Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-3 (and K-5) usually last longer than my fingers once it gets below 0 (F). But I usually prefer to eventually come home and not stay out over night in those kinds of temps if I can help it.
This was at -17 F (-27 C).

Last edited by mattb123; 01-22-2014 at 02:41 PM.
01-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Very good shot of sun dogs. What lens did you use?
01-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Back in the old days (say 1960s), it was a big deal to have a particular camera chosen for a major expedition to the Himalayas or polar regions. Even then the gear was fully stripped and winterized before going into the field. When National Geographic photographer Barry Bishop was preparing for the U.S. Everest expedition in 1963, the refit on the two Nikon Fs was done at the Nikon factory in Japan. One of the cameras fell from Bishops pack and tumbled down the mountain into oblivion. The surviving camera performed well despite the extreme conditions. Mr. Bishop, however, lost all of his toes and the tips of his little fingers to frostbite.

Steve
What a waste. i hope the magazine compensated him well.
01-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Wow. Very good shot of sun dogs. What lens did you use?
Thanks! It was my favorite lens, the SMC DA 15mm f/4 Limited. The sunburst should give it away to anyone familiar with this lens.

01-22-2014, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
We've been getting a lot of -16 C (3 F) and lower here lately. In fact that's the exact temp as I'm writing. I'm glad my camera can take it. My body handles it well enough. Unfortunately, my fingers have really started to complain. If any one has any suggestions for thin but warm gloves that make manipulating the camera easy, let me know.
"Thin but warm" I don't think exsists. But in cold weather I use silk glove liners under my regular cold weather gloves. They are certainly thin enough to operate all the buttons on my K-5 and provide some protection from the cold. I take off my regular gloves, get the shot and then put the regular gloves back on over the silk liners. I frost bit my hands in the early 70's and they are very sensitive to the cold, this is the only solution I've found. But under no stretch would I call the silk liners "warm".

NaCl(but shooting without them would be impossible)H2O
01-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Bouldernordicsport.com sells the Yoko WS MF270 glove for $50. It was recommended to me by an airport passenger.
01-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #22

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, some kind of mitten to put over the gloves or hand warmer is essential. I've rarely found any glove to be warm enough. I decided to go out and look at some gloves after writing the post. I discovered several brands designed to be able to operate smart phones. I brought my camera along to see how well I could manipulate the dials and buttons and found one pair that worked very nicely made by Marmot $65. I've yet to try them on a cold wether shoot; I'll keep the Yokos bookmarked. Seems if you want both warmth and dexterity you're going to pay!

Last edited by sundr; 01-23-2014 at 06:25 PM.
01-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #23

Tanks for the replies. Indeed, some kind of mitten to put over the gloves or hand warmer is essential. I've rarely found any glove to be warm enough. I decided to go out and look at some gloves after writing the post. I discovered several brands designed to be able to operate smart phones. I brought my camera along to see how well I could manipulate the dials and buttons and found one pair that worked very nicely made by Marmot $65. I've yet to try them on a cold wether shoot; I'll keep the Yokos bookmarked. Seems if you want both warmth and dexterity you're going to pay!
I wear a similar type glove as a base, and they are fairly warm. I'm to the SE of you and just came inside after spending half an hour with the dog wearing those gloves and am fine. It is -15 F with real feel of -40 F. If I'm out much longer than that I wear what we used to call glomitts over them. Looks like everyone is now calling them convertible gloves instead of glomitts, mine are made by Manzella but no longer in production. They are finger less gloves with a mitten over the top that peels back when required.

Can't tell you how they work for use with the camera my K-3 and 3 WR lenses are all due to arrive tomorrow. I wanted something to carry on the trout streams fly fishing and in the woods grouse hunting and camping in the Arrowhead which for me is most of Oct. and Nov. In 3 weeks I will be in the Arrowhead for a week on the edge of the BWCA snowshoeing, dog sledding and ice fishing. I will have the K-3 with me the whole time in hopes of a decent shot at wildlife. That area is usually the coldest spot in CONUS this time of year, leaving the tent and wood stove behind and renting a cabin this trip. Being new to this will not hold my breath on final results however and have realistic expectations. I spent months researching and in the end decided on Pentax because of cold weather and rough use reliability that they have. Time will tell and I will certainly be giving it a work out.
01-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Cold Iron Quote
I wear a similar type glove as a base, and they are fairly warm. I'm to the SE of you and just came inside after spending half an hour with the dog wearing those gloves and am fine. It is -15 F with real feel of -40 F. If I'm out much longer than that I wear what we used to call glomitts over them. Looks like everyone is now calling them convertible gloves instead of glomitts, mine are made by Manzella but no longer in production. They are finger less gloves with a mitten over the top that peels back when required.

Can't tell you how they work for use with the camera my K-3 and 3 WR lenses are all due to arrive tomorrow. I wanted something to carry on the trout streams fly fishing and in the woods grouse hunting and camping in the Arrowhead which for me is most of Oct. and Nov. In 3 weeks I will be in the Arrowhead for a week on the edge of the BWCA snowshoeing, dog sledding and ice fishing. I will have the K-3 with me the whole time in hopes of a decent shot at wildlife. That area is usually the coldest spot in CONUS this time of year, leaving the tent and wood stove behind and renting a cabin this trip. Being new to this will not hold my breath on final results however and have realistic expectations. I spent months researching and in the end decided on Pentax because of cold weather and rough use reliability that they have. Time will tell and I will certainly be giving it a work out.
So far I've found manipulating the buttons and dials fairly easy with these gloves. Sounds like all I need is a larger pair of "glomitts" and I'm set.
You'll love the K3. That trip up North sounds fantastic. I'm taking some time off myself in a few weeks and hope to go up the the North Shore and Duluth for a few days, and may be some day trips to SE MN.
01-24-2014, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When it's really cold I wear a pair of thin "Texting Gloves" under some big Thinsulate mittens (made by Pow). I'll pull the mitts off or just one to shoot and then try and get them back on ASAP. The metal bodies of these cameras can just suck the warmth out of my hands at those temps!
02-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #26

So far I've found manipulating the buttons and dials fairly easy with these gloves. Sounds like all I need is a larger pair of "glomitts" and I'm set.
You'll love the K3. That trip up North sounds fantastic. I'm taking some time off myself in a few weeks and hope to go up the the North Shore and Duluth for a few days, and may be some day trips to SE MN.
You are correct, I have had the K3 for 7 days now and love it! It is my first DSLR and while most on here recommend that it is not for a beginner I feel it was a great choice for me. In the 70's I picked up an AE-1 in Japan and 4 lenses, wow have things changed in the camera world since then

A lot to learn yet is an understatement. This 10 point was looking at me in amazement not because it was -17 F but because I turned the sound down to low instead of off, which is where it now is at.

One of the more difficult things for me is to get a sharp focus in the woods with all the branches and trees, and my eyes just aren't as good as they used to be. Changing to center focus and fine tuning from what the lens locks on to and switching to the target is an art in itself. Still learning but getting closer every day.

Picked up extra batteries to carry under my coat and will get the battery grip sooner than later so I don't have to open the camera in the elements. My only problem in below zero F so far is the LCD screen starts to get sluggish and slow after enough time in the cold. That is the same problem that my hand held GPS LCD screen has in the cold so I rubber band a chemical heat hand warmer to it with a rubber band. I picked up a think tank holster and harness to wear the K3 on my chest and it works well. I can still snowshoe with it on and it doesn't get in the way although it is large. The case is padded and the camera sits lens down and the back of the body facing up at me. I was wondering if it would be safe to put a chemical heat hand warmer on top of it in the case to keep the lcd screen and camera body warm? Last thing I want to do is cause any damage, I would think it should be safe to do so though does any know if this would work?
02-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cold Iron Quote
One of the more difficult things for me is to get a sharp focus in the woods with all the branches and trees, and my eyes just aren't as good as they used to be
You might want to try using Focus Peaking in LiveView instead. It basically highlights what it thinks is in focus. You have to keep your shutter speed up though...I'm not sure if that softness is caused by a slowish shutter.
02-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you have bushes and branches it is usually good to use spot focus. My K3 can pick a sparrow out of a thorn bush if I am careful. By the way, one of the few things I miss about northern winters is being deep in the woods on a cold day and seeing deer nearby in the snow. Thanks for the pics.
02-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #29

Beautiful buck! Thats the cure for cabin fever Ditto on the use of spot focus in dealing with the branches. To complicate matters, snow can be confusing to the camera's light meter. Usually about +1 on exposure compensation helps to keep everything from turning gray. This can be done in post. With a little white balance you can make his colors stand out a little more. If you haven't gotten it already, Bryan Peterson's [I]Understanding Exposure[I] (it's highly recommended all over the forum) has a lot of tips for dealing with tricky exposure situations like this.
02-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #30

Didn't really mean to hijack the thread, but want to say thanks! And what great advise. Yes I do have Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition and also LR 5 by Scott Kelby. Not sure about which PP I'll end up with but looking at LR. I'm shooting Raw + just in case but haven't opened RAW files yet except to look at in IrfanView. Spent much of yesterday reading up on EC sundr, thanks! In 8 days I leave for a week on Gunflint Lake. 111 miles past Duluth make a left up the Gunflint trail and go almost to the end. Half the lake is in Canada and the other half US. The trip wasn't about taking pictures of moose, wolf and lynx but it certainly is starting to look that way now