Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Going back to the original topic, yes, I prefer faster releases of newer products. I don't like to wait too long for newer features.
There's this thumb rule of manufacturing that goes like this: Pick 2 of the 3: Faster, High Quality, Low Cost

You can pick Faster and Low Cost but you will get lower quality. That too often has been the case in the camera world. Product testing doesn't seem to be done much at the mfr anymore, but after the cameras reach the customer.

A lot of us complained about how long the K3 took to get on the market - but wow, the overall quality and new features - top notch. Nikon is sort of the "gold" standard for me, so rather than pick out some example from Pentax, I'll pick on Nikon slightly. The D600 had that issue of oil spatter/dust that reportedly came off the shutter and required frequent cleaning of the sensor. This is the worst of all problems for any mfr to have since its not a problem a firmware update can fix, or even a visit to the repair center. Long term solution: Nikon quickly came out with a D610 with a different shutter. If they had spent more time field testing the camera, they could have delayed issuing the model and chosen a different shutter. Then the D800 also had a misaligned left focus sensor that required a repair center visit to fix, i think.

Early Pentax K5 actually had a oil problem between the outer glass and the sensor that could not be fixed by cleaning or by firmware. It required an expensive repair (by Pentax) or replacement, but in any case, they warranteed any repairs for this problem. But if they had caught it during field testing - far cheaper to have delayed early shipment of the K5, I think. Need i also mention the K5 lens release button that fell off for some owners.

(Note: there seem to be several owners of all these cameras who did not suffer these issues. I bought my K5 mid-camera life, for example, and did not have a lens button fall off or sensor oil spatter. i'm sure there are several D600 and D800 owners who did not have these problems as well) The point is: better quality testing by the mfr can identify many problems prior to sales, but it delays release of models to the customers)

For all these cameras, Its frustrating for the owners to loose shooting time to deal with issues that should have been fixed during early model testing by the mfr. But mfrs know that if they can get a new feature out faster to the customer, they will reap more sales over their competitors. In many cases, problems can be fixed by firmware changes or shipments to repair centers. (I haven't picked on Canon or Sony or ..... because i know less about these other mfr)

I'm just delighted with the K3, that no major issues seem to have popped up. Ricoh - you have my thanks!!!

Manufacturers deserve some sympathy - its a hard cold marketplace out there. Customers want all 3: faster delivery, highest quality and low cost.

With the camera sales bubble collapsing, it'll be interesting to see where manufacturers choose to cut costs.

02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #32
Site Supporter

With the current & ever increasing contraction in the camera market, I think going forward, manufacturers will need to be very innovative to get consumers to buy their newest model. They must have a compelling reason to replace their gear. Or to buy into a high level ILC ecosystem. And I believe that campaigns like Canon's for their small SLR win in this kind of market. You get the attention of the parent whose kid is on the field or in the gym. And they want *good* pictures. Your pros will still buy your $10k larger format gear. They need it for their revenue producing photography. You don't have to convince them WHY they need a larger format digital. You have to sell them on YOURS. Average consumers need a different marketing tactic.
11-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #33
Inactive Account

I'm sure enjoying mine! The new features give unlimited creativity options, I'm not worried about the next upgrade, I'm having fun exploring all these COOL FEATURES!
11-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 is a huge upgrade from the K-7. It is a significant, but not so huge, upgrade from the K7.

11-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #35
Inactive Account

I can't imagine ever wanting an 'upgrade' from the K3, unless I decide to step into the Pentax 645Z large format! GO RICOH!