Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 in Melbourne???

Anyone on Oz know of a Melbourne shop with the K3 in stock?

I'm finding it harder and harder to find retailers stocking Pentax gear, and have pretty much given up on finding a store with a demo unit in stock.
I usually buy my kit from Vanbar out in Fitzroy, and have gotten great service there, but they tell me they have had no orders for a K3,... which may be due to their website still listing K-01, K30, but no K3.

Brand C, Brand N, Brand S cameras, flippin' everywhere. But finding the one I want to spend money on available to see in the metal? No chance so far.

01-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

I'm finding it harder and harder to find retailers stocking Pentax gear, and have pretty much given up on finding a store with a demo unit in stock.
I usually buy my kit from Vanbar out in Fitzroy, and have gotten great service there, but they tell me they have had no orders for a K3,... which may be due to their website still listing K-01, K30, but no K3.

Brand C, Brand N, Brand S cameras, flippin' everywhere. But finding the one I want to spend money on available to see in the metal? No chance so far.
Not sure how their prices compare, but Digital Camera Warehouse in Northcote have them listed on their website. Also i have found them a bit funny when it comes to trying out a working unit.
Good luck.
Pentax K3 Digital SLR Camera | Digital Camera Warehouse
01-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital direct now has a shop in Elizabeth St In Melbourne. They launched the K3 with the distributor in Sydney. Look up digital direct online for the phone number.

Before you buy pentax.com,au has brought the price down and Digital Direct and Micheal's up the road will match the price.

if all else fails call CR Kennedy the distributor, they are always helpful.

personally I have had much better service from Digital Direct than some of the other larger mobs.
01-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
if all else fails call CR Kennedy the distributor, they are always helpful.
For reference, CR Kennedy are now selling direct to the public, so they will likely have them in stock.
Not 100% if they have a demo model though.

01-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm finding it harder and harder to find retailers stocking Pentax gear...
I don't know what you are complaining about. I live in rural NSW, and yet can find Pentax gear (including the K-3) in-store in multiple locations within about 1 hours drive.

Have you checked out the retailers here?:

Where to buy | www.pentax.com.au
01-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

rawr wins
I'm in rural FNQ, and here if you ask about PENTAX they think you're talking about a handwriting implement that the government are collecting tax on.

ALL my purchases have to be made online, sight-unseen.
01-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
rawr wins
Maybe I am just lucky - I have a CameraHouse in a nearby small town that stocks Pentax, and am within range of Brisbane, where DCW and DigiDirect and a few others that I have bought from also stock Pentax.

01-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rawr : Yeah, have, that's whats frustrating - mobs listed as retailers, and you go in to stores and the salespeople have never heard of it, but "Would you like to see our top of the range Canon,..."

F.F.S,..!

Thanks Darnda & Bob, that gives me a couple to check out, might see if Vanbar can match the price, then use the repeat offender, er, customer, discount card.
I'd take it with a kit lens, but want a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 to go with.
01-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rex, not sure which part of Melb you are in, but give Kirks in Ringwood a try. I know Paul was stocking hem, but not sure if he sold out too. I bought mine directly from CRK. If anyone has one, surely they will.
01-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd take it with a kit lens, but want a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 to go with.

This sigma lens should be brilliant. Would like your feedback as it's on my wish list. You obviously have good taste.

I'm glad you have had excellent service from vanbar. For the record I found I can get items quicker from New York without any issues.
01-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #11

I got mine from online from CR Kennedy at probably a better price than I could have got at a local dealer here in Adelaide.
01-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wiz : Melton - every shop worth looking at is East of here.

Bob : B&H deliver quick hey?

I'm thinking that paired with a Tascam audi recorder and an Atomos SSD based recorder, the K3 will be spot on for most of what I do.
Dunno if the K-01 is going to like being relegated to 'B-Cam'.
01-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm thinking that paired with a Tascam audi recorder and an Atomos SSD based recorder, the K3 will be spot on for most of what I do.
PicDicus rex What do you use for a microphone?

I never order cameras from overseas or any equipment that I want to follow up on warranty.
01-30-2014, 02:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Kirks in Ringwood have a demo on the shelf. I had a play with it a few days back. Take a memory card with you if you want to keep pictures for evaluation.

Last edited by saladin; 01-30-2014 at 02:45 AM.
01-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
Forum Member

My K-3 came from Camera Lane in town. They had just taken delivery of two that day. (Just before Christmas.)