Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO Optics Pro 9.1.2 out -- Supports K-3 DNG

Downloading is a bit slow as all the users got the upgrade notices and must be downloading...

What's new in DxO Optics Pro 9 | www.dxo.com

When you update in the app, it specifically says it supports the K-3 DNG format.

01-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Installed and it in fact reads the files now. Good work!
01-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Installed and it in fact reads the files now. Good work!
The DNG issue was easily worked around by shooting RAW in PEF format. As such, I considered it a 'non'.

Did they do anything to address the drag on the host computer that results from DxO's need to install Windows Net Framework 4.5?

The deal breaker for me after I installed DxO was the overhead created by Net Framework 4.5. It slowed EVERY process (even non-DxO related) on my otherwise very nimble and capable dedicated 64-bit graphics desktop to an unbearable crawl. Un-installing DxO AND Net Framework returned everything to normal; that is, warp-speed.

I want DxO to succeed. I'm looking forward to a time when they have the Net Framework slow-down issue resolved. Until then, for me it's LR 5.3, and wait 'n see...

Cheers...
01-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
The DNG issue was easily worked around by shooting RAW in PEF format. As such, I considered it a 'non'.

Did they do anything to address the drag on the host computer that results from DxO's need to install Windows Net Framework 4.5?

The deal breaker for me after I installed DxO was the overhead created by Net Framework 4.5. It slowed EVERY process (even non-DxO related) on my otherwise very nimble and capable dedicated 64-bit graphics desktop to an unbearable crawl. Un-installing DxO AND Net Framework returned everything to normal; that is, warp-speed.

I want DxO to succeed. I'm looking forward to a time when they have the Net Framework slow-down issue resolved. Until then, for me it's LR 5.3, and wait 'n see...

Cheers...
Yes, you could shoot PEF instead of DNG as a workaround... but that is a step backwards and extra work or files when processing (sidecars, etc.) So it was an issue for those of use who use the more versatile DNG format. They've fixed it and it's very good news.

As for the .Net Framework, I'm not sure what you mean. Not about the framework, but the slowdown. Perhaps my laptop computer is a powerhouse, but I program with Visual Studio regularly and the .NET Framework has caused my machine no issues at all. Perhaps an incompatibility with your particular system or drivers or configuration is the issue. Not saying it is, but it's not a "known issue" that .NET 4.5 slows down everything it touches.

If DxO is programmed with a modern language like C++ or C# which uses .NET, then it's not a "problem" at all and not going to go away in the future. There would a larger slowdown for sure if the Java framework were required. There would be much slower development if they had to go to old school languages without the managed features .NET provides.

01-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just so everyone is clear on the subject, this was only an issue for pc's not the Mac version.

David