Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Shooting at a lower resolution

When you shoot the K-3 at a lower resolution (eg: M- 14MP) does the camera only use that portion of the sensor, or does it take the full 24MP data and reduce it in size?

01-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera always captures the full RAW data, then either saves the RAW or creates a jpeg depending on settings. So a lower resolution jpeg is downsized from the full RAW file.
01-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by scotty707 Quote
When you shoot the K-3 at a lower resolution (eg: M- 14MP) does the camera only use that portion of the sensor, or does it take the full 24MP data and reduce it in size?
It's a scaled image- but for the best results I recommend always shooting at full resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I recommend always shooting at full resolution.
Hi Adam, do you reckon the built-in camera algorithm might not be the best at downscaling photos? Do you or anybody else have experience in comparing in-camera downscaling or post-process downscaling (say in Lightroom)? Thanks!

10-22-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's a scaled image- but for the best results I recommend always shooting at full resolution.
I've been shooting at 24 with lowest quality for posting on websites.
10-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Hi Adam, do you reckon the built-in camera algorithm might not be the best at downscaling photos? Do you or anybody else have experience in comparing in-camera downscaling or post-process downscaling (say in Lightroom)? Thanks!
I think the camera does a fine job overall, but as with many things in image processing, there is no "optimal" algorithm that's the best for every scenario. Most users will probably be satisfied with what they see, but if you want full control, shoot at full resolution. You won't use that much more disk space, anyway.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the camera does a fine job overall, but as with many things in image processing, there is no "optimal" algorithm that's the best for every scenario. Most users will probably be satisfied with what they see, but if you want full control, shoot at full resolution. You won't use that much more disk space, anyway.
A related question... if you intend to downsize an image, do you get a better result starting with the RAW file than if you downsize the corresponding full-size JPEG?

10-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
A related question... if you intend to downsize an image, do you get a better result starting with the RAW file than if you downsize the corresponding full-size JPEG?
Yes

You will also be able to crop better. JPEG tosses out thing and makes assumption. With processing RAW to JPEG, you get to choose what you want to keep.

There was a site that had a comparison of the same photo with Raw and JPEG. I will see if I can find it. He showed how he was able to recover detail lost in the in camera JPEG. He had to do some PP to bring the detail out of the shadows.
10-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Potentially, yes. Starting in RAW allows for much more flexibility in post-processing.

Steve
10-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've shot the majority of my casual family shooting as 6M 3* JPEGs for years. I haven't noticed any obvious scaling artifacts from the camera. I wouldn't know what to look for, now that I think about it.

I can recognise compression artifacts of course, and those are clearly visible at 1* and to a slight degree on 2* at 6M, less at higher resolutions.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I should know this but don't: what output format is the default JPEG rendering straight out of camera is being prepared for. Screen or print?
10-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

@scotty707, the K-3 always captures the full 24mp of the sensor, then scales down the saved image when your jpeg settings are less than 24mp.

Why are you saving images at a lower resolution in-camera? Benefits of low resolution include less storage space needed and faster burst mode performance, but it limits your ability to crop or to do large prints later.

I generally use raw DNG format for maximum processing flexibility. If I know I'll need a day's photos as low resolution JPGs, I'll switch to DNG+JPG. That gives me easy low res images while retaining a full res copy if I want to process some images. DNG+JPG fills the burst mode buffer quickly so is not so good for high speed action.