Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #16

now i feel like i am 100% losing my mind. could swear i don't have either the green or the AF button on mine. is that even possible?

it's at home otherwise I would check

01-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
now i feel like i am 100% losing my mind. could swear i don't have either the green or the AF button on mine. is that even possible?

it's at home otherwise I would check
May I ask if it is a 3rd party grip or made by Pentax?
01-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #18

pentax. i've got a gnawing feeling that maybe both my eyes and my thumbs don't work so well. I had the k-3 out all afternoon and did not once see those buttons. I better not be be going senile before i hit 30.

Last edited by Bonobo; 01-31-2014 at 09:24 AM.
01-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #19

wife confirms that I am, in fact, senile at an early age and do have those buttons on my grip. Please Disregard my question.

01-31-2014, 12:08 PM   #20
jup

As you can see from that picture, it's actually at different spot then on the body and for me it doesn't feel as natural. So maybe that's why you missed it. But yep, it's there. Probably just a matter of habit...
01-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #21

wife confirms that I am, in fact, senile at an early age and do have those buttons on my grip. Please Disregard my question.
Glad to know your doubts cleared
I guess it takes time to get to know a new gear
Happy shooting!
02-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
wife confirms that I am, in fact, senile at an early age and do have those buttons on my grip.

*chuckles*

Turns out the biggest issue in switching to back-button focus is me. I keep pushing the shutter button half-way down and nothing happens. Damn, it's hard to retrain 30 years of muscle memory. :-)

02-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by bats Quote
*chuckles*

Turns out the biggest issue in switching to back-button focus is me. I keep pushing the shutter button half-way down and nothing happens. Damn, it's hard to retrain 30 years of muscle memory. :-)
Nothing happens? Actually, with Pentax, half press does lot of things. It just does not focus with AF2. Besides other things it primes shake reduction. If you leave the camera alone for a while the shake reduction will turn off. Half-press shutter and wait until SR symbol appears in viewfinder if you want to have stabilization. Here you have one reason to half-press shutter anyway!

AF button does prime SR too btw.
02-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Excellent point, jup!
02-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #25

Problem I have is I can't set it to AF2. Grayed out. At least in green mode. But if I change mode to U1 I can set it to AF2, but it won't hold in other modes. And I positively hate the shutter button auto AF.
Any other suggestions?
02-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyoa1 Quote
At least in green mode.
In green mode, everything is grayed out. It is intended for noobs, not that being a noob is a bad thing, of course.

Steve
02-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #27

Never had the problem with a k10 or k20. Setting it was universal. And if I do set it in another mode it doesn't hold. Jumps back to af1. Quite annoying. I don't know how many shots it's destroyed on me. Just want to disable it permanently. After quite a few years my finger is on the shutter button AND the AF button. For me it's too easy to ruin a shot with the shutter trying to focus for me.
02-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garyoa1 Quote
Problem I have is I can't set it to AF2. Grayed out. At least in green mode. But if I change mode to U1 I can set it to AF2, but it won't hold in other modes. And I positively hate the shutter button auto AF.
Any other suggestions?
I think that if you set it in any of the modes it will stick in that mode. Check the settings in 4 Memory which set which settings to save. I have all but Digital Filter and HDR Capture set and the AF button settings are saved.

Some settings are not carried across Modes, ie. Av mode settings or X mode settings are specific to that mode. I don't remember if the AF button is like that, but it may be. Something I keep in the back of my mind is that the K3 does exactly what I tell it to do. Sometimes what it does is unexpected as a result.
02-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #29

Didn't stick for me in U1. But generally when I'm walking around I keep it on green. A quick shot could be lost if you have to play with settings. To me, not being able to disable anything is kinda dumb. We all have our own way of shooting. Even if you have some time, you take a shot and it's ruined when you realize a leaf or bird or whatever blew by and the focus locked on that instead of what you want focused. So right now, this camera gets a HUGE thumbs down from me.
02-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #30
Pentaxian

U1 requires saving in the menus. The user 123 modes are for saving a specific set of settings, and you have to manually save them. The other modes such as av, tav, x etc. will save the settings if you have the memory boxes checked.