Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
And if you're a Nikon shooter you're not even considered as professional until you own at least two "pro" grade cameras to join the Nikon professional service support. D600/610 is not included. :P I would hope the Df isn't either. D800 or D4 owners only club
... as well as: D2, D200, D3, D3s, D3x, D300, D300s, D700 also quality as pro bodies for NPS.

Michael

02-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
... as well as: D2, D200, D3, D3s, D3x, D300, D300s, D700 also quality as pro bodies for NPS.

Michael

Oh yea that's right. I was focusing on new product though.
02-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
In order for a camera to be professional, it would need to have a creditcard slot, so you can pay it. I don't think there is room for that on Pentax cameras.
02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Canon Professional Services - About CPS

Canon Professional Services includes event support, show support, equipment loans, 24/7 support, 2 day service turnaround, repairs, maintenance service (i.e. tuneups for non-broken stuff), etc.

If you shoot Canon at the Olympics, you get access to the gear room:
Inside Look: Canon's Gear Room at the London 2012 Olympics | Popular Photography

02-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote

Canon Professional Services includes event support, show support, equipment loans, 24/7 support, 2 day service turnaround, repairs, maintenance service (i.e. tuneups for non-broken stuff), etc.

Inside Look: Canon's Gear Room at the London 2012 Olympics | Popular Photography
I have no love for Canon gear (hate the ergonomics and menus) but that gear room is drool inducing.
02-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote

This stuff is why Pentax / Ricoh is not likely to attempt direct head-to-head competition with Canon and Nikon any time soon. It would be financially destructive, even for Ricoh.

We should be happy Ricoh can invest the marginal money in something other than professional support the vast majority of us will never use, but for which we would pay a little something with every purchase we made.
02-06-2014, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A valid point is that if Nikon considers the D200, D300, and D300s professional, then by all rights, the K-3 is also professional as it matches or exceeds the features of these pro-level DX cameras. The point made earlier about SUPPORT is a very good one -- NPS offers professionals rentals and other benefits (e.g. they often offer Nikon pros sensor-cleaning sessions delivered in private rooms at various conventions). And of course, the "infrastructure" for supporting CaNikon (software, hardware, accessories) dwarfs what any other camera manufacturer has. But then, one could say the same of Leica or Hasselblad -- their ecosystems are no more robust than Pentax's. My take: the K-3 is a pro-level system that is being purchased primarily by advanced amateurs, prosumers, and forward-thinking professionals.

Michael

02-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My take: the K-3 is a pro-level system that is being purchased primarily by advanced amateurs, prosumers, and forward-thinking professionals.
There you have it in a nutshell.

Steve
02-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Pentax doesn't really have professional service and support.
Canon doesn't have non professional support. As far as support goes give me Pentax any day.
02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Because of: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-302.html#post2679329

02-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #41
Veteran Member

My take: the K-3 is a pro-level system that is being purchased primarily by advanced amateurs, prosumers, and forward-thinking professionals.

Michael
A camera, by itself, is not a system though... a system includes pro support, lenses for every occassion and situation, and flash options/functionality like Nikon's CLS.
02-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Actually Pentax/Ricoh does have professional services.
PENTAX - PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS

From what I've seen, "pro" cameras are either high end full frame or medium format. They never seem to be cropped sensor.
02-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
A camera, by itself, is not a system though... a system includes pro support, lenses for every occassion and situation, and flash options/functionality like Nikon's CLS.
While Pentax's flash system can be annoying in its badly executed menu system, it does have its own CLS abilities. Correct me if I'm wrong but PTTL does work in wireless mode, and CLS is essentially PTTL in wireless.
02-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

And if your a Nikon shooter your not even considered as professional until you own at least two "pro" grade cameras to join the Nikon professional service support. D600/610 is not included. :P I would hope the Df isn't either. D800 or D4 owners only club
Yup and unlike Canon, you also have to have over 1/2 of your income generated by photography and need someone already in the program to sponsor you. I don't think that's a bad model. It keeps the program to what most would consider a professional and that is someone that earns a substantial part of their income from photography. In Canon land any hobbyist with enough money for the better bodies and lenses can join CPS, they don't have to earn a cent from photography.

For some the existence of a program like this is a must have and I suspect that for some in the Canon camp it's a status thing.

If you are a Pentaxian who depends on your camera to put food on the table I think the mantra of the day is redundancy in bodies and lenses because their is no support network to have you back up and running quickly. There are far fewer rental houses that stock Pentax and few retail outlets to pick replacements up same day.
02-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #45
Veteran Member

While Pentax's flash system can be annoying in its badly executed menu system, it does have its own CLS abilities. Correct me if I'm wrong but PTTL does work in wireless mode, and CLS is essentially PTTL in wireless.
CLS is a lot more than just triggering flash wirelessly.