Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Live View time limit

I'm on a photo workshop and have been using live view extensively as that is what the instructors want us to use so they can see our composition. today the LCD went black and none of the buttons worked. Turning on and off didn't work, as did pulling the battery or even changing to a fresh battery. Over time the functions did return. I am thinking the camera shut down on thermal overload. Does anyone know what the time limit is for the K3? I know my K5 was very short. If this is indeed the problem the K3 is much longer. At one point the camera worked with the viewfinder . The rear LCD screen nor Live view worked but it did focus, record the picture and the top LCD screen worked. So I am thinking I hit the thermal overload.

01-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you in Australia or something? I think the overheating thing can only happen when its pretty warm, but live view certainly adds to the load. I think the camera also has a little warning that it flashes, an icon that looks like a thermometer.

Another thing is, it is weird that a workshop would want you to use live view, especially with a top tier DSLR like that. Live view is for P&S and mirrorless cameras. A nice DSLR with a big OVF.. I would only use the liveview when I needed the focus peaking or video.
01-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Page 103 of the PDF manual
QuoteQuote:
•Do not subject the camera to high temperatures or high humidity. Do not
leave the camera in a vehicle, as the temperature can get very high.
•Do not subject the camera to strong vibrations, shocks, or pressure.
Use a cushion to protect the camera from vibrations of motorcycles,
automobiles, or ships.
•The temperature range for camera use is -10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F).
•The monitor may appear black at high temperatures, but will return
to normal at normal temperatures.
Instructors ought to know better...!
01-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
Would you believe Iceland. Although it's 40 degrees F and wet. It's more my fault for leaving it in Live View when not needed but when you're down on your knees and waiting for the surf to wash over an Ice flow which is only a foot away, it's difficult to use the viewfinder without laying down and then you get completely washed over with the surf rather than just your lower leg. If the rear LCD goes black and then returns then it's the camera getting too hot.

01-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
It wasn't caused by Live View, but by the shutter button being stuck part way down. Happened again today but the camera had been off since yesterday. If I shook the camera the display would come on and go off like there was an intermittent but then I noticed all I had to do was wiggle the on/off switch slightly and it would do the same. Then the shutter button popped free and it worked fine. So probably a bit of sand or ash and water between the button and the casing as I have been shooting in the area along then Iceland coast which got hit hard from the volcanic eruption of 2011. There was another tread on the shutter button sticking which I remember reading.