Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Not bad. But I wonder if it really makes sense going the Pentax route. I'd buy a OM-D E-M1 or a GH4 in a heartbeat if video is important and I didn't already have Pentax.

I love being able to shoot handheld without any other gear, and a K-3 just wouldn't do it. But you're shooting differently, with jibs, sliders etc. I guess, so I doubt you care too much about stabilisation. Overheating... yes, annoying, but apart from a couple of hot pixels (hopefully someone develops something to remove those in post... I guess I could render it out to stills and let Lightroom remove the hot pixels?) I have never had a problem with overheating. And if there is enough light I don't even see hot pixels.

06-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #32
CDW
Site Supporter

As much as I love my K3 and 645D for stills (landscapes, nature), I bit the bullet and bought a GH4, a 14-42 mm kit lens and an Olympus (Panasonic compatible) 9-18mm WA lens, along with a K3 to m4/3 lens adapter.

What numerous other reviewers and sites have said about the GH4 video is true. It's in another league with IQ and flexibility beyond anything Pentax, Nikon or Canon offer in a DSLR or mirror-less design. The 4K video down converted to 1080P is a knockout, looking far better than anything I've ever coaxed out my previous Canon 5D2 or my Pentaxes. And FWIW, the Camera Store in Canada just did a AF comparison test and it's obvious the GH4 is far ahead of Pentax in this area, as well. Oh well.

GH4 Video Primer

Last edited by CDW; 06-01-2014 at 07:33 PM.
06-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
As much as I love my K3 and 645D for stills (landscapes, nature), I bit the bullet and bought a GH4, a 14-42 mm kit lens and an Olympus (Panasonic compatible) 9-18mm WA lens, along with a K3 to m4/3 lens adapter.

What numerous other reviewers and sites have said about the GH4 video is true. It's in another league with IQ and flexibility beyond anything Pentax, Nikon or Canon offer in a DSLR or mirror-less design. The 4K video down converted to 1080P is a knockout, looking far better than anything I've ever coaxed out my previous Canon 5D2 or my Pentaxes. And FWIW, the Camera Store in Canada just did a AF comparison test and it's obvious the GH4 is far ahead of Pentax in this area, as well. Oh well.

GH4 Video Primer

The Great Mirrorless Camera Autofocus Shootout! (GH4, X-T1, A6000, E-M1) - YouTube
I've heard great things about the GH4...not sure though given the total package.
06-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Yes, the GH4 certainly looks the go for a lot of things, watching all the sample footage with great interest, and a mate has one on order already.

Personally, I'm waiting to see more footage from the Aja Cion and Kinefinity KiniMini4K until I decide which camera to have in my future.

To keep using my classic lenses, I can use a PK-EF ring for any camera with EF mount, or, wait for Metabones to make a K-mount lens speedbooster if I want to use the MFT mount cameras like the GH4.

There are other cameras I'm looking at for the future, but right now, a K3 for the near future, and then the KiniMini4K are the front runners.

06-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that's nice Lauren! While I doubt Larry Ellison really *needs* any more money, I'm glad he's helping you out with a good career boost

Jim (just another *racle user...)
06-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Wow, that's nice Lauren! While I doubt Larry Ellison really *needs* any more money, I'm glad he's helping you out with a good career boost

Jim (just another *racle user...)
Yep. Yep, and you "would not believe me" yep.