR during video. Only stills and liveview (so it would be possible, everything to enable it is still there!). That also means the frame is cropped. For your style of shooting that is probably irrelevant, but if you want to shoot handheld, without any rigs, that is a big deal.

Oh, I like that Oracle video. Nicely done, love the shift to color and how the man leans back and reveals the kid. Great idea. Few questions: What was the point/idea of the sudden shift in focus near the end (focusing away and then back), and also the small pan just before the fade out. Those things were a bit jarring to me. Just curious
The focus shift - glad you noticed - was done intentionally. While I don't like "shaky cam" there are other little things that can be done to change the look. Sometimes adding in small "imperfections" to a shot makes it interesting to some, but not always to others. When I was shooting that clip, I noticed that Mazen would blink very hard, and when he blinked, he also did a little "twitch". I wanted the "camera" as in the audience, to also feel the same "imperfection".

As for the small pan at the end...I don't think that made it into the final version.

The demo you see was used as a proof of concept and I wanted to do more.

Unfortunately, the clip was used, and the actual presentation was inserted in. The presentation itself was HORRIBLE as it was placed in the middle and was a basic PowerPoint and technical demo, with TERRIBLE audio.

The end result was very well received, but I was not pleased with the presentation.
I now make sure that I am in control of the entire process, but there are limits to what you *can* control when you are shooting little projects for others.

The best I can do, is give people great shots, and what they do with it is sometimes out of my control.

I think giving away some control is part of the cinematographer's life.

01-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Ah, ok You're right, though I personally think it was quite jaring, a bit out of place perhaps, considering the general look of the whole thing. Then again seeing him blink that way may not have been so nice.

Oh tell me about it. I've made a proof of concept for a panorama of a showroom exterior, handheld, not even using my tripod, and it looked awful. Wanted to reshoot once it was confirmed (cause there was quite some distortion due to the distance...). They used that photo. Together with the bad crop where you can see that it was a panorama, and a bad one at it. Still trying to find a spot where I can reshoot it. They've paid for proper work, and I think it would look really good. Oh well.

Actually, shaky cam... I love it. When it is done well and makes sense. Just a bit, not over the top (though that can work too). Iron Man 2 made use of it quite a lot, and it works beautifully. Memento makes use of it a bit, quite subtle, at least in the colored scenes, the black and white ones seem quite static. In Valhalla Rising the filmmakers seem to have forgotten that there is anything like a tripod, steadicam, dolly... . Argo is also doing it a lot, and it works great, giving it tension and urgency when needed, calming down (but never fully stopping to shake) in less tense scenes.
01-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, ok You're right, though I personally think it was quite jaring, a bit out of place perhaps, considering the general look of the whole thing. Then again seeing him blink that way may not have been so nice.

Oh tell me about it. I've made a proof of concept for a panorama of a showroom exterior, handheld, not even using my tripod, and it looked awful. Wanted to reshoot once it was confirmed (cause there was quite some distortion due to the distance...). They used that photo. Together with the bad crop where you can see that it was a panorama, and a bad one at it. Still trying to find a spot where I can reshoot it. They've paid for proper work, and I think it would look really good. Oh well.

Actually, shaky cam... I love it. When it is done well and makes sense. Just a bit, not over the top (though that can work too). Iron Man 2 made use of it quite a lot, and it works beautifully. Memento makes use of it a bit, quite subtle, at least in the colored scenes, the black and white ones seem quite static. In Valhalla Rising the filmmakers seem to have forgotten that there is anything like a tripod, steadicam, dolly... . Argo is also doing it a lot, and it works great, giving it tension and urgency when needed, calming down (but never fully stopping to shake) in less tense scenes.
Yep. Now we are talking "artistic expression" and it's one of the great things in our business!

05-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The best I can do, is give people great shots, and what they do with it is sometimes out of my control.
I think that is called "The Cinematographers Curse".

Do you get much side to side twist on the Traveller Jib?
I'm looking for a decent unit, but a lot seem a little to flexible, or built for ENG cameras and weigh a ton by themselves.

The Oracle video is pretty cool. The only critical comments I could give, is that the opening is perhaps a bit too long, and one of the subtitles reads "easier and better",.. which I think would have more impact if it was "Better, and Easier."

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-24-2014 at 01:45 AM.
05-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Good work.
05-24-2014, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I think that is called "The Cinematographers Curse".

Do you get much side to side twist on the Traveller Jib?
I'm looking for a decent unit, but a lot seem a little to flexible, or built for ENG cameras and weigh a ton by themselves.

The Oracle video is pretty cool. The only critical comments I could give, is that the opening is perhaps a bit too long, and one of the subtitles reads "easier and better",.. which I think would have more impact if it was "Better, and Easier."
Wow, haven't been here in a while.

That Oracle proof of concept (and a few others) made me a multimedia production manager - with 5 people and more being added, and why I've been gone from here.

It's funny that with my studio, and people walking and asking advice of the new "Wonderkund" all they see is Pentax.

I try and explain to them it's not the camera it's the technique or aesthetic, but no matter.
People still think it's the camera, and in my case, people see Pentax and want to run out and buy one.

I'm torn too, because I have some really big purchasing decisions coming up (as in making official recommendations) and while I'm personally involved with Pentax, I'm not as much to Pentax/Ricoh.

As for the Jib, it's a tad flexy with a K3, grip, mic and head at the end of it.
Not too bad.
Since I shoot in office spaces and easy locations, I don't *really* use it for moving shots, but more of a high angle shot within an office/tight set.

Since I now have a production team, and I can designate people to run the cameras for me, I am going to start doing more jib shots where the camera is moving.

Thanks for the kind words, and as a working professional in the industry now, I don't have the time I used to play here.

---------- Post added 05-24-14 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Good work.
Thanks!

05-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #26

hmmm.. this is highly unusual and, perhaps, a bit offensive.
someone dares to praise the K-3, which, according to many, is quite likely the biggest failure in the history of dSLR ever!

I think, I'll report on this frivolity.

<sarcasm mode off>

well done, congrats!
05-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Thanks for the kind words, and as a working professional in the industry now, I don't have the time I used to play here.
Lucky Blighter!
I want the same, just with Cinematography in Australia.
And I too love the reactions when people realise I don't own Canon/Nikon.
05-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
someone dares to praise the K-3, which, according to many, is quite likely the biggest failure in the history of dSLR ever!

<sarcasm mode off>

well done, congrats!
Thanks! The K5 and K3 changed my life. The K3 came along just in time to take my career to the next level.

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Lucky Blighter!
I want the same, just with Cinematography in Australia.
And I too love the reactions when people realise I don't own Canon/Nikon.
06-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote

<sarcasm mode off>

well done, congrats!
Hahaha, it's a wonderful still camera, it's just IMHO a step back in terms of video. The K-5 was a better video camera than the K-3, the K-3 is a better still camera than the K-5. Other brands usually improve their cameras on the other hand.

@Lauren: Congrats! Panasonic GH4 in future?
06-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hahaha, it's a wonderful still camera, it's just IMHO a step back in terms of video. The K-5 was a better video camera than the K-3, the K-3 is a better still camera than the K-5. Other brands usually improve their cameras on the other hand.

@Lauren: Congrats! Panasonic GH4 in future?
I definitely liked the mJpeg/AVI of the K5.
There was something about the video from the K5 that was beautiful.
So I agree there.

However...

The K3 can record without overheating and having a dual card setup is wonderful.
I don't really miss the K5 for video because it was too scary when dealing with someone talking and wondering if the camera will get too hot.
The manual controls of the K3 are awesome too, so overall, the K3 slams the K5 in the video department.

On a given shoot, I have three K3 cameras running, with two K5 cameras in backup mode...so 5 cameras ready to go for anything I do.

I'm hoping for what comes next from Pentax.

As my operations are growing, I will have to start buying/recommending cameras for others in the company.
I think there might me something like 10-15 K3 kits that I might be purchasing if I went the Pentax route.

Again, it's hard for me to recommend Pentax aside from personal use when some of the other professional groups in the company are Canikon.