Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes it's hilarious to see the the insecurity of some "Pentaxians" that comes out with the venom toward a review site that looks at the whole camera market reality, and not just their "chosen brand." Oftentimes, though, it's just sad.

Perhaps you don't agree with what's written on dpreview or dxomark or lensrentals blog or wherever the latest "attack on the one truth of Pentax" is... here's a mental health tip: stop reading that site and try to be happy with the gear you have. If you really really need validation for your choice of camera, look at your photos. I'm sure there are some good ones in there somewhere!

[Ahem. And now watch the venom be predictably directed at me as a "heretic" or "infidel" or whatever chosen term comes up. Jeez!]

02-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing.

I can't say I've noticed much unfair bias against Pentax. Their very positive review of the K-5 helped me to decide to join Pentax two years ago. Last time I looked over that review, I seem to recall their criticisms were pretty reasonable. I think that most of their Pentax reviews point out how good the Pentax ergonomics are in general, how the menus are so well designed, and how the pentaprisms and twin control dials are differentiating features.

Maybe they are less critical of the other brands, and I just don't know this because I only have my Pentax gear to judge.
02-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The K-3 was already the winner. The new results are for the best product of 2013 and Olympus OM-D E-M1 is the winner.
02-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I thought it was the long awaited review which would give the K-3 backhanded compliments.

02-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sometimes it's hilarious to see the the insecurity of some "Pentaxians" that comes out with the venom toward a review site that looks at the whole camera market reality, and not just their "chosen brand." Oftentimes, though, it's just sad.

Perhaps you don't agree with what's written on dpreview or dxomark or lensrentals blog or wherever the latest "attack on the one truth of Pentax" is... here's a mental health tip: stop reading that site and try to be happy with the gear you have. If you really really need validation for your choice of camera, look at your photos. I'm sure there are some good ones in there somewhere!

[Ahem. And now watch the venom be predictably directed at me as a "heretic" or "infidel" or whatever chosen term comes up. Jeez!]
I don't think it is the conclusions people object to so much as it is the incorrect information sometimes found in half-assed, incomplete reviews, and the delays it often seems to take to post a review of anything but a flagship camera.

FWIW, I just got a Q7 and I think their In-Depth review is about right, fair, detailed, even-handed and accurate. Sort of, 'if you must have this camera it will do well for you, but it is a compact camera sensor -- and there are alternatives'. 70% Rating is about right.

I stand by my earlier regarding banning Pentax Users in 2006. At one time one's 'DPR Ban-Date' was a common signature entry.
02-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm just wondering why the "planetary folding" begin.. Sorry for the OP post but I couldn't helped myself.
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Sorry, but that header isn't a reflection of how DPR views Pentax. We all know how that story goes; Although some choose to not believe it.
No, they did the absolute minimum they were forced to do; Acknowledge the voter's results. No way to avoid it. Bury it? Yes.
Want a list of cameras that were released after the K-3 and have received a full review already? Everything in the last 2+ months.
And their anti-Pentax bias shows in so many other ways it's laughable anyone with an open mind could ignore it. Slights, continual mention of Canikony 'superiority' in any Pentax review, product placement in their own photos, wrong or misleading information (oh, yes, they're just more familiar with Canon and Nikon. I forgot), deleting threads or posts (like this one) that dare to mention their dismissive and condescending attitude, errors of omission (oh, did we miss that feature, thanks for pointing it out!, Nikon has added that too and Canon will have it soon, with much larger lens selection...back to the Pentax) siccing their pack-wolf posters on anyone who dares to complain, just an overall attitude of superiority, that sneering 'We're better than you' vibe.
Why any dedicated Pentaxian would waste 10 seconds defending DPR is beyond me. They HATE us and you can smell it a mile away.
Think I'm wrong? Go there and look for a good word, anything positive about Pentax, that was written by the staff. ANYTHING. Hope you've got several hours to spare. Find one? Good,now, read the next sentence. The one where they add a caveat; 'Yes, the camera has some notable features, but...."
Every time.
Want to prove the truth? K-3 Review. Where is it? Nearly 30 independent reviews so far. One missing. Yes, they have the camera already.
That's what they do when they aren't forced to do anything.
I've read much more balanced and unbiased views of Pentax gear on Nikon and Canon forums, then have ever appeared on DPR. What does that say?
The only way it will ever change is when (not 'If') Pentax users quit that site and complain to advertisers like B+H or Adorama about the obvious bias. When it starts to cost them money, they'll reluctantly change. Not until.
(Not) JMO,
Ron
Sickening.

02-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I stand by my earlier regarding banning Pentax Users in 2006. At one time one's 'DPR Ban-Date' was a common signature entry.
LOL! I didn't get banned from DPR, but I very quickly figured out that in the forums it was a Canikon world.
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
LOL! I didn't get banned from DPR
As monochrome noted, being banned at DPR was a pretty common post here at PF a few years back. There are still a couple of active members here who were banned. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember both sites blocking posted links to the other's pages at one point.

Steve

(...never been banned...anywhere...been unfriended and blocked on facebook though )
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I think everything outside of here is a pretty much a Canikon world.
02-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know. I find DP Review tends to take longer doing their Pentax reviews than Canon/Nikon/Sony. They tend to ding Pentax for silly things (like lack of a dedicated video button, out dated menus) and ignore things that are real features (in body image stabilization). Finally, they often damn with faint praise, saying in their conclusions things like "a good camera for those who already have Pentax glass" and "good camera, but Pentax lens line up still seems to leave a lot to be desired." (I made up those quotes by the way).

Obviously people who are already using Pentax bodies aren't effected by such reviews, but it certainly can have the effect of turning folks to buying a D7100 or 70D instead.

Edit: Let me just say that I expect them to say nice things about the K3. I just expect them to say as well that Canon/Nikon has a better line up of glass (not sure why that has to be mentioned when your focus is the camera), that cheap full frame may be more value than the K3 and focus a lot on deficiencies in the K3s jpeg engine.

Last edited by Rondec; 02-03-2014 at 12:37 PM.
02-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, let's see if I have this right. The best solution to a problem is...ignore it?
Do you realize you're posting and reading on a forum that was created for the exact reasons I've stated? Because of the treatment of their 'chosen brand' and their loyalty, they were banned or ostracized. Is that 'sad'? No, what's sad is denial in the face of facts. Have you read any other posts on this thread?.
Maybe it will be my insecurity that causes them to rate the K-3 with a 81%, because, ya' know, it's not a Nikon or Canon. Nowhere near a D7100 or 70D in features, performance, value or quality.
You say we have a chosen brand. Well, that's true. But none of us has overall administrative control of a world-wide forum to spread our (right or wrong) opinions, do we? What happens if a multi-brand FORUM has a chosen brand or two? A favorite? Anyone who points that out, according to you, is sad and insecure. Because...what? The forum is right, so we must be wrong. Good thinking.
Continue to ignore the reality. It's worked so far.
I don't need validation from DPR. I want fairness and unbiased reviews. Equality.
Those who understand the problem, address it. All others, please get out of the way, maybe go take some pictures.
Ron
02-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #28

Guys, they gave the Sony A7 an 80%, and people all over the Internet, from bloggers to professional reviewers to some well respected forum members on other sites, are almost unequivocally praising the A7 and A7R as the most fantastic camera, driving up the pros and minimizing the cons (of which there are many, IMO, after having used the camera myself). Don't read too much into the DPReview stuff, they aren't out to get you.
02-03-2014, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Red Solo Cup Quote
Guys, they gave the Sony A7 an 80%, and people all over the Internet, from bloggers to professional reviewers to some well respected forum members on other sites, are almost unequivocally praising the A7 and A7R as the most fantastic camera, driving up the pros and minimizing the cons (of which there are many, IMO, after having used the camera myself). Don't read too much into the DPReview stuff, they aren't out to get you.
There reviews aren't necessarily factually bad, my gripe with regards to their treatment of pentax is that they usually wait about 9 months before releasing the review and usually try to qualify their compliments by saying that this is only a good choice if you are a current pentax user rather than if you are in the market to switch brands or are unaffiliated. And given the lag between release and review, competitors have usually announced or released something else and they are comparing an late cycle pentax features to newly released or pre-released claims made by others.

I think that site has a good bit of payola going on and Pentax has just never played ball with them.
02-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Definitely a conspiracy... definitely! They're out to get us and anyone who doesn't see this is ignoring reality!

For bonus fun, read what Richard Butler has to say about the delay in the K-3 review. (See? It is a conspiracy!)

BTW, if anyone can't tell, I like poking the beehives in certain britches. And look at my avatar; my hat is solid aluminum!

Last edited by panoguy; 02-03-2014 at 01:33 PM.