Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 05:33 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The one item that I wish Pentax would change on their default setup is to have "use aperture ring" enabled. It makes no difference when using any of the auto aperture lenses, and you only set it once when you get a new body. But, it creates problems such as this when its not set.

Yes, it seems like the camera should come with it turned on already. Seems strange that it is turned off by factory default. It isn't as though it messes something up if you shoot a lens without an aperture ring on it with it turned on.

02-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I think some of the earlier posts also mentioned the aperture ring.
The thing is, if you have it enabled, you can still use DA lenses (which don't even have an aperture ring) normally, and you can use FA lenses (which have aperture ring with A -setting) normally, at the A setting or by choosing the aperture on the lens itself.
Glad everything worked out Maybe you could post a photo with your new setup
02-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The one item that I wish Pentax would change on their default setup is to have "use aperture ring" enabled. It makes no difference when using any of the auto aperture lenses, and you only set it once when you get a new body. But, it creates problems such as this when its not set.

I can give you a reason why I like to have use aperture ring setting disabled ....
I have no Non-A lenses, only A, FA and DA. At one point in time, I enabled "use aperture ring" and played with it for a while. Found I liked using the wheel better, forgot about the setting. Many months later, I put an FA lens on, inadvertently bumping the ring from A. Took me quite a while to figure why I could not adjust the aperture with the wheel, a large F--- on the screen would have told me the issue as soon as I placed the lens on the body.

It may not be a good reason, but it's a reason.
02-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #34

Switch on Shake Reduction and put to Av mode

02-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
I can give you a reason why I like to have use aperture ring setting disabled ....
I have no Non-A lenses, only A, FA and DA. At one point in time, I enabled "use aperture ring" and played with it for a while. Found I liked using the wheel better, forgot about the setting. Many months later, I put an FA lens on, inadvertently bumping the ring from A. Took me quite a while to figure why I could not adjust the aperture with the wheel, a large F--- on the screen would have told me the issue as soon as I placed the lens on the body.

It may not be a good reason, but it's a reason.
I understand your reason perfectly. I have a combination of M42, remounted Contax Zeiss / Leica, K, M, A, FA and DA lenses. Other than inadvertently taking the A and FA lenses out of the "A" mode (which does take some doing, with the button), I really do not see a down side to it. It would certainly save episodes like this - where, even with experienced professional photographers that are new to Pentax, have a bit of trouble. The only upside is that, the OP indicated that he understands and appreciates Pentax's engineered user interface as it pertains to old glass - something that other brands lack. Pentax is "different" than Nikon - in a well reasoned and thought out process.

02-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax + Nikon + Leica macro

So here's an photo of my macro setup. Notice lots of different components from various suppliers: Manfroto head, Hejnar Manfroto to Arca adapter, Arca plate RRS clamp, Nikon PB5 Bellows, Leitax Leica R to Nikon F adapter, Nikon F to Pentax K adapter, etc. :P

Previously I was able to take some stunning shots with this setup using my D800. My expectation is that the K-3 with its crop sensor will allow me a bit more "reach".

Here's a link to the above page: All sizes | Macro Stack 23 (36"x48") | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As a side note: the cheap Chinese Nikon F to Penta K adapter doesn't align the lens to the body perfectly as you can just see in the photo. I guess you get what you pay for!

Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 02-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.
02-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Wow, that is an amazing setup! And good results, too

02-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Picture is stunning. But the set up! Wow! No way I will be able to put that together. I really appreciate your presence on the forum. Your somewhat outside perspective is energizing and inspiring even if your equipment intimidates.