Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Actually, considering that the k-3 just won their little popularity contest, I'd say that means they need to jump its review priority to pretty near tops. But in that post they admit that they're nowhere near ready with a review for it...

02-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

Definitely a conspiracy... definitely! They're out to get us and anyone who doesn't see this is ignoring reality!

For bonus fun, read what Richard Butler has to say about the delay in the K-3 review. (See? It is a conspiracy!)

BTW, if anyone can't tell, I like poking the beehives in certain britches. And look at my avatar; my hat is solid aluminum!
I don't really buy it. They haven't reviewed it, because they believe that their readership is more interested in other cameras. Yet, their readership voted the K3 best camera of last year. On the other hand, the Nikon D7100 (a very similar camera) was released in March of 2013 and by April, there was a review up of an admittedly very complex camera.
02-03-2014, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They might not have a reviewer on paid staff who knows Pentax well enough to write a proper review. Sure, there are stringers like the woman who did a good enough job on the Q7, but no real qualified reviewer / writers.

Whereas they might have a dozen or two for Canon and Nikon and half a dozen each for Sony and Oly.

(I'm just making stuff up - but mine is about as credible as anything else on this thread).
02-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible DPR doesn't delve into the psyche of their readers to deliver what their analysis says the reader wants to hear, and that it's just by chance (camera/lens availability, timing, other site/life obligations) that some cameras get reviewed faster than others?

Last edited by geomez; 02-03-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: sppeling
02-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Is it possible DPR doesn't delve into the psyche of their readers to deliver what their analysis says the reader wants to hear, and that it's just by chance (camera/lens availability, timing, other site/life obligations) that some cameras get reviewed faster than others?
They are owned by Amazon, aren't they? I think they write based on what Amazon sells the most.
02-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They are owned by Amazon, aren't they? I think they write based on what Amazon sells the most.
Accusations of DPR not playing fairly have been around since before Amazon bought them.
02-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #37
Site Supporter

It's really not about "fairness", but about what's reasonable. Is it reasonable to delay reviewing a company's flagship product until halfway through the product cycle & then compare that product to ones from competitors' next generation rather than comparing it to cameras from its same generation?

02-05-2014, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sometimes it's hilarious to see the the insecurity of some "Pentaxians" that comes out with the venom toward a review site that looks at the whole camera market reality, and not just their "chosen brand." Oftentimes, though, it's just sad.

Perhaps you don't agree with what's written on dpreview or dxomark or lensrentals blog or wherever the latest "attack on the one truth of Pentax" is... here's a mental health tip: stop reading that site and try to be happy with the gear you have. If you really really need validation for your choice of camera, look at your photos. I'm sure there are some good ones in there somewhere!

[Ahem. And now watch the venom be predictably directed at me as a "heretic" or "infidel" or whatever chosen term comes up. Jeez!]
The way I see it, it isn't so much to do with insecurity or validation as it is about unfair practice on the part of DPR. If Pentax users needed validation from DPR, we should be seeing many of them jumping ship to Canikon. Reality though shows many Pentax users clinging on doggedly to their gear - simply because we know for a plain fact that it's GOOD STUFF.

The point is, DPR seem to have acquired a reputation of unfair bias towards Canikon. If these brands are held as the norm of photographic goodness, the gold standard by default, then it naturally follows that other brands must by definition be somehow deficient.

That's why we typically see veiled put-downs toward Pentax, along the lines of "... A pretty good camera, which existing Pentax users might want to consider." Perish the thought that a Canikon user might even consider it. End of the day, DPR are most unlikely to place a Pentax on the same level as Canon or Nikon, however good it may be.

For sake of argument, say that DPR are not in fact biased. That there exists a level playing field between brands. If this were true, then the following sort of comments which I've provided below (fictitious) should appear sometime in their reviews, but in fact they don't.

Examples:
1. In giving their closing remarks on a newly reviewed Canon body, they conclude: "... all said, a great body from Canon, but it needs to be noted that Canon do not have in body stabilization, and not all the lenses in their lineup are stabilized. This being the case, potential buyers for whom stabilization is critical are advised to look elsewhere."

All this is correct, but are DPR going to push the point like this?

2. "The EOSxxxD is another great camera from Canon, but prospective buyers need to be aware that not everyone is partial to Canon's menu structure, and for some, this could be a deal-changer. So try before you buy."

If at all this sounds ridiculous to our ears, it is only because DPR have succeeded to educate everyone that the Canon menu system is the ideal towards which other manufacturers (except Nikon) should endlessly be working. It's not true of course, but you would not know it reading DPR.

3. "We really liked the Nikon Dxxxx. It's got all the features we would expect, but we just can't help wondering how long more it will take before Nikon take a page out of Pentax's book and do something to improve the design of the all-important handgrip in their models. Indeed, Pentax cameras since the days of the K-7 have been rightly commended for the excellent ergonomics of their handgrip, with the recent K-3 somehow being able to improve on even that! With so many years gone by, we really think it's high time Nikon took a long and hard look at improving their DSLR handgrips."

Just try holding a D7000 versus a K-5 and you'll know what I mean.

4. "The Nikon Dxxxx is a fine piece of kit which comes highly recommended. However, it needs to be said that despite Nikon's considerable lens line-up, they do not have to date anything quite like Pentax's Limited range of primes, the latter steadily gaining a well deserved reputation for remarkable compactness and superb optical performance. This being the case, those looking towards a light weight travel system while demanding top-notch image quality are advised to look further afield."

Again, all correct, but you won't hear this being said.

Judge for yourself if a bias exists.

Okay, let's say for argument's sake that there IS a bias. So what? Just don't read DPR! (personally I hardly read them anymore).

Yet two things can be said in response to this:

One: DPR command a position of some authority and by their bias can significantly sway sales figures.
Two: Just by choosing not to read them does not in any way stop the injustice.

Some choose to hold their peace, which is a fair choice.

Others speak up.

Last edited by KDAFA; 02-05-2014 at 01:31 PM.
02-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Well put, @KDAFA DPR does the bare minimum required to retain the slightest modicum of objectivity and often the "victims" of their bias are people who are new to the camera market and don't have the privilege of experience to see their editorial bias year in and year out.
02-05-2014, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Well put, @KDAFA DPR does the bare minimum required to retain the slightest modicum of objectivity and often the "victims" of their bias are people who are new to the camera market and don't have the privilege of experience to see their editorial bias year in and year out.
I don't know what DPR you're reading, but the one I've read has not the slightest modicum of objectivity.
02-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #41
Boc

Photos: Albums
DPReview is going down in quality anyways. As I see, there are almost more mobile and gadget posts and reviews then real photo gear. Maybe in a couple of years it will be CEGReview (as in Consumer Electronics and Gadgets) and we will find the ocasional DSLR news between two LED TV-s and an MP4 player. By the way their reviews are more and more copy-paste from older ones.

As for anti-Pentax bias: we're photographers and our eyes and shutter-finger are the no.1 & 2 tools. Any camera is a good camera if we know how to use it. (it's only for us Pentaxians to know that Pentax is better :P)
02-08-2014, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #42
Inactive Account

And at this point, the word "review" being in their name doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they rarely do reviews.
02-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #43
Site Supporter

And at this point, the word "review" being in their name doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they rarely do reviews.
Oh, I very much agree with this.
02-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. I'm wondering why the biggest camera review site on the Internet, owned by Amazon, doesn't review all cameras, at least all ILCs. I haven't counted but I'd guess they maybe do a full review half of them.
02-12-2014, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

I didn't know that Pentaxforums was founded by former DPR members who had been banned by DPR for criticising DPR's bias.

I've given up participating on DPReview's Pentax forum anyway. In fact I don't really know why anyone would continue with DPR's Pentax SLR forum when the alternative is PF. I myself much prefer PF. Participants are much friendlier on the whole here and not as nasty to each other (most of the time). And the information and advice about Pentax products is way, way better here. Where else would you find such a comprehensive and well researched review about a new Pentax lens than Heie's review of the HD 55-300 lens?

Last edited by Gray; 02-12-2014 at 11:11 PM.