Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 questions

hey so as someone who has used pentax ever since they picked up a camera and has seen all the recent buzz about it, im kind of curious about this puppy, Ive used a K20 for the last year or so and have become kind of frustrated by its limitations. I had some things i was wondering about the k3..

1) How is the camera in terms of noise? Not in terms of high iso but in just general use. The K20d is a pretty noisy camera, from the shutter to the autofocus, everything feels pretty antiquated compared to newer cameras ive seen in my class. A queiter camera just feels so much more refined and this is something that im wondering if pentax has stepped up with the k3.

2) The K20d is pretty damn limited when it comes to low light shooting by today's standards. I tend to not even go up to 800 because of the amount of noise in the pictures. Taking pictures in low light (especially of things that arent perfectly still) is pretty damn near impossible. Even with an f1.4 lens, you stlll end up with shutter speeds of like 1 sec which results in pretty bleary images. So how does the k3 do in this area?

3) The K20d feels sluggish compared to other, more recent cameras ive got my hands on. Everything from reviewing pictures to deleting them seems slow. Clearing the buffer on this camera takes a freaking etternitty. So, how is the K3 in terms of general performance?

I see that there is no video af. Kind of game killer for me, but im nonetheless curious to see how far pentax has come.

01-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) very quiet operation, the canikon equivalents are like freight trains in comparison. The K-5 shutter is even quieter though.

2.) noise is very well. controled and cleans up easily. Initially I felt K-5 had less noise but K-3 I now feel is similar and easy to clean up if present. The K-7 (I think it was similar to K-20) I used to own had unacceptable shadow noise and high ISO was ugly

3.) it is the fastest performing Pentax I have ever used, but use a fast card to leverage its potential
01-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I see that there is no video af. Kind of game killer for me, but im nonetheless curious to see how far pentax has come.
Thing is, dslrs which can shoot video are exciting and useful because you can use old manual lenses for all kinds of cinematic results.
Plus the fact that AF lenses were designed for stills shooting, not designed for video AF.
Really, if you want good AF during video, stick with a camcorder which is designed for the purpose of constant AF.
01-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been happy with my K20d for five years, waiting for a really big flagship improvement. I've only had my K3 for four days, but I can say that it is the big upgrade I was waiting for. All three of your criticisms of the K20d are answered by the K3. I could feel the snappier performance with the first shot.

I don't intend to shoot video with the K3; I have a decent DVR. Oops, meant to say digital HD camcorder.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the K3.

Last edited by Skewed; 02-01-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Correction
01-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 is night and day versus the K20. Faster operation, much quieter shutter, really fast frames per second. As far as iso is concerned, I feel like the K3 is about a stop better than the K20. With the K20, I felt like I topped out around iso 1600, on the K3, I top out at iso 3200 (iso 6400 will do in a pinch, but I avoid it for the most part). As to your shutter speeds, it depends on what you are shooting. If your shutter speeds on the K20 are 1 second and you have an f1.4 lens, it must be pretty dark, unless you just don't want to go up in iso. You'll certainly get a little faster shutter speed with the K3, but not a bunch.

Lenses are noisy if they are screw driven. May be a little quieter with the K3, but not a bunch.