Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
Hey Class A,

Yes it seems more and more people are picking up on this. In fact, just yesterday, I linked to this very thread in a DPR Pentax DSLR Talk thread where again someone was asking why there seems to be a bias against Pentax at DPR. That thread has now been completely disappeared... I personally found the news that PentaxForums was started because of the dissatisfaction with DPR to be quite a revelation and thought that would be insightful for others to know as well. Looks like that may have been too much for them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Maybe it has been posted elsewhere already, but DPR no longer blocks links to pentaxforums.com.

Just in case you wanted to link to a thread here, you now can do so without resorting to tricks.

I've read most of DPR's arguments as to why reviews for Pentax cameras (including the K-3) always take so long. They blatantly admit that they are prioritising according to popularity. However, I cannot quite shake off the feeling that there is more to this than just being a small team that needs to focus on what is in high demand.

When reviews are late, there are often oddities like comparing the Pentax with its introduction price to a new Canikon product that does more for the same price, completely ignoring the much lower street price of the Pentax. Or the build quality of the D7100 is judged to be much better than that of the K-5 II, etc. The list goes on. Some of this could be a lack of systematic evaluation (it is admittedly very hard to apply the same standards of evaluation to all products across all brands) but some aspects (e.g., the skewed "value for money" evaluations) seem to be something other than incompetence. Maybe I'm wrong.

03-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Unfortunately, there seems to have always been a bias against Pentax cameras on DPReviews. I know because years ago I was banned for very strongly arguing the point while I was sponsored by Pentax. They have seemed to have lightened up a bit as of late.
03-05-2014, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

I rarely bother with DPR these days. They are terrified of losing money from Canon/Nikon/Oly sales by recommending Pentax gear. Despite their name, they review very, very little these days, concentrating instead on the easy business of posting small news items (or complete rubbish, such as their recent pot-hole article) and selling people the gear they think they want having done no research.
03-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I rarely bother with DPR these days. They are terrified of losing money from Canon/Nikon/Oly sales by recommending Pentax gear. Despite their name, they review very, very little these days, concentrating instead on the easy business of posting small news items (or complete rubbish, such as their recent pot-hole article) and selling people the gear they think they want having done no research.
My thoughts exactly. They are talking much more about cell phones than about anything else, and when they do, surprisingly it's consistently to say that Canikon are the only products worth looking at.

03-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went over there and looked at The Gear Shop just to see if directly links to Amazon. I never actually tried because I was disgusted by the series of "2013 Readers' Choice" recommendations. NOTE: the K3, Winner, is not in the list. At least I didn't see it.
03-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #66
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Unfortunately, there seems to have always been a bias against Pentax cameras on DPReviews. I know because years ago I was banned for very strongly arguing the point while I was sponsored by Pentax. They have seemed to have lightened up a bit as of late.
They are probably just lightening up to strike some fear into canon, nikon, or sony to shake them down for some more payola.